'11 Lynksey Pro 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! '11 Lynksey Pro 29er

I think she's hawt! Just got her built up, but can't ride for another couple weeks . Coming from a 09.5 Ridgeline, the most striking visual difference is the massive down tube. Also, the plate stays aren't just pretty, they have tons of room... no problem w/ a 2.25 Specialized Captain w/ the sliders mostly forward. I think I'm in love

Mudder
    congrats, looks good

mtbr member
    Awesome bike! I got the opportunity to ride the 2011 frame in Chattanooga a few weeks ago. I was amazed at how solid the bike felt. I have a custom Lynskey from a year back or so. I had mine built to be super burly but after riding the new frame it felt even more so. It was very snappy too. I found myself launching little rollers on the trail, something I don't do as often on my current bike. IMO the new 2011 Pro 29 has addressed every short coming the 29'er platform has been suffering from since it's development. 1.5" head tube, huge down tube, wide bottom bracket, loads of tire clearance, improved sliders, etc. I just don't see any short comings. Just wish I could afford another one.

AEC
    mtbr member
    o that is nice. whats the final weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AEC
    o that is nice. whats the final weight?
    Don't know the weigh, but I'll try and do the bathroom scale thing... The frame was 7oz more than my 09.5 Ridgeline.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Very nice! My XL showed up just before the new year. It'll be another month or two before I get it built up though. In person the frame is amazing, not sure pictures do it justice. Can't wait to race it this year.

Where'd you get your headset? Which top/bottom cups are you using specifically?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    Very nice! My XL showed up just before the new year. It'll be another month or two before I get it built up though. In person the frame is amazing, not sure pictures do it justice. Can't wait to race it this year.

Where'd you get your headset? Which top/bottom cups are you using specifically?
    I had Lynskey ship the frame w/ the headset installed...it's a Cane Creek 110 ZS. My Reba is not tapered...if it were, I'd have gotten the Cane Creek XX ZS-3.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe
    I had Lynskey ship the frame w/ the headset installed...it's a Cane Creek 110 ZS. My Reba is not tapered...if it were, I'd have gotten the Cane Creek XX ZS-3.
    Thanks for the info. I probably should have done the same, although I'm planning to use a tapered reba or fox (if only fox had a tapered terralogic!). Figure I might as well take advantage of the monster headtube. Starting to worry if I go with crest or 355 rims they're going to feel like wet noodles with the added stiffness of the frame/fork/etc.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    If you want to use tapered you use a ZS upper and the XX44 lower.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    pretty....I'm diggin the oversized headtube!

mtbr member
    Its nice, but I just cant seem to fully like that twisted down tube plus I can't afford it untill 2012-13 and hopefully by then those tubes will be fatter and twisted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    bathroom scale says 23.8lbs...

mtbr member
    Nice.....Niner ONE9 is sweet 2....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

mtbr member
    What bar do you have on that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Groovy Ti Luv Handle (28")... great bar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll let you ride it Dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer
    Its nice, but I just cant seem to fully like that twisted down tube .
    Ditto.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete
    Ditto.

SPP
    If we all liked the same things, it would be a boring world. I like the twisted tubes...duh, I bought it

mtbr member
    This is one of my favorite frames available right now. If I was building a new bike, I'd have a very difficult time deciding between this and an A9C. You did a great job on this build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    very nice. can you guys explain why lynskey went with the helix tubing style? does it actually have any performance advantages?

mtbr member
    Hum, kinda ho, hum build huh Cytoe As usual you don't go the cheap route. Not a fan of those twisted tubes though, just can't seem to like them No plans on running this thign geared? If so from the tyre clearance with the stays where they are it'd have to be 1x9/10 from the looks of it. What do the chainstays measure right now set to what I'd consider the shortest for MTB use?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    Thanks for the info. I probably should have done the same, although I'm planning to use a tapered reba or fox (if only fox had a tapered terralogic!). Figure I might as well take advantage of the monster headtube. Starting to worry if I go with crest or 355 rims they're going to feel like wet noodles with the added stiffness of the frame/fork/etc.
    Fox does have a tapered terralogic FYI, I received a quote for one for my big top build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85
    This is one of my favorite frames available right now. If I was building a new bike, I'd have a very difficult time deciding between this and an A9C. You did a great job on this build.
    I love the A9C but would go with Ti over carbon for an MTB. I crashed a Superfly a while back and won't ride a carbon MTB again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dblvanos
    Fox does have a tapered terralogic FYI, I received a quote for one for my big top build.
    Yes. Part number 910-01-256
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Hum, kinda ho, hum build huh Cytoe As usual you don't go the cheap route. Not a fan of those twisted tubes though, just can't seem to like them No plans on running this thign geared? If so from the tyre clearance with the stays where they are it'd have to be 1x9/10 from the looks of it. What do the chainstays measure right now set to what I'd consider the shortest for MTB use?
    Already used to twisted...my Fatback snow bike has a twisted down tube. The larger twisted down tube looks even better. Gears? Bahaaahaha. If I did want to wuss out...with the plate stays, there's tons of clearance for chainrings. Not sure how much front derailleur clearance there is in this position though. When you coming back up here to ride?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell
    Yes. Part number 910-01-256
    Thanks for the part number! Wonder why they don't show the combination on the fox site?

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was talking FD clearance as far as gears go. HUm, can't say I recall the fatback having a twisted DT Not sure when I'll get back up there, but going to try and get back into the Photog biz down here and see if that can generate some $$, if only I B&H would get in some D7000s already

Already used to twisted...my Fatback snow bike has a twisted down tube. The larger twisted down tube looks even better. Gears? Bahaaahaha. If I did want to wuss out...with the plate stays, there's tons of clearance for chainrings. Not sure how much front derailleur clearance there is in this position though. When you coming back up here to ride?
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I was talking FD clearance as far as gears go. HUm, can't say I recall the fatback having a twisted DT Not sure when I'll get back up there, but going to try and get back into the Photog biz down here and see if that can generate some $$, if only I B&H would get in some D7000s already
    Embrace the twist

Pints&Pedals
    Jul 2010
    Nice build. Should have mine by the weekend. Had to wait 2 1/2 months for it...and I am itching to get it out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    First ride today on my Pro 29r was rather disappointing, The amount of flex when pressing on the bars and pushing the opposite direction with the seat was uncomfortable. Is this limp noodle ride part of Titanium and the lynskey design? Sure its a lively ride, But compared to my Scandium frames its a flexy flyer. I only rode on a paved asphalt path, I can only imagine the flex when off road. Do I give it more time or shall I try to recoup my money and move on? Seems like alot of energy will be wasted each pedal stroke...Thoughts??????????

get down!
    one ride? how heavy are you? what seatpost?

seems you would at least want to ride it more than once and def. on a trail (it IS a mountain bike) before deciding
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed
    one ride? how heavy are you? what seatpost?

seems you would at least want to ride it more than once and def. on a trail (it IS a mountain bike) before deciding
    188lbs and a thomson elite, Unfortunately, ive been riding/racing bicycles for 26 years and I know very quickly if I like a bike or not, It definately doesnt ride like my Kona Hei Hei Ti circa 96. I believe my LBS I bought it from will give me a store credit for the frame, So all isnt lost. I am a bit impulsive

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kracko
    188lbs and a thomson elite, Unfortunately, ive been riding/racing bicycles for 26 years and I know very quickly if I like a bike or not, It definately doesnt ride like my Kona Hei Hei Ti circa 96. I believe my LBS I bought it from will give me a store credit for the frame, So all isnt lost. I am a bit impulsive
    You have a 2010 frame, not 2011 correct? The 2011s should be a bit stiffer, but I'm ~190 and raced a 2010 for a good part of last season (XL), can't say I ever felt like it was flexy. What scandium frame(s) are you comparing it to? What are you running for suspension, not 120mm still right? Are you comparing it to other 29ers, or 26ers? Is the setup similar to other bikes you've had? Something doesn't sound right, almost makes me wonder if something is loose. I'd definitely give it more time, took me a few rides before I was completely comfortable on mine... as with most new bikes/setups.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    2010 model, The my scandium bikes are Niner One 9 and Kona King Kahuna, 29r All these bikes are set up allmost identical, suspension, groupo, bars etc...Everything is tightened to spec, Fit wise the bike was awesome, I just couldnt get past the torsional flex of the thing.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kracko
    2010 model, The my scandium bikes are Niner One 9 and Kona King Kahuna, 29r All these bikes are set up allmost identical, suspension, groupo, bars etc...Everything is tightened to spec, Fit wise the bike was awesome, I just couldnt get past the torsional flex of the thing.....
    I owned a One 9 and tried a had a 2010 Pro for a few weeks. I did not feel flex on either...and I don't feel flex on my 2009.5 Ridegline. So I'm sure I won't feel flex on my 2011 Pro. Perhaps I'm flex feeling impaired.

mtbr member
    Cytoe, If I may, what chain do you got there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber999
    Cytoe, If I may, what chain do you got there?
    KMC 710sl...highly recommended,

mtbr member
    You're also a "little people", so a lot shorter tubes than us normal sized people
    I owned a One 9 and tried a had a 2010 Pro for a few weeks. I did not feel flex on either...and I don't feel flex on my 2009.5 Ridegline. So I'm sure I won't feel flex on my 2011 Pro. Perhaps I'm flex feeling impaired.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You're also a "little people", so a lot shorter tubes than us normal sized people
    Since most bikes are designed around normal people like me, that makes you the the freak eh? or at least SOL.

mtbr member
    But absolutely right I've been saying that for so many years now, that msot bikes are designed around S/M and then made to work with the bigger sizes and not properly tested in the XL sizes
    Since most bikes are designed around normal people like me, that makes you the the freak eh? or at least SOL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Check the direction of the chain on the lynsky, I think the inside is facing out and the outside is facing in... I cant really tell from the photos though. The side that has less of a cut out and looks flatter is supposed to face out I believe...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby doo
    Check the direction of the chain on the lynsky, I think the inside is facing out and the outside is facing in... I cant really tell from the photos though. The side that has less of a cut out and looks flatter is supposed to face out I believe...
    Hmm...the inside and outside look the same too me. Never heard of a chain having a direction.

mtbr member
    The NEW 10spd DynaSys from Shimano is directional, so they say Guess maybe they figured out how to better match the cutout of the chain with the ramping on the cassette and rings Most reports don't seem to indicate it's much better than the old 9spd stuff, no clue about SRAM stuff - Shimano chains last longer.

Hmm...the inside and outside look the same too me. Never heard of a chain having a direction.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The NEW 10spd DynaSys from Shimano is directional, so they say Guess maybe they figured out how to better match the cutout of the chain with the ramping on the cassette and rings Most reports don't seem to indicate it's much better than the old 9spd stuff, no clue about SRAM stuff - Shimano chains last longer.
    XO user here, the SRAM PC1091 and 1091R chains are non directional, But they utilize a power "lock" master link which is not removeable instead of the power "link" which is reuseable, At least thats what Im told by the LBS. Im going to try a KMC 10speed connector and see if it affects shiting performance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby doo
    I agree it looks inside out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dvo1
    I agree it looks inside out.
    Errrr... you guys are right. The chain is upside down

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    it happens to the best of us... sick bike though! makes me wanna trade my aluminum stumpy for a ti or steel bike...

Members who have read this thread: 0