$2500 Budget Suggestions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

$2500 Budget Suggestions...

My friend and his wife are in the market for new full suspension bikes. They are currently on old, 26" Santa Cruz Superlights that are wore out and they don't want to put more money into them.

So, they are in their mid 50's and don't want/need anything aggressive as they don't like steep and technical and ride more of the easy to moderate trails here in WNC (i.e Dupont, Bent Creek, occasional Pisgah stuff).

Something with 100-120mm rear travel is plenty for them (XC/trail). Something like the Marin Rift Zone 2 would be a pretty good fit for them I think for a good value under $2500.

What would you recommend to your friend with a $2500 bike budget (dropper post and 11 speed a plus)?

Since they each are getting a new bike the total is $5000 so please no "save a little more and get this" recommendations please.

I know $2500 isn't much but they are pretty adamant on this price point

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    2100 buys a fezarri Abajo peak 12 speed eagle nx, and a manic dropper post. 130/140 mm travel. Love mine.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    You mean this Marin Rift Zone 2 for $1259 minus the code CLEAR2019 for a few extra bux off? S/M sizes only left at this point.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod186792
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    That Marin is a smoking deal.

WillWorkForTrail
    I'd say there's a lot of stuff worth considering in this price range. But they sound like they hold onto bikes for a while, so I'd keep that in mind when looking at stuff. Lifetime warranty might carry some weight with them. Have they looked at the Giant Stance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    Something with 100-120mm rear travel is plenty for them (XC/trail). Something like the Marin Rift Zone 2 would be a pretty good fit for them I think for a good value under $2500.
    VitalMTB's review last week confirms this. They loved it, even preferring riding it over some $5k bikes (for suitable non-extreme trails of course!)

NSMB's Andrew Major also rides a budget Marin.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The best company for those on a budget is Giant.

I think they are the only company that is really focused on the $2000-$3000 bike market. Everyone else tries to make their high-end bikes cheaper, which is hard to do. Giant on the other hand puts together a bike that is actually designed from the ground up to be that price.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Norco Fluid? They even have his/hers models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    x2 for Giant. Esp if you want LBS support.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    The best company for those on a budget is Giant.

I think they are the only company that is really focused on the $2000-$3000 bike market. Everyone else tries to make their high-end bikes cheaper, which is hard to do. Giant on the other hand puts together a bike that is actually designed from the ground up to be that price.
    agreed. you should be able to get a trance 2, 29r for dang near $2500. They are 2900 but most giant dealers can give you a bit or room, especially if you are buying two bikes. The Liv Intrigue is the sweet spot for women's bikes. Giant bikes also work just fine for women, but the liv products are well thought out and imo, have better color ways then giant regardless of gender.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    x2 for Giant. Esp if you want LBS support.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Those Marin Rift Zones are a great deal for sure but I think they like the idea of working with a local shop so I turned them on to a Giant dealer here in town to check out the Trance, Stance, and some Liv models for her.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    get used, left over $ for vacation riding

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Look at the Giant Fathom 29er isn't FS but wow! I purchased as my first bike and it is an amazing bike! Great for some fun DH and exceptional XC bike. I'd say it is ideal for an older crowd.

mtbr member
    With Shimano SLX hitting the OEM market soon there are going to be some great value bikes.

Here's an example: https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles.../cat/occam-h30

It's much more travel that you were looking for, but I'm willing to bet that they will have their shorter travel bike in a similar price point offering!