• 08-19-2009
    Drum
    '08 RH Disc 29 - Worth putting money into?
    Hey folks,
    I have a 2008 Rockhopper Disc 29'er that I bought last Spring and have (with help here) just about "dialed in" to me, fit-wise. (I talked myself into a 21" when a 19" might have been better for my 6'1" fatboy frame.) I have since changed stem and adjusted my seating position and handlebars/grips to where I DO find the bike to be both comfortable and enjoyable to ride.

LBS is all Specialized and I was coming back into biking after a ten year absence, so I was more eager than choosy when shopping for a new ride. I fell in love with the orange M4 frame with the bomber motif and I made myself like the big bike.

90% of the riding I do is on relatively mellow cleared trails and miles and miles of perfectly flat canal tow path.

All that said, after putting a few hundred miles on the bike in the last few months, I am starting to sense limitations in the suspension fork (RS Dart 3) and the brakes (Avid BB5).

In shopping around for upgrades, I am more than a little surprised by the price points, especially the fork.

I am also seeing lots of really cool steel, sometimes handmade, hardtails that remind me of my favorite bikes of yore.

Which brings me to my question(s);

- Is my RH worthy of perhaps $500-1000 (If I do wheels/drivetrain too) worth of upgrades or would I be better off selling this for say $500 and buying a $1000-1500 complete bike that already has the upgraded parts, more or less.

- I love to buy American and, even more so, local products and I have thus developed an attraction for the Pennsylvania-made EWR OWB 29er. Figure it would cost me almost $4000 for a top of the line build on one of those.
    Am I crazy to even consider such a beast when I have a perfectly good (and possibly upgraded) RH to ride on my relatively un-challenging paths?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this obviously subjective set of questions.

Cheers,
    Drum
  • 08-19-2009
    LBIkid
    While I can totally respect your desire to buy local, it doesn't sound to me like you need a $4000 bike, given your description of the trails that you ride. My advice is to stick with the bike that you have if you are finally happy with the fit. I don't think it will cost you $1000 to upgrade the fork, wheels and components to a level adequate for your riding. If I were you, I'd look no further than a Tora fork - Reba would probably be nice, but overkill. There are plenty of good wheelsets out there based around an XT hub that are more than sufficient for tow path and groomed trail riding that can be had for around $200. Component wise, not sure what you currently have, but Deore should be fine for your riding. You can bump up to SLX if you want for a little more.

The fit is key. If what you have fits now, then I think with some tempered and frugal shopping, you can upgrade to a level on par with your riding style. FWIW, I should follow my own advice ;) .
  • 08-19-2009
    cbrock450
    Ride the bike you have for now and look for a sweet deal this winter. The one that the guy has to unload for a incredible price. Wait until spring time and then sell the bike that you have when the market is much better for an entry level bike.
    Or be frugal and find some take off parts like a used reba and other assorted parts.
    If you are thinking about buying from your LBS and pay retail or close to it I would just sell the bike you have and start over.
    Sounds like you have already made up your mind you want a higher end bike even though you are happy with what you got.
    Good Luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drum
    Hey folks,
    I have a 2008 Rockhopper Disc 29'er that I bought last Spring and have (with help here) just about "dialed in" to me, fit-wise. (I talked myself into a 21" when a 19" might have been better for my 6'1" fatboy frame.) I have since changed stem and adjusted my seating position and handlebars/grips to where I DO find the bike to be both comfortable and enjoyable to ride.

LBS is all Specialized and I was coming back into biking after a ten year absence, so I was more eager than choosy when shopping for a new ride. I fell in love with the orange M4 frame with the bomber motif and I made myself like the big bike.

90% of the riding I do is on relatively mellow cleared trails and miles and miles of perfectly flat canal tow path.

All that said, after putting a few hundred miles on the bike in the last few months, I am starting to sense limitations in the suspension fork (RS Dart 3) and the brakes (Avid BB5).

In shopping around for upgrades, I am more than a little surprised by the price points, especially the fork.

I am also seeing lots of really cool steel, sometimes handmade, hardtails that remind me of my favorite bikes of yore.

Which brings me to my question(s);

- Is my RH worthy of perhaps $500-1000 (If I do wheels/drivetrain too) worth of upgrades or would I be better off selling this for say $500 and buying a $1000-1500 complete bike that already has the upgraded parts, more or less.

- I love to buy American and, even more so, local products and I have thus developed an attraction for the Pennsylvania-made EWR OWB 29er. Figure it would cost me almost $4000 for a top of the line build on one of those.
    Am I crazy to even consider such a beast when I have a perfectly good (and possibly upgraded) RH to ride on my relatively un-challenging paths?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this obviously subjective set of questions.

Cheers,
    Drum

• 08-19-2009
    briank10
    Hold on to what you have until winter, like cbrock said. I personally woudn't buy another bike.
  • 08-19-2009
    Drum
    That's good advice and definitely the way I am leaning.

Maybe it is my rabbit ears picking up on all the "disrespect" for Specialized that made me wonder whether it would be foolish to hang a bunch of swanky components on one of their frames.

While I used to prefer steel to aluminum, I must say that this M4 frame has not bothered me as too stiff or uncomfortable ride-wise.

And although I still think the frame is probably slightly too big for technical trails or jumping, I really do like the way it makes me feel flying down the wide flat paths at break neck speed.

Mine is a good solid bike. Not the lightest by any means (I am even contemplating some fenders to calm the mud bathes!) but neither am I. And I love the way it rolls.

It makes my old 26" Jamis feel so puny and slow...

:rolleyes:

Anyway, I just wish that other LBS had not let me borrow their loaner EWR. Darn things are like crack or Doritos.

:madman:

Thanks,
    D
  • 08-19-2009
    Mikecito
    Here's my two cents for you.
    The one sure way to get buyers regret and upgradeitis about anything, is to hang out on a forum and read too many gear posts. For your size and the type of riding you do, it sounds like you have a great bike that fits you well.
    That being said,
    An upgrade to bb7's would be relatively cheap (I hate mine too and am changing them soon) and you could go with a ridged fork up front for not too much either if you want that "old school" type of ride.
    You would think that Satan forged the Dart 3's in the pits of hell from all the bad press they get :D I like mine just fine (RH Comp Disk 29) for my XC riding and I don't personally see the benefit of spending a lot of money for something that won't make much (if any) difference for my riding style.
    Of course the great thing about bikes is that they are much cheaper to buy/sell and upgrade than cars, so if you have the money to spend, go and get your dream bike.
    Life's too short to be unhappy with your ride, and you will be helping the economy:thumbsup:
  • 10-01-2009
    mhr
    I have a RH Comp Disc 29 also. I don't see any limitations with the bike for it's intended purpose of recreational XC. If you start getting creative with your riding, the bike might appear to have limitations, but it's not the bikes problem for not performing outside it's purpose. I think the frame is an outstanding base for improved components also. Slap on better brakes and a better shock and off you go. From what I've been reading, don't be surprised if the stock wheels buckle during the harder riding, but you can just replace those as well. I plan to keep my RH29er for a long time and just replace stuff as they wear out, which I don't anticipate happening for quite a few years.
  • 10-01-2009
    EHCRain
    Ive got a on 09 RH and have upgraded every single component to XT or better and love the ride that I have created, yes it was expensive but ive been able to choice the components that I wanted not what the bike company wanted to spec on the original bike. Plus this has allowed me to buy a 2nd frame and build a bike for the GF