10',11' Rockhopper SL 29er Thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    I Have Cookies

10',11' Rockhopper SL 29er Thoughts?

Looking to step into the 29er world and was wondering if any of you had and experience with one? Did not test ride cause the LBS only had 17" frame in stock. Looks like a promising replacement for my '05 Rockhopper 26er. It will be mainly used for commuter/fun bike duty...... any thoughts?
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    Looking to step into the 29er world and was wondering if any of you had and experience with one? Did not test ride cause the LBS only had 17" frame in stock. Looks like a promising replacement for my '05 Rockhopper 26er. It will be mainly used for commuter/fun bike duty...... any thoughts?
    Don't know what you mean by 10' 11'.

I have a 2009 Rockhopper SS and it's wonderful, except for the rubbery front wheel. Why they spec'ed a 28 hole wheel on a 29er is beyond me.
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I think it is a fun bike to ride, especially for the use you mentioned. It steers much straighter with a better wheel set and the Recon fork combo that I have on the frame-up build right now.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I think he means '10, '11.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte

I have a 2009 Rockhopper SS and it's wonderful, except for the rubbery front wheel. Why they spec'ed a 28 hole wheel on a 29er is beyond me.
    Looking @ the website I can't tell if they are calling it a '10 or a '11. Well I just looked @ the website and the bike is gone and was a '10 model in the bright red
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    The bright red one was the '10 model for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Love mine.

I've spent years on other bikes, including custom. I think they did really well with the geometry with this bike. Plus the eccentric BB seems to be working well after 12 plus hard rides... Also, considering that it has an eccentric BB, the large frame comes in right at 4 pounds which isn't bad at all for a budget frame.

All in all I would highly recommend it, but that is the frame only. I built it up with my own parts.

Nate

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    I've spent years on other bikes, including custom. I think they did really well with the geometry with this bike. Plus the eccentric BB seems to be working well after 12 plus hard rides... Also, considering that it has an eccentric BB, the large frame comes in right at 4 pounds which isn't bad at all for a budget frame.

All in all I would highly recommend it, but that is the frame only. I built it up with my own parts.

Nate
    I looked @ the '11 frame to bad they don't offer the "geared" frame only I have alot of great parts to build one. I must have gears for the hills and terrain I ride here in hawaii.

____
    Kimo

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Why not buy a basemodel and sell the rest of the stock stuff?

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn
    Why not buy a basemodel and sell the rest of the stock stuff?
    Well thats what I did on my current Rockhopper. Sounds like a plan! Order the bike and a fork @ the same time...... thats the least I'd need to do.

____
    Kimo

Enjoyin' life....
    I bought a 2010 Rockhopper Expert 29, rode the hell out of it then swapped parts as needed over the next six months. New fork, X9 RD, SLX crank, Flows rims, Ragley bars, Salsa stem, new Jagwire cabling.

I really like this bike and felt the price paid for the fun had was worth it. I was able to add and replace as I went along and figured out what I wanted.
    Wally

Members who have read this thread: 0