Will Riser Bars help with Fit and Feel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Will Riser Bars help with Fit and Feel?

Hello!

I am looking to purchase a used 2015 Trek Slash 8 with a 17.5 frame (18.0 actual). Im 61 and just test rode the bike.

It feels small. It particularly feels that way due to the rise and reach of the stock bars (or so I think). Its currently equipped with 750mm bars with a 15mm rise. Im curious if replacing these bars with 780mm-800mm riser bars (50mm rise?) will help with the small feeling.

Im not new to mountain biking but I am new to geometry of bikes and this will be the first medium frame Ive ridden. Will replacing the bars make this bike a better fit for me? Or should I spend my time looking for a bike with a large frame?

Thanks for the help!

Bikesexual
    Frame is too small for you. I'm 5'11.5" and ride a Large.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Short answer, you're too tall for a medium sized frame. So even if its a good deal, I'd pass on it.

What you're feeling is both too little stack (vertical distance from bottom bracket to top of headset), and too little reach (horizontal distance from the bottom bracket, to the top of the headset).

Riser bars can help somewhat (they add stack height), but that won't help with the lack of reach. A new longer stem can help with that, but only to a certain point. Too long of a stem makes you lean too far over the front of the bike (less stable), which is why larger bike frames exist .

I'm 6'1", and I'm usually right between Large, and Extra Large, depending on the brand/bike/etc. I'm currently on a Large Kona Process 153, and sometimes feel I should have gone for an XL.

So, to make mine fit better, I've added a 38mm riser bar (helped with stack height problem for me), and am considering throwing on a slightly longer stem (maybe a 40, or 50mm stem).

So again... I'd pass on a medium, but you CAN adjust fit. Its just that you can't usually adjust fit enough to accommodate what works out to be a full frame size or two difference.

EAT MORE GRIME
    yeah I'm 5 foot 8 and that is my bike size basically
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Dream it, Do it.
    I would add that riser bars might even decrease reach by increasing stack height. [corrected]
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I would add that riser bars might even decrease reach by reducing stack height.
    Do you mean effectively "increasing" stack height?

Because its true, if you increase stack, the "effective" reach usually reduces (as the handlebars/stem are mounted on the fork, which is set at the heat tube angle, which is "pointed" towards the rider).

But if you meant a riser bar decreasing stack height? I guess the only way I'm seeing that is if you replace one riser bar with a shorter riser bar? Or am I misunderstanding you?

mtbr member
    I would add that riser bars might even decrease reach by reducing stack height.
    Reach and Stack are a function of frame design. Nothing will change the Reach or Stack once the frame is built.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Do you mean effectively "increasing" stack height?

Because its true, if you increase stack, the "effective" reach usually reduces (as the handlebars/stem are mounted on the fork, which is set at the heat tube angle, which is "pointed" towards the rider).
    Yes, brain fart on my end. Increasing stack height which effectively reduces distance between the saddle and the handlebars whether that is formally defined as "reach" or not.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    vikb is right but-----as your bar rises it gets closer to your seat so while stack/reach/ETT do not change your real distance from your seat to the bar will decrease as the bar is angles toward your seat by the head angle.

This is why I always ignore ETT and measure all bikes from the seat to the bars with the seat at RIDE height---as this is what is real for us and changes by indiviudal

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yes, brain fart on my end. Increasing stack height which effectively reduces distance between the saddle and the handlebars whether that is formally defined as "reach" or not.
    No worries, it happens to all of us .

I'm still new to the sport, so I was mostly wanting to double check that I was understanding things right.

To the OP, good luck finding a bike that you're happy with. I typically restrict my search on PinkBike/etc by size first, so I don't get my hopes up about a bike I like before I notice its the wrong size.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Frame is too small for you. I'm 5'11.5" and ride a Large.
    ^^^this^^^