mtbr member
    May 2008

Yeti SB-66 fit 650B?

Has anyone had a chance to see if 650B would work on the Yeti SB-66?

mtbr member
    just curious, why? the bikes is designed for 26" wheels. bb height is set for 26" wheels. buy a 29er fs bike. there seems to be a reason 650b isn't making any inroads. it's not popular. why beat a dead horse?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    just curious, why? the bikes is designed for 26" wheels. bb height is set for 26" wheels. buy a 29er fs bike. there seems to be a reason 650b isn't making any inroads. it's not popular. why beat a dead horse?
    1. I ride a 26" bike with 650B front and rear. I like it better. Mojo SL
    2. I like my bb height higher for my trail conditions.
    3. I don't care for 29er's.
    4. I believe 650B actually has a subtantial following.
    5. I like dead horses!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I have two 29ers....oh wait...selling one....one 29er. I don't want more. I have one factory 650B and one conversion, I check every frame I get for tire clearance.... to do more conversions.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My guess is that the OP has an interest that it may work well as other riders have found with their Mojos, Santa Cruz, etc.

Rigid thinking should be about hardtails and rigid forks. Loosen up your rules, Mr. Popularity no longer has to be your goal, and enjoy your ride.

mtbr member
    if a large volume 26" tire is almost the same as a smaller volume 650b, how much of a difference is there?

i'm truly curious. what advantage is there then. if say the sb66 will take a 26" 2.4 big betty and just clear, what would the advantage be of running a smaller volume 650b that just clears

mtbr member
    May 2008
    if a large volume 26" tire is almost the same as a smaller volume 650b, how much of a difference is there?

i'm truly curious. what advantage is there then. if say the sb66 will take a 26" 2.4 big betty and just clear, what would the advantage be of running a smaller volume 650b that just clears
    Here is my post from last year explaining how I liked 650B. If you do just a larger 26" tire you will get tire flex/rollunder on hard cornering, unless you run very high air pressure. 650B may not be for you, it just worked for me. After switching back an forth from my 26" wheels, I finally sold them because they were just sitting.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...83408#poststop

simple
    Seriously? The SB-66 isn't available yet.

Your ONLY source right now is the folks over at Yeti. Their engineers like to mess around so maybe they tried a 650B wheel in the frame to see if it works. I highly doubt it, but I would advise to ask in the Yeti forum to find out. Or to save yourself the public ridicule, you can PM one of the Yeti folks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Cornering grip and stability.I only care about extra rollover of 29er wheel on my hard tail. The 650B 2.3 neo-moto gives me more cornering grip in the loose than 2.4 No Ni and BB. There is not much difference in dia with those tires but it definately makes a difference.And yes I also own two 29ers which I'm thinking of selling. 650B is more versatile to me. Just need more good tires in 650B and it's a winner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

A Big Betty is a slow, heavy, freeride tire. 650b tires of equivalent diameter will have a better tread pattern for most people and weigh much less. I personally run a Racing Ralph 650b, there is nothing in a 26" tire that will even come close to its combination of low weight, rollover and speed.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    dont get how people that "don't get the 650b thing" are even in the 650b specific forum. I don't go to the 29er forum an piss on all there bikes or interests or "movements". Seriously, your opinion doesn't matter here, as the people in the 650b forum have tried it first hand, or they are interested in better rollover without having wagon wheels that corner tight switchbacks like crap. it'd be like you going to the yeti specific forum an posting "yetis are useless I don't get how they are any better than any other bike".
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

bikeboatbrewski
    What are the measurements on the the stays?

http://www.yeticycles.com/#/bikes/SB66/1/

Answer appears to be maybe.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    To get the same diameter as the smallest 650B (the Quasi-Moto 2.0) requires a 26 x 2.6 tire, which isn't available in anything other than a DH tire. Which incidently weighs at the minimum a kg... the Quasi-Moto.. about 520g. So the difference is more than a pound in weight.

If a 26 x 2.4 is the maximum that clears... then its not going to fit a 27.5 x 2.0. The limitation in fitting 650Bs to most bikes is the diameter of the tire, not the width.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The SB-66 is in the demo fleet.

http://yeticycles.com/#/demo/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    dont get how people that "don't get the 650b thing" are even in the 650b specific forum. I don't go to the 29er forum an piss on all there bikes or interests or "movements". Seriously, your opinion doesn't matter here, as the people in the 650b forum have tried it first hand, or they are interested in better rollover without having wagon wheels that corner tight switchbacks like crap. it'd be like you going to the yeti specific forum an posting "yetis are useless I don't get how they are any better than any other bike".
    because its a "public" forum. i asked why he wanted to try it on a bike designed for 26" tires. i can see buying a bike designed for 650b tires but wonder why do it to a 26" design. curious as to the benefits of 650b.

and not all 29ers "corner like crap". it's okay to slag other size wheels here then is it? i didn't start a thread either. if i started a thread and said all 650bs are crap you could make that argument. don't get so butt hurt

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    because its a "public" forum. i asked why he wanted to try it on a bike designed for 26" tires. i can see buying a bike designed for 650b tires but wonder why do it to a 26" design. curious as to the benefits of 650b.

and not all 29ers "corner like crap". it's okay to slag other size wheels here then is it? i didn't start a thread either. if i started a thread and said all 650bs are crap you could make that argument. don't get so butt hurt
    And OP was not about wheel size. If you start your own thread and enquire about benefits then you might get a better response. Better still stump up some cash and try it like we have. The only thing that peeves me off about 650b is I have a truck load of 26" tires[ including Big Betty'] and wheel sets I will never use again and two 29ers that will now only ever get used on race days.

mtbr member
    IIRC, on one of the initial reviews said the tire clearance was tight with a 2.35" tire. Not impossible, but I'd say that's information pointing to 650b being unlikely to fit.

mtbr member
    Anybody know if the SB66 will fit a 650b rear wheel? From the looks of this picture, it looks like there is a lot of room.

Sail On!
    This pic makes it looks like this could be a rad conversion. My rule of finger is if I can fit my index finger between the chainstay yoke and tire it will probably work. 7lb frame is about the same as a heckler with the same 6" of travel. The eccentric linkage looks really intriuging sounds like it could work. I wonder about braking does it lessen single pivot brake jack? Anybody demoed one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB-66 fit 650B?-p7281731.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lml427 View Post
    1. I ride a 26" bike with 650B front and rear. I like it better. Mojo SL
    2. I like my bb height higher for my trail conditions.
    3. I don't care for 29er's.
    4. I believe 650B actually has a subtantial following.
    5. I like dead horses!
    agree 110%, except for #5. my experience exactly on a Ells moment. the neo replaced a (front) big Betty, the neo/wheel is grossly taller, the difference is clear. but more importantly, the performance and experience is significantly enhanced, for me at least. it simply rails now, truly the best I can get out of this bike.

I'm convinced the "following" is not static or minimal/niche. the main stream litmus test will reveal itself in the near future; INTERBIKE, which I will be attending, as well as the demo at bootleg.
    Kirk, if u want VIP passes to the cyclecross race during interbike, PM me, I feel I owe you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Reviving...

Has anyone ever figured this out for sure? ie, put a wheel on one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I don't think you can put a 650b tire and rim on a SB66. If a frame can hold a 26x2.5 tire, it could work. If the bike has a Fox fork, the 650b wheel will not have a problem clearing the fork arch. Is anyone interested in the SB95? It's coming out in February!

mtbr member
    I'm also curious about the ASR5 Carbon, or alloy. It looks like the ideal geometry for a conversion, if the tire clearance is there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    I'm also curious about the ASR5 Carbon, or alloy. It looks like the ideal geometry for a conversion, if the tire clearance is there.
    the ASR5 will not fit a 650b. it's not even close.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    I have, from a source at Yeti, that 2.0 in 650b is about the only thing that will fit well. My calcs show that same thing (using ETRTO diameters).

559 mm + (2*2.4")*25.4 = 680.9 mm

584 mm + (2*2.0")*25.4 = 685.6 mm

I did request some 650b chips, though. We'll see...
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Apparently, Pacenti Quasi-moto 2.0 fits in the 66, also from the Yeti source that is currently using it.

It should be noted that this is unofficial, and by no means a "certification" of 650b use (my disclaimer for a friend at Yeti offering info).
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Can we reopen this topic with some recent experience? Seems like this frame has been out long enough to have some more concrete info. Anyone do the conversion?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Baaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Any more info on this? How about the SB66c?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

You're right. A very large 26" tire will come close to a low-volume 27.5 tire in the overall effective diameter. However, running a 900 gram 2.4" tire on a 26 will feel worlds slower than a lighter proper 650B trail tire.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Any current info on the 66C?

Zaf
    mtbr member
    That's a Minion DHR 2.3 on the rear and a Shorty on the front. I did try and throw a mates Enve front with Magic Mary's on the front, but my 26" bridge doesn't accept that. Still main thing I believe is clearance in the rear, which is has. I was just messing about with it, I didn't see if the wheel makes contact with the seat tube on compression or anything, just through the wheels on and gave them a spin to see if they would.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Just put a Stans arch Ex 27.5 on the front with a specialized purgatory 2.3 tubeless on the stock 150 32mm fork and it fits nicely. Previous setup was a crossride with DHF 3C Exo 2.3 tubed. I'm 135lbs and lanky.

Pros:
    Slacker HA, downhills are moar gooder. +10pts Rock Smashing Abilities
    Loads More stable at speed.
    I can put more weight on the front end without feeling like I'm going OTB, helping with sandy sections.
    Slower steering - I like this on downs. It got bounced around lots less.
    Roll-over is noticeably improved.
    Holds speed better. I lose less speed to 27.5 riders cruising down the same path. I still have to put in some extra pedal strokes, but not nearly as much.

Cons:
    Climbing is a bit tougher - front wants to raise a lot and slower steering means I have to be more precise. Not a deal breaker for me, but I did adjust my seat forward to help with seat tube angle change. It feels like a much bigger bike now.
    Mud clearance sucks, again, not a deal breaker b/c I try not to destroy our trails here in CO when they're muddy.
    I lost my front fender. Not a deal breaker.

Overall I'm really happy with it. I tend to enjoy downhills a lot more and it was exactly what I needed. I wanted to raise the cockpit a bit to get rid of lower back soreness and this did the trick. I tested this out on Walker Ranch in Boulder going clockwise and it felt really great on the burlier sections of that trail. Very helpful with confidence. Will have no problem going to the bike parks on this. Switchbacks down were the same, if not smoother.

Bar height is now right in line with the 5010 sitting next to it for reference.

Just for grins I tried setting the same wheel in the rear and it didn't fit remotely. Also, not a huge fan of the purgatory on loose stuff but it came new with the wheel so I'll wear it out and then go back to a DHF or DHR. If I can find a loaner rear wheel I'll try an ardent in the back and see if that fits. I'd love to go full swap on this so the back end doesn't get caught up as much on square edges.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi there - any update to doing 27.5 all around? Curious if any would fit?

Quote Originally Posted by CaroCO View Post
    Just put a Stans arch Ex 27.5 on the front with a specialized purgatory 2.3 tubeless on the stock 150 32mm fork and it fits nicely. Previous setup was a crossride with DHF 3C Exo 2.3 tubed. I'm 135lbs and lanky.

Pros:
    Slacker HA, downhills are moar gooder. +10pts Rock Smashing Abilities
    Loads More stable at speed.
    I can put more weight on the front end without feeling like I'm going OTB, helping with sandy sections.
    Slower steering - I like this on downs. It got bounced around lots less.
    Roll-over is noticeably improved.
    Holds speed better. I lose less speed to 27.5 riders cruising down the same path. I still have to put in some extra pedal strokes, but not nearly as much.

Cons:
    Climbing is a bit tougher - front wants to raise a lot and slower steering means I have to be more precise. Not a deal breaker for me, but I did adjust my seat forward to help with seat tube angle change. It feels like a much bigger bike now.
    Mud clearance sucks, again, not a deal breaker b/c I try not to destroy our trails here in CO when they're muddy.
    I lost my front fender. Not a deal breaker.

Overall I'm really happy with it. I tend to enjoy downhills a lot more and it was exactly what I needed. I wanted to raise the cockpit a bit to get rid of lower back soreness and this did the trick. I tested this out on Walker Ranch in Boulder going clockwise and it felt really great on the burlier sections of that trail. Very helpful with confidence. Will have no problem going to the bike parks on this. Switchbacks down were the same, if not smoother.

Bar height is now right in line with the 5010 sitting next to it for reference.

Just for grins I tried setting the same wheel in the rear and it didn't fit remotely. Also, not a huge fan of the purgatory on loose stuff but it came new with the wheel so I'll wear it out and then go back to a DHF or DHR. If I can find a loaner rear wheel I'll try an ardent in the back and see if that fits. I'd love to go full swap on this so the back end doesn't get caught up as much on square edges.