Wonky tire- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wonky tire

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Wonky tire

Hi all, first time posting. I just got my Yukon 2 back from the Giant dealer. The rear wheel failed after two weeks, no coasting. Anyway, that's not the reason for this post. I noticed when I test road the bike at home, I looked down at the rear tire as it was spinning, at was spinning wonky! I looked at how the tire was seated on the rim and the tire seam doesn't follow evenly around the perimeter of the rim, it's seems off slightly. To resolve this, is it probably just a matter of letting out the air, reset the tire and pump it up again? Been years since I've done a bike tire change. Any tips for me? Thanks a bunch all.
    Last edited by Peter123456789; 04-28-2019 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    It's a common thing, it can be quite difficult to seat a tyre evenly. This is the best method I've found and so far it has worked every time.

Remove the tyre and run a lick of washing up liquid/detergent around the bead on both sides of the tyre. You might be able to get the detergent onto the bead without taking the tyre off buy just letting the air out and running your finger round the rim.

Refit the tyre and inflate to just over the max pressure stated on the side of the tyre. Leave the wheel sitting overnight then let the tyre down to your preferred pressure.

Spin the wheel and be amazed by how straight the tyre is! ;0)

mtbr member
    May 2017
    A lot of times after a few rides the tire seats the rest of it's way on its own so i would't get all wound up about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Might consider that, thank you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    True, it was just put on and I've only ridden an hour or so, thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am going to try Mr. Pig's tip for wobbly rear tire. I have re-seated it using a shop compressor, but still wobbles. Checked rim and it is true, checked derailleur hanger and it is straight. May just be a QC issue with the tire.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Let me know how it goes

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    It's a common thing, it can be quite difficult to seat a tyre evenly. This is the best method I've found and so far it has worked every time.

Remove the tyre and run a lick of washing up liquid/detergent around the bead on both sides of the tyre. You might be able to get the detergent onto the bead without taking the tyre off buy just letting the air out and running your finger round the rim.

Refit the tyre and inflate to just over the max pressure stated on the side of the tyre. Leave the wheel sitting overnight then let the tyre down to your preferred pressure.

I use Armor All, that stuff is slick!

And it helps to put the wheel out in the sun after you've over-inflate it a bit, but I guess you could leave it overnight if you're lacking sunny days. ;-)
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    You got the bike back with the tire improperly installed? If so, not confidence inspiring...a shop should do it right, but anyway.

I'd just find the max PSI on the tire and/or inflate to ~45 PSI until the bead seats. You'll often hear a "ping", but not always. The tire should look even and not "wonky". Be sure to check both sides. Of course let the extra air out as soon as it seats. If that doesn't work, a bit of soapy water in a bucket and re-inflate (or the other methods mentioned above).
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post

I thought that was my trick. Take my star you magnificent bastard!!!!
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetta2010 View Post
    I thought that was my trick.
    I didn't say I invented it? ;0)

CEO Product Failure
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    And it helps to put the wheel out in the sun after you've over-inflate it a bit, but I guess you could leave it overnight if you're lacking sunny days. ;-)
    Great tip. For new tires, I'll leave them out in the sun a couple hours before I mount them. I use Windex to lube my tires onto the rims. Soap/water and ArmorAll probably work well. I also over inflate a bit overnight and then reduce to my riding PSI.

From my experience, I have found that once a tire is wonky I am unable to correct it. It needs to be mounted correctly from the start. Its strange because I've been riding for 30+ yrs and this "issue" only started with tubeless tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    So I ended up deflating the tire and putting a bead of liquid dish detergent around the tire and inflated it to more than what I originally had. Next morning it was improved, not perfect but better so thanks a bunch for the suggestion!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter123456789 View Post
    So I ended up deflating the tire and putting a bead of liquid dish detergent around the tire and inflated it to more than what I originally had. Next morning it was improved, not perfect but better so thanks a bunch for the suggestion!
    If the bead is fully seated in to the hook of the rim, you are good to go. No tire is perfect and you may see some side to side in the tread. I would never ride a tire that is not fully seated though. The sidewall of the tire is not designed to have the hook of the rim dig into it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I've got it straight as possible now. I want to show a pic of the damage to the sidewall. What a cluster truck this new bike is.