WTB: An Affordable 650B Wheelset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

WTB: An Affordable 650B Wheelset

I know this isn't a classifieds forum, but as the title states - does such a thing exist?

I see some of you guys getting amped up over new stan's rims, etc, but is there a cheaper (and still decent) alternative? $500 for a pair might be nothing compared to what some of you have invested in your bikes, but that's a lot for me.

I just grabbed a Soul Cycles Icon frame on the cheap; will build it with 26" wheels first, but I do want to fit 650Bs eventually. However if there aren't any cheaper wheel options... could be a problem.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I bought a Raleigh at a yard sale a while back that originally had come with 650b wheels. The owner had tried and failed, locally, to get tires when the originals rotted off, and replaced everything with 27"'er wheels and tires from some other generic yard sale bicycle. I got the original 650b rims, but they were crappy chrome steel rims too. They were also rusty from laying on the ground behind HIS garage.

The bike itself was worth fixing up right again; LBS ordered Velocity aluminum wheels @ about $60 per and I laced them up to a NOS Shimano Exage front hub and a Sturmey 3-speed rear from the junk pile.

Then I traded the bike for a Schwinn sport tourer in like new condition, except for dust and grime from hanging in a garage for 20 years. That bike is set to donate its TA crank to my pending Klunker project, and will get whatever generic crankset I have laying around and go down the road.

www.derbyrims.com
    650b isn't mainstream yet. Not enough buyers yet for someone to invest $$$ in a large run of machine built lower end 650b wheels.

Keep searching ebay and MTBR classifieds. There are some good deals on 650b wheels occasionally.

Feral Roadie
    These guys usually have deals, you may have to wait until the off season though.

http://stores.ebay.com/wheelandsproc...=p4634.c0.m322

Feral Roadie
    If you have the hub already, a new rim and spokes is not $500 and despite much bike shop folklore, building your own wheels isn't all that hard. It just takes some time.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!

Another option to consider....

Check out the custom wheel builder on http://www.universalcycles.com/wheelkit.php . My guess is that you could probably spec out a halfway decent set of 650B wheels for around $300 (or less) depending on your hub/rim/spoke choices.

I personally haven't bought wheels from Universal Cycles but I have purchased other parts and they seem pretty okay to deal with.

Like bbense said you may be better off to wait until the offseason. For example.... The same P35/XT Hub wheelset that is being sold on E-Bay now for $399.99 I got for $219 shipped back in January. That is one hell of a markup.

Good luck!!

NedwannaB
    The most inexpenive xc rim. Not sure what kind of riding but can get a pr for $70. As someone mentioned, spoke and hub choice sets your budget.

I built 2-650 wheelsets for 2 different bike types. 1 w/WTB laser disc trail hoops on xt hubs I had, the other with Alex XD Lites lites.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=139
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    FS: Ripley V4 medium frame

bikeboatbrewski
    Quote Originally Posted by bbense View Post
    These guys usually have deals, you may have to wait until the off season though.

http://stores.ebay.com/wheelandsproc...=p4634.c0.m322

I got a set of P35's in red from them little over a week ago for $319. I was very happy with that deal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Outside outfitters have sun ringle 650b rims ridiculously cheap. XT M775 rear hub is very cheap and light [340g]hope pro 2 front is also very light[180g] and cheap ordered from UK.

bikeboatbrewski
    old saying applies here

Ya gets what ya pay for.

nothing relevant to say
    PM sent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottybinwv View Post
    old saying applies here

Ya gets what ya pay for.
    Xy M775 and hope pro 2 hubs are much better quality than you got on your wheelset and sun ringle rims are welded and eyeleted. Apparently a little soft but so are velocity rims. I went for Blunts personally. Those Ebay P35 wheelsets have been round for almost a year now and they are boat anchors. You can get P35's down to $70 each now so there's probably only about $200 to $250 of parts in those wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Wow, thanks for the info everyone. great links.

Looks like I can make something work, eventually. Not looking to get something right away; need to get my Icon frame rolling on 26s before I can spend money on 650Bs. Thanks though.

I didn't even know that mtbr had classifieds yet, since they aren't part of the forum...

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    Wheel and sprockets has haro beasley take offs for a buck 65. Downside is that they are quick release and centerlock.
    Drink beer all day

bikeboatbrewski
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Those Ebay P35 wheelsets have been round for almost a year now and they are boat anchors.

When I pulled them out of the box the first thing I noticed was how light they are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I been building my Icon with 650b tires it is a killer frame. I have had a few test rides on the trails and I really like it. I will post a pic once I am finished with the rig. I built it tough and not heavy.
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    ^ awesome! Please do post some pics. By "not heavy", what are you measuring for weight?

I'll be moving from an old 34 lb Specialized FSR to my ICON frame by this fall, can't wait to drop at least a few pounds, if not more. Going 1x10 drivetrain also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Well my other bike is a heckler set up for bigger hit stuff and it is 30+ in weight. I think the icon SS tubless etc. Will come in at 25-27 pound range. I prefer durability to extra light parts and shorts instead of lycra. haha I might do some racing on it as well so I might do 1x9 or 1x10 at some point.
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottybinwv View Post
    When I pulled them out of the box the first thing I noticed was how light they are.
    You must have been running heavy wheels beforehand. 2400g a wheelset isn't light.

jrm
    mtbr member

Hope you like White