is it worth it to make a 27.5/26 mullet bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

is it worth it to make a 27.5/26 mullet bike?

so i put a 26 inch rear wheel from my old mtb on my 27.5 in xc hardtail, and i like how it feels. especially when jumping around or manual-ing.

would it be a bad idea to keep it that way? i like how slack it is, and the reduced reach makes it a very comfortable ride, but i'd need to put a hub in the center of a 26in hoop, because my old mtb's wheel doesn't have a mount for disc brakes
    If You didn't start on a Hardtail you're doing it Wrong

mtbr member
    if it makes you happy and puts a smile on your face why not.

XC iconoclast
    I hated it. Well, that's too strong of a term...I didn't like it. I tried it off and on for a couple of years. Keep in mind this was not a plus tire in back, it was a 26x2.4. Climbing was slow and tedious with a taller tire up front. Stability was worse in back with a smaller tire, even if the width was the same as the normal 27.5 tire in back. I didn't notice any advantage in acceleration. Only disadvantages. Maybe a smaller plus tire in back has advantages.

A smaller plus tire in front, that I absolutely love, 26 x 2.8 front, 27.5 x 2.4 back. That is great for XC/lighter trail riding. If it's hardpacked the plus tire will be a little slower but if it's rocky/chunky it's a great setup and the plus tire up front is in general faster than voluminous (2.4, 2.5, 2.6) 27.5/27.5. I have no idea why more people don't try 1/2 plus, either with the same height of tire in front or one height size down. I'm also trying it with 27.5 x 2.8 / 27.5 x 2.4 and that combination is scary fast on some trails, it's a bulldozer. It doesn't feel faster, it actually feels slower, like I'm in slow motion with such a tall 28.4 inch tire, but I look at the segment numbers and I'm like WTF how did I just go that fast? I can see why people love 29" because of the speed/momentum factor, but I'll stick with 27.5 for now. Because...if it's a wider tire, it's really not 27.5 inches high: 2.6 is usually 28 inches high, and 2.8 is usually 28 1/2 inches high. That's enough rollover and clearance to really go fast on the straights without the handling penalty of a 29".

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have made a few mullet bikes in the past that I kind of liked. It was back when 26" ruled the day. One was a Pivot Mach 5.7 with 26" rear and 27.5 in front. Also an Ibis HD3 with similar setup. Both were great light endure setups in their time. Also I put a 29" front wheel on a 2014 (27.5") Pivot Mach 6 frame. That worked out kind of interesting too.

mtbr member
    My 2.35 hans dampf 26er was taller overall than my 2.3 purgatory in 27.5.

The only way you can get a significant "mullet" setup is to run a 2.1 26er and a >2.4 27.5 up front. Then you have poor rear traction and a wonky bike anyway.

Theres no benefit or reason to use a 26 wheel. Its inconsequentially smaller, rim choice sucks, tire choice sucks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post

Theres no benefit or reason to use a 26 wheel. Its inconsequentially smaller, rim choice sucks, tire choice sucks.
    The reason for using a 26" wheel on back would be because 26" is what your frame is designed for. And you still want to get some use out of the bike. In that case a 27.5" front wheel can work fairly well.

mtbr member
    Yes, but the thread is about putting a 26er wheel on a 27.5 frame.

mtbr member
    You tried it. You liked it.
    I guess the question is, do you now prefer it over 27.5 front and back?
    Only you can answer that.
    I wouldn't do it, but so what?
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 03-06-2020 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Most importantly, it is your bike and your money .... if you like it, then go for it!

However, you could be enjoying the benefits of a slacker geometry more than you are enjoying the 26" rear wheel. I wonder if you could get a similar feel, and have more fun, by increasing the travel on your fork.

mtbr member
    My main bike is a 26er that happened to fit a 27.5 in the front with plenty of clearance in the fork. I run Minions front and rear, and the 27.5 is actually only .5 bigger in diameter.

It slacker out the bike from 65.5 to 65 degrees; barely noticeable. The only thing Ive noticed is very slightly more traction up front. Id probably put a 27.5 wheel in the back but theres not quite enough clearance.

I dont think Id put a 26 wheel on a 27.5 bike though.