Would love feedback on the Raleigh Tokul 2 please...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Would love feedback on the Raleigh Tokul 2 please...

Hey everyone. Just started looking into mountain bikes again after years and years of not riding. I stopped in a local shop today and they suggested I try out the Raleigh Tokul 2. Seems like a solid bike, but my opinion doesn't mean much at this point. I'd love any opinions I could get! Thanks!

Raleigh Bicycles - Tokul 2

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anyone? Thinking about picking this up today, would really love a few opinions before I do. Here is the link to the store where I'd purchase it. $750 for this bike. Thanks in advance!

Raleigh Tokul 2 - Earl's Bike Shop Bellingham WA in the Fountain District.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How much can you get the Tokul 2 for? I would recommend stepping up to the tokul 3 if you can afford it as it looks to have slightly better components but most importently it has a better fork. Rockshox xc30 solo air, over some generic coil sr suntour fork. other wise they do seem like solid bikes.

gravity fighter
    Those look like they have good geo, but are you looking for an "Interurban trail" bike or a "Galbraith" bike? I can tell you that those low profile tires wont be very good for Galby roots and mud when it's wet and that fork is very low end.

Depending on your size and the riding you progress into, you might wish you saved a bit more or bought something with a better fork used.

Have you shopped around Jacks/Fanatik/Kulshun too? They might have some deals.

B'ham riding is top notch, so once you get into it, you're going to end up on $3000+ bikes like the rest of us around here, so I'm trying to save you some pain up front

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito View Post
    Those look like they have good geo, but are you looking for an "Interurban trail" bike or a "Galbraith" bike? I can tell you that those low profile tires wont be very good for Galby roots and mud when it's wet and that fork is very low end.

Depending on your size and the riding you progress into, you might wish you saved a bit more or bought something with a better fork used.

Have you shopped around Jacks/Fanatik/Kulshun too? They might have some deals.

B'ham riding is top notch, so once you get into it, you're going to end up on $3000+ bikes like the rest of us around here, so I'm trying to save you some pain up front
    Good to see someone from Bham in this thread . I'm 5'9, 160 lbs to answer your question. I'm going to head to a few bike shops today to look around, problem is, I'm not quite sure what to look out for. I'm definitely a novice, so knowing which fork is good vs which fork is bad is an issue. The guy at Earls said the Tokul 2's fork was easy capable of trail riding, but he could have been generous with that statement. I'm trying to stay at $800 or below in all honesty, so any suggestions would be much appreciated . Thanks!

gravity fighter
    Yeah, "Trail" riding here can be misleading compared to other places! At you weight, you can worry less about breaking stuff than some of us fatso's, but i'd still avoid Suntour forks. They might be better built now since the last one i sufferd through, but once you've ridden on a nicer fork (Rockshox, Fox, Velvet, etc...) you won't want to go back.

This Kona is something more PNW spec'd out of the box IMO. As usual, more than your budget, but it's an idea.

Kona Blast - Skagit Cycle - Anacortes & Burlington, WA

Have fun test riding a bunch of bikes and maybe do a rental/extended test ride of a few to see what's out there.
    Andy and Paul at Bikesport down the street from Earls are good folks too and worth checking out.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have a raleigh tokul 2 had it for about a month and a half now. I took it for a test ride and fell in love with the bike. I purchased the large frame (19") since im 5ft 11". i weigh 215lbs and the bike handles good. The suntour fork is fully adjustable with lock out, preload adjustments and reverb adjustments using a knob instead of an allen key which is very helpful when hitting the trails. Price came out to about $820 but raleigh had a thing with a 50 dollar rebate if you purchased a tokul by april 30th so it cost me really $770. I ride my bike through mtb trails and rides with no problems at all, i ride it through technical trails because i like challenges, and it performs great with no problems, but it depends on your skills. i chose this bike because im on a budget, and it is well spent. i would suggest you take it for a test ride before you order it. i tried looking for reviews and didnt see nothing about the tokuls. i hope this helps. Raleigh Tokul 2 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i agree with mikecito....slow down and consider saving more for tokul3. the tokul 2 will get you on galbraith but if you really dig biking then you will want to upgrade pretty soon. Even if the frame is solid you would have to upgrade all of the components eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm also considering this bike..or the 3. Bump for new reviews / experiences.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hi guys, I just got back from a ride on the Tokul 2, I think this one was a 2014. I was really impressed for the cost of this bike. My local shop is running a closeout on the 2014 at $680. I know the Tokul 3 is a better bike, but this post was about the Tokul 2 and the price, I would doubt any of the bigger brands could compare. I didn't expect much from the Suntour fork, but I was impressed, they have definitely stepped their game up. This XCR fork is in another category vs. their really low end basic spring fork. I did some checking before I test rode this, and the Cannondale, Trek, Giant, or Specialized for $680 didnt have comparable components. This has hydraulic brakes which none of those had. After a lot of reading about bikes these days, I put little in the name of the brand since most come from the same places in China. I also liked that this bike had more of a trailbike feel vs the upright geometry on the cannondale trail I rode. Hope this is helpful, the other reviews telling me to save more money don't really answer my or your questions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    i just got a tokul 4130, so a bit different but i love it. awesome coming from bmx into mtb

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thenewbigmack View Post
    Hey everyone. Just started looking into mountain bikes again after years and years of not riding. I stopped in a local shop today and they suggested I try out the Raleigh Tokul 2. Seems like a solid bike, but my opinion doesn't mean much at this point. I'd love any opinions I could get! Thanks!

Raleigh Bicycles - Tokul 2
    I bought the tokul 2 and I have had no problems or regrets... It fit my budget

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    the tokul frames and geo look good. however doesnt the t2 have the non-tapered steer tube? that might be an issue if you ever want to upgrade the fork, which is likely. there will be many more fork options for a tapered steer tube. I think the t3 has tapered. also check out the Diamondback hook-line-syncr bikes, they look like the same idea as the tokuls, burly-budget HT's, but all models have the tapered steer tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    got my 2015 tokul22 a few months ago an i love it. took a few years away from riding bikes, i know i tortured myself for it, and got into rafting, now im back on a bike and happy as a clam. i raced for years and rode a lot and i can say this is a very capable bike. your not gonna go broke buying it but it can still take some dam good abuse. i recommend this bike especially for beginners or people getting back into it because i think its a perfect platform to see where you wanna be in a few months/years. a few upgrades make the bike feel much more comfortable and unique, i think the fork is pretty dam good, again i used to race and am not friendly to my bike ha its made to take ABUSE. buy any bike and go ride!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hello guys. First post here. Looking at getting my first mtb and was searching around for reviews for a similar bike. I found this bike on sale at Sun and Ski Sports. Don't want to get a low end bike but don't have the budget for a high end one. Budget is $700, maybe $775 total.

Here's a link to the bike I saw on sale. Please advise.
    Raleigh Tokul 2.0 Mountain Bike '15 @ Sun and Ski Sports - Sun & Ski

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hello guys. First post here. Looking at getting my first mtb and was searching around for reviews for a similar bike. I found this bike on sale at Sun and Ski Sports. Don't want to get a low end bike but don't have the budget for a high end one. Budget is $700, maybe $775 total.

Here's a link to the bike I saw on sale. Please advise.
    Raleigh Tokul 2.0 Mountain Bike '15 @ Sun and Ski Sports - Sun & Ski