Yeti 2016 SB6c - opinions?- Mtbr.com
    Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009

Yeti 2016 SB6c - opinions?

I have an interesting offer to swap my frame/crank for the above frameset with a carbon e13 crank. My frame is a Transition Throttle hardtail and I'm finding the hardtail a bit rough on my body..Seems like a solid trade, but I don't see a ton on this frame/bike anywhere. The full suspension I'm most used to is the Scout, which I love! Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Look up reviews. I remember pb, vital, and bike mag, all cracked chainstays during testing. Yeti used the preproduction excuse. They claimed they added 40 grams of carbon to the chainstay to address the issue. I was looking at a frame for 1.2k but passed after doing research. There's lots of killer deals on used 650b's these days. 1.2k stopped looking like a good deal. If you can get it cheap enough, and you're willing to gamble on the CS, it might be great for you?

mtbr member
    it's a great bike, the CS issue is long gone based on what you see here at mtbr. It really depends on the price, it's a used bike that's not even produced anymore so you might be dead in the water if anything happens to your frame you might not even be able to find a replacement part. also coming from a hardtail this is a big jump, sb6 is more than a trail bike, I'd honestly go after something with less travel

EDR
    HT to SB6 is a big leap. Better have the ability and terrain to be able to send-it to get the most of that bike, otherwise it'll be dragging you down just tooling around the trails.

Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the replies! My other bike is Scout, which is pretty similar geo and travel. I'd think they'd ride similarly, no? So I do lots of AM stuff..

I'm just having a hell of a time selling the HT, so I've considered a frame trade and this popped up. But I don't know enough about Yeti so feel confident, and even less confident about carbon!

Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    it's a great bike, the CS issue is long gone based on what you see here at mtbr. It really depends on the price, it's a used bike that's not even produced anymore so you might be dead in the water if anything happens to your frame you might not even be able to find a replacement part. also coming from a hardtail this is a big jump, sb6 is more than a trail bike, I'd honestly go after something with less travel
    Thanks. CS issue is long gone based on newer models or you mean the 2016 I'm referring to? When I poked around I get a mix of people wailing about the cracks and others saying it was just pre-production..Hard to discern if it's the "bad review" effect where the disappointed people are the loudest and influence perception the most.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashwins View Post
    Thanks. CS issue is long gone based on newer models or you mean the 2016 I'm referring to? When I poked around I get a mix of people wailing about the cracks and others saying it was just pre-production..Hard to discern if it's the "bad review" effect where the disappointed people are the loudest and influence perception the most.
    I'd say if this is a first year sb6c I'd be worried about getting it. Yeti has a history of fixing problems with newer version frames without even acknowledging there was ever a problem.

What year is the sb6c you would be trading for? A lot of people talk shit about yeti and they might have had legitimate issues, I've ridden an old sb66 for 5 years and beat the crap of of that frame, raced, crashed, and it came out better than me (broken wrist) so I have had a good experience with my yeti carbon frame!

Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    I'd say if this is a first year sb6c I'd be worried about getting it. Yeti has a history of fixing problems with newer version frames without even acknowledging there was ever a problem.

What year is the sb6c you would be trading for? A lot of people talk shit about yeti and they might have had legitimate issues, I've ridden an old sb66 for 5 years and beat the crap of of that frame, raced, crashed, and it came out better than me (broken wrist) so I have had a good experience with my yeti carbon frame!
    Interesting. Thank you. It's a 2016 with a 2018 Fox DPX2. He said he had the infinity switch serviced last year. Curiously, the dude is like a bike junkie and just used it as a urban commuter 🤦*♂️. So it looks pretty new. Is that the first or second year they made this frame? I think there are 2015s.

EDR
    I've never ridden the Scout but other than both being full suspension I don't think they compare very well at all. I seem to remember it often being compared more to the Patrol. Not just because of similar travel but simply the Enduro characteristics of the bike. But take it all with a grain of salt since I've never ridden the patrol or the scout. And only rode the sb-6 for a New York minute.

That being said if you ride a lot of AM stuff you might love that sb-6. The downside is you'll never know unless you make the trade. This will never be answered fully on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'd say go for it if the frame is in good shape and if indeed the switch infinity has been serviced and well taken care of. The CS thing is a concern even with some of the newest Yeti frames, so honestly I think it will be a while before yeti gets away from that. I've got a sb5.5 and love it with no problems for what that's worth. I demoed a SB6C and it feel very stiff to me compared to my 5.5 but that might have been due to too much air in the shock and fork. It won't feel as light on its feet as a hardtail but it was very efficient pedaler and felt like it could tackle a lot of tech terrain.

Dream it, Do it.
    The SB6 is really stable going downhill, but seemed a bit sluggish for everyday trail riding. I see that you're from VT by your profile. I might suggest a quicker handling bike. Even the Ibis HD4 that I am currently riding seems to to be more nimble than the SB6 for the tighter trails that you typically find around New England.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    My previous bike was a SB66c, first gen Switch and it was a great bike. I'm also a more AM style, not big jumper. Also a lightweight rider so it wasn't quite so supple in the lighter stuff. You had to push it to get it to really feel good, the faster you went the better it felt. That improved as the generations progressed, I now have a SB140 which is better in almost all aspects, I love it. Out of the box it all around worked better, I didn't have to tweak the suspension like the SB66. I understand the SB6 with the newer Switch Infinity got better than the 66, but my friend whos on a SB6 said you still have the same deal where you need to push it. Works fine as a trail bike, but it really starts shinning when you get rowdy.

mtbr member
    2016 was the first year for the SB6c, I think, but I don't see that as a problem. Can't sell the hardtail? A straight across trade will give you a good bike and at least it would be easier to sell.
    I say do it.

Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    2016 was the first year for the SB6c, I think, but I don't see that as a problem. Can't sell the hardtail? A straight across trade will give you a good bike and at least it would be easier to sell.
    I say do it.
    Yeah, I'm basically swap my frame and a cheaper crank for this pretty mint SB6c and an e13 carbon crank. Seems like a good swap! But I'd really just be looking to sell it at this point since it seems this bike is too much for the New Englang-type riding I do, which is more flowy...It was helpful that a few people said the Scout and this bike don't compare bc, for me, the Scout is plenty. My only concern would be if this Yeti frame had like a pox on it because of the crack reputation and no one wanted to buy it! Then I'd be really screwed.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm basically swap my frame and a cheaper crank for this pretty mint SB6c and an e13 carbon crank. Seems like a good swap! But I'd really just be looking to sell it at this point since it seems this bike is too much for the New Englang-type riding I do, which is more flowy...It was helpful that a few people said the Scout and this bike don't compare bc, for me, the Scout is plenty. My only concern would be if this Yeti frame had like a pox on it because of the crack reputation and no one wanted to buy it! Then I'd be really screwed.
    I'm now on a 29er, but before that, I had (have ) an SB5c and my wife has an SB5 turq. I'd never heard of the crack reputation, so I doubt it's a pox.
    You know, you might decide to keep the Yeti and sell the scout. Who knows?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There's no pox on the sb6, but there was a chain stay QC issue with the first run. 2016 was the first run. Yeti admitted to it saying the vender failed to build the frames to their specifications. That's not the venders fault as far as I'm concerned. Every company that outsources has to be vigilant with QC. Yeti is a small company, they may or may not have their own QC guys living overseas like bigger companies do. I would assume they do, but companies aren't very transparent with that stuff.

Whether the frame you're looking at has the beefed up chain stay the 17's and up have will be a wild card. Anyone that wants to believe the frames that cracked truly were preproduction and were never in circulation then there's little to worry about. I personally think that's BS. When those frames were being tested you could buy the sb6 so that means yeti had received a shipment of finial production frames. I'm sure they scrambled to order up CS's as soon as they realized the issue, but that takes time. You can repair carbon so you wouldn't be totally screwed if you did crack the CS. It all comes down to how good the deal is and what you're willing to potentially deal with. I just did PB search. There's a guy looking to buy a 16 CS right now. Coincidence?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2599427/

Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    There's no pox on the sb6, but there was a chain stay QC issue with the first run. 2016 was the first run. Yeti admitted to it saying the vender failed to build the frames to their specifications. That's not the venders fault as far as I'm concerned. Every company that outsources has to be vigilant with QC. Yeti is a small company, they may or may not have their own QC guys living overseas like bigger companies do. I would assume they do, but companies aren't very transparent with that stuff.

Whether the frame you're looking at has the beefed up chain stay the 17's and up have will be a wild card. Anyone that wants to believe the frames that cracked truly were preproduction and were never in circulation then there's little to worry about. I personally think that's BS. When those frames were being tested you could buy the sb6 so that means yeti had received a shipment of finial production frames. I'm sure they scrambled to order up CS's as soon as they realized the issue, but that takes time. You can repair carbon so you wouldn't be totally screwed if you did crack the CS. It all comes down to how good the deal is and what you're willing to potentially deal with. I just did PB search. There's a guy looking to buy a 16 CS right now. Coincidence?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2599427/
    Thanks for the comments and help. It looks like the SB6c's first run was 2015, no? Not sure what that means for me and this deal, but I think that's right? See here

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/yeti-s...view-2015.html

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the comments and help. It looks like the SB6c's first run was 2015, no? Not sure what that means for me and this deal, but I think that's right? See here

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/yeti-s...view-2015.html
    Yeah, maybe the 16's are good to go? I thought 16 was the first year. I would only worry about the first run of those frames.