'04 WB BW .8 set-up- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

'04 WB BW .8 set-up

Well, I got the .8 mounted on the KM. Very nice looking fork. However, I did have a problem in that the disc brake tab appears to be slightly cocked, as well as, pushes the outside pad against the rotor. Therefore, I can't shim it "out" because it is as far out now as possible. The LBS is getting an alignment tool similar to the gnan-o-mat to fix that issue. Anyone have any comments or reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea?

Second, the directions on set-up indicate the stock air pressure setting is at 80 lbs and that the fork should sag 15-25% of the total travel. Perhaps, it's my past experience with forks with high degrees of stiction, but I have never been able to do a great job setting up a fork by sag. I understand the zip tie method. Is this what you guys did? Did you ride on smooth ground or merely weight the handlebars in a "trackstand"? BTW, I weigh about 210 with gear.

Any other words of wisdom or tuing tips? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    THe BW .8 is a very nice fork indeed. On some of the forks I have installed, I have had to really face away a lot of the disc tab (using Hope's facing tool, very similar to the Magura tool). I was experiencing the same problem you mentioned w/ the outside pad scraping the rotor. It is a pain to face that much material, but once it's done it is no longer an issue.

I weight 170 and run 95 psi. So I would think you would want a bit more. Maybe start at 105-110 psi and experiment from there? I did use the sag method for initial setup, but found just riding it allowed me to dial in the air pressure better. If my zip tie ended up at the top of the stanchion on fairly easy hits, I increased air pressure a bit. So now I get full travel, but only on bigger hits.

The fork is like butter, best fork I have ever used and I have used Fox and Manitou. Fox used to be my favorite and I always wished they made a 29" fork when I first started working w/ 29"ers, but after riding the White Brothers I think they have a slight edge on the Fox in smoothness and stiffness. I also like how you can dial in the compression damping all the way to lockout using the same adjuster. And the guys at WB are a great bunch of people, and they are a fellow Colorado company to boot! If you ever have a problem they will take care of you.

Brad

[email protected]
    www.wilycycles.com

mtbr member

Thanks!

That was just the info I was looking for.

Glad to know the disc brake tab issue is not mine alone.

I will try your suggestions!

Oh, Wily, any idea how much a ~20" Singletrack Retro frame of your's weighs? 8^)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    !

Oh, Wily, any idea how much a ~20" Singletrack Retro frame of your's weighs? 8^)[/QUOTE]

A larger size Retro frame like a 20" would be around 4.4 lbs, with EBB around 4.7. We build them as light as we can, but the curved top tube has to be straight gauge to bend without buckling, so that adds some weight of course, but the rest of the frame is lightweight OX Platinum.

Brad

[email protected]
    www.wilycycles.com