YT Jeffsy vs Capra?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

YT Jeffsy vs Capra?

Was looking for some advice on my first FS bike, I've been riding an old hard tail for the past few summers but recently moved to UT and need to upgrade. I'm interested in the base jeffsy and capra as they're right around my budget, and I haven't seen anything similar spec used in weeks. I'm not sure which bike would be better suited for me, my favorite riding is flowy bike park (no lifts) tracks with jumps, drops, etc. But that's probably about half my time on the bike with the other half exploring the awesome trails around here. I'm definitely okay with giving up a little bit a climbing efficiency for downhill/ jumping, but perhaps the capra would be overkill.

Appreciate any thoughts!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    This is a tough call. I assume you read the review comparison between the two?
    https://enduro-mtb.com/en/battle-rev...f-pro-race-29/
    Jeffsy was the winner, but I chose Capra. It was just calling my name. I wanted an Enduro. Modern and almost downhill. I don't even have great trails locally to justify it, but I will travel. You'll love either.
    Which one are you drawn to the most?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I'd say I'm more drawn to the Capra, I'd rather give up some on the climbs than on the dh and jumps, but i suppose my biggest worry is the claim of every average trail feeling boring on the capra.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Have you watched VanCan on the Capra? My favorite mtb channel. The scenery helps, but I like the way he analyses bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I haven't I'll definitely check it out!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The capra is very progressive. Most progressive in its class. 75% progressivity if I remember correctly. That means it will take 75% larger impacts to use full travel compared to a linear frame. That's not a bad thing, but leverage ratios like that aren't designed for your average trail, or average riding. Sick bike, it's just very aggressive so you may or may not find it's the best option. I would put a coil on it to make it more trail friendly. I know that sounds funny as most people coil their trail bikes to make them more DH biased. For the capra a coil will help it come to life when it's not being hucked to flat. One thing I like about really progressive frames is you won't tap much travel on tamer trails. That can make an aggressive bike feel better sometimes, but usually that leaves me feeling like I'm driving a Raptor on a smooth dirt road when a wrx would be way more fun. Doing the one bike for all is always a compromise. That's why I have a 125 travel and a rocky slayer which just happens to be the second most progressive in its class at 54% progressivity. For context I have to drop that bike out of the air from 6' or more to shi! lander to get full travel. At 75% progressivity, let's just say YT didn't design the capra for new school flow trails lol.

mtbr member
    If you look at the anti-squat the Jeffsy pedals MUCH better. For an all around trail bike, I would go Jeffsy for sure. Shorter travel will be more fun on flowy bike park trails and since there is no lift, the Jeffsy will get you back to the top better. My two cents....

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Jeffsy does sound like a great all-rounder, but I wonder if I'd want the extra travel of the capra as I get into larger features / more tech stuff or if the Jeffsy would hold up fine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brentwhipple View Post
    Jeffsy does sound like a great all-rounder, but I wonder if I'd want the extra travel of the capra as I get into larger features / more tech stuff or if the Jeffsy would hold up fine
    90% indian and 10% arrow. LOL

A modern 150mm trail bike will handle quite a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    The capra is very progressive. Most progressive in its class. 75% progressivity if I remember correctly. That means it will take 75% larger impacts to use full travel compared to a linear frame. That's not a bad thing, but leverage ratios like that aren't designed for your average trail, or average riding. Sick bike, it's just very aggressive so you may or may not find it's the best option. I would put a coil on it to make it more trail friendly. I know that sounds funny as most people coil their trail bikes to make them more DH biased. For the capra a coil will help it come to life when it's not being hucked to flat. One thing I like about really progressive frames is you won't tap much travel on tamer trails. That can make an aggressive bike feel better sometimes, but usually that leaves me feeling like I'm driving a Raptor on a smooth dirt road when a wrx would be way more fun. Doing the one bike for all is always a compromise. That's why I have a 125 travel and a rocky slayer which just happens to be the second most progressive in its class at 54% progressivity. For context I have to drop that bike out of the air from 6' or more to shi! lander to get full travel. At 75% progressivity, let's just say YT didn't design the capra for new school flow trails lol.
    Is there a website or chart that lists the progressive percentages of bikes? I would love to see how you can shop for bikes in that way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brentwhipple View Post
    I think I would get a Jeffsy if I could do it again. I jumped on the Capra because I REALLY wanted it, and I knew I didn't have time to really think/research it before it was sold out. I personally wouldn't wait several months for a YT, because things could easily go downhill in the world...and you possibly never see your bike. Here are some comments from pinkbike forum on the Capra thread:

Quote Originally Posted by austin915
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSD
    I'm considering a Capra Comp 2020. Some of you have said its really tough on the ups, and really only a gnar / park bike. Anybody using this as a 1 quiver bike for "regular" trails as well? 170 up front is for sure overkill but I never ride for more than a couple hours at a time thinking maybe I could tough out the ups and increase fitness
    Its not nearly as much fun as a daily rider by any means. I have a 2020 capra pro race and a 2019 pro jeffsy that is 150/150 with a pike and a cane creek coil and it is a far better regular trail bike than my capra is. I only ride the capra if my wife goes with me because she rides the jeffsy or if i go to a bike park or enduro race (which is why i bought the capra). The jeffsy is a very capable bike and if you arent doing gnarly black/double black trails fairly regularly the capra is a little much. Can it be ridden far and do a lot of climbing? absolutely. Is it going to be as enjoyable as it would be if you were on a jeffsy? i dont think so. Best way i could put it is if i had no choice but to sell one i would sell the capra because the majority of my riding is fairly tame and im sure the jeffsy is still more capable on the downs than i am, the capra just makes it a little smoother and easier.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...5&pagenum=1732

Edit: with that being said, I'm going to put a coil on it. A read through that thread (starting february 2020) shows that it comes alive with a coil, and improves climbing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post
    Is there a website or chart that lists the progressive percentages of bikes? I would love to see how you can shop for bikes in that way.
    I remember seeing a list, but I can't remember where. It was for frames from a few years ago. I should have mentioned what I listed for the capra is not the most recent. I'm not sure if YT has changed anything? Going on memory it was capra, slayer, nomad3. I want to say the black market roam was even more progressive than the capra but it's kind of an odd duck in that it's part enduro, part SS.