09 GT Peace 29er Multi Headset recommendation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

09 GT Peace 29er Multi Headset recommendation

I noticed some play in my headset, so I loosen the bult and try to tighten the steam and realized that my headset is shot. Feels bit of play when braking. I need new headset now. I knew that a lot of complained about the stock headset. This is my first time shopping for headset and need size info and recommendation.
    I currently have Rockshox reba sl 11/8' install and not sure what size headset to get. I know that inner need to be 11/8, however, is there different size for outer? Or 11/8 has default size of outer. Also, not sure if I need THREADLESS HEADSET or thread headset. Please, help. I am looking into $30 to $40 headset.

GT website shows this info on headset - TH, standard press-in 1-1/8" alloy cups, cage bearings. TH? Is that threadless?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by calisun; 08-14-2010 at 05:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    First are you adjusting it correctly? Loosen stem bolts, tighten top cap bolt until no play or binding is felt, then tighten stem.

The Cane Creek S-3 is one of my favorite "budget" headsets. I've bought them for $25 shipped from ebay. Most shops charge $15 to install...so $40 total is a good deal.

You need a 1 1/8" threadless headset.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yes, I opened it up noticed few balls are missing too. I did have s3 headset on my old bike and I really like them. Thank you!

FSA Orbit Xtreme MTB Bike Threadless 1 1/8" Headset - How is this headset?
    Last edited by calisun; 08-14-2010 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'd just go with the standard Cane Creek S-3 1 1/8" threadless, as was mentioned above. I junked the OEM headset as soon as I got my Peace 9r.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just fitted a S-3 to my new frame cause it was all they had in the shop, I've been running FSA XL2's for years without an issue, although the sealing is better on the S-3 ( not really a issue got FSA XL2's running for 5years+ ) the S-3 Creaks in use, the bearings just aren't as good as the XL2's.

XL2 is cheaper to I think around here anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For my rigid, due to the stresses at the lower bearings I went even cheaper FSA Pig the massive over sized lower bearings really stiffen up the ride and hopefully they'll take the stress of hits going straight through them.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Agree on crappy headset on this GT Peace. Headset dead after total 50 mile ride of XC.

Don't get me wrong, I love this bike.

I have few upgrades and still looking for more.

Current Upgrade so far,

Rock Shox Reba SL set at 100mm
    Eastern 70 Stem
    Eastern 70 Seat Post with Avatar Saddle.

Future upgrade.

Well, new headset. I have my options open since this is my 2nd bike, I am not in a crazy hurry. I am looking some Chris King, FSA or Cane Creek headset.
    Looking into Avid Elixir CR brake - Stock brake is okay and stops me fine but not sure how reliable in the future.
    New crankset
    New rear deraileur if current cheapo breaks. Possible Sram Xo with x9 trigger. No need for front since I just converted to 1x9
    Possibly new wheel set but I am happy with the stock one so far.
    New handlebar, looking into race face next low rise. I had this on my past bike and I love little flex.
    Since, I don't want to invest too much on this bike, I been looking at some ebay listings.

Members who have read this thread: 0