12x148 (boost) rear, 15x100 front?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

12x148 (boost) rear, 15x100 front?

I'm close to getting this:
    https://cinelli.it/en/prodotti/hobootleg-geo-en/

Rear spacing is 12x148. One thing that nags me is that the fork is 15x100 instead of the boost familiar 15x110. How crap is 15x100 from a future proofing perspective? Whelsets that works for 15x100 seem hard to find. 15x110 and 12x148 pairs are plenty.

Salsa Fargo is a very similar bike and has a 15x110 fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I'd be more concerned about the fact that there are basically zero new forks with that spacing and so if you had to replace the fork, you'd be rebuilding the front wheel.

The new standards were pretty much pointless to institute, but they are here to stay and I wouldn't buy a bike that didn't use them front and rear.

mtbr member
    I believe Fox has 15x100 on all models and Rockshox has most available in 15x100. I know Pike and Lyriks are still available in 15x100.

If you need a 15x100 hub in the future...I don't think you'll have to worry about availability. Just about every hub manufacturer still produces 15x100 front hubs.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I'd be more concerned about the fact that there are basically zero new forks with that spacing and so if you had to replace the fork, you'd be rebuilding the front wheel.

The new standards were pretty much pointless to institute, but they are here to stay and I wouldn't buy a bike that didn't use them front and rear.
    It's super easy to convert a front wheel to boost, just takes two 5mm spacers and a brake-spacer, available on ebay for super cheap and quick. The only problem happens when you have centerlock, but there's an MRP solution for that too, if you use at least a 180mm brake rotor.

A converted 15x100mm wheel works fine, I have two of them on two different bikes. Don't overthink it, get what you think is best.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

This place needs an enema
    Easy and cheap to convert a 15 x 100 hub to 15 x 110, especially if it uses a 6 bolt rotor.

NedwannaB
    Not sure what the OP is concerned with...
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member

Did anyone actually click the link? All this talk of needing a new fork, fox options and 180 rotors makes me think not.

The bike is a gravel bike/drop bar 29er. Fully rigid with a steel fork.

No I donít see a problem with it having a non boost wheel. It is easy enough to find non boost wheels, especially used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post
    Did anyone actually click the link? All this talk of needing a new fork, fox options and 180 rotors makes me think not.

What is your point, what does that change? Some people do put suspension forks on gravel grinders. Many people go with 180mm front rotors and it's generally not considered an issue. The point was to bring up the possible issues and make them known. In general, it's not an issue was the point we were making.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What is your point, what does that change? Some people do put suspension forks on gravel grinders. Many people go with 180mm front rotors and it's generally not considered an issue. The point was to bring up the possible issues and make them known. In general, it's not an issue was the point we were making.
    I also said it was a non issue in the last part of my post.

I said the other part because bringing up compatible suspension forks and potentially boosting the front wheel etc. seems out of left field when the bike linked is a rigid bike and nowhere is it hinted at that he intends to add a suspension fork or put a centerlock 180 on it. But I see your point that it is a possibility.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post

No I donít see a problem with it having a non boost wheel. It is easy enough to find non boost wheels, especially used.

This^^^. Yeah. Upgrade to a boost suspension/rigid fork and wheel later as/if needed like we do on mtbs. Or not. 😁
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks all for your input. My question was not thought through and kind of crap. My concern was that it's more difficult and expensive to find boost rear and 15x100 front whelsets. I'm just buying the frameset, not the complete bike, so that matters.

It also seems difficult to find fork replacements with very close A-C measurements as it's not suspension corrected. 468mm A-C rather than the more common 480/483mm Fargo/Krampus as an example. Not sure those 15mm makes much difference at all though.

mtbr member
    that a-c length should be easy to find for a touring/ cx/ gravel bike, but most of the options will be carbon fiber and $$.

putting a suspension fork on that particular bike would be pretty weird. maybe one of those super-short "gravel" forks, but even a 80mm fork would throw off the geometry in weird ways.

worst case scenario, you have to
    1. buy a separate front and rear wheel. I've built most of the wheels I've ridden from the hub, rim, and spokes so I don't have much experience with buying wheel "sets". 15x100 hubs are not going anywhere any time soon.
    2. what are road disc hubs now, 12x100 or something? if you have to get a boost rigid fork for some reason during the life of that bike, you can put boost spacers on the hub. no big deal. that's what I am doing to my mtb right now because I bought a new fork and want to use my old 100mm spaced hub.

either way, that bike looks rad. I suppose the used a 148 spaced rear to work with modern drivetrain stuff and used the 100mm front because it's been around a long time and works fine for the front on a bike like that.