Will 650B make me longer...?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Will 650B make me longer...?

Wheelbase. Will adding 650B wheels make my wheelbase longer? Sorry if this is a stupid question. The axles don't move, but the wheels size will be bigger.

I am going to run 650B wheels on my 2010 Jamis XAM. 2.1 Nevegal rear. 2.35 Nevegal front. Moving from 26" 2.35 Nevegals.

I am stoked to try 650B...been back and forth on 29 and 26 for too long. I've owned everything. Looking for the "grail" trail and all mountain rig, and am thinking that 650B is close. I want the roll and rollover of the 29. I want to stiffness and precision of the 26.

I am concerned about jacking up my BB height, but am hoping to over come that by being dazzled by the wheel size.

Tell me what I can expect. Thanks!

Dude, got any schwag?
    You said it, the axles don't move. So no, not longer in this case.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
    You said it, the axles don't move. So no, not longer in this case.
    Agree 100%.

Please don't use the word "stoked" anymore it was around since 1974,
    three years before "awesome" was being used as well.

But congrats on doing the 650b. You will be very happy, although if you ride in
    muddy terrain your frame will be splattered even more with mud and grime.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    I prefer radical myself.

DO IT! I think it might be even, super rad.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It won't make it longer ,but like a 29er ,you will get extra stability like having a longer wheelbase.Your front wheel won't tuck under as much in loose corners. Is that what you are after?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Please don't use the word "stoked" anymore it was around since 1974, three years before "awesome" was being used as well.

Life Is Short
    Thanks Pothole for that. And remember 'stoked' is 1974 lingo man, knock it off! How about saying 'groovy' or 'far out' thats only 5-6 year older than 'stoked'.
    Please use 'blown away' thats only 20 years old.

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Thanks Pothole for that. And remember 'stoked' is 1974 lingo man, knock it off! How about saying 'groovy' or 'far out' thats only 5-6 year older than 'stoked'.
    Please use 'blown away' thats only 20 years old.
    Far Out!

I've gotten interested in the half-fat idea. I'd like to try it with a very conventional hardtail bike with a 120mm suspension fork and made for 26" tires. I have been looking at some of the fatties thinking I could ditch the cheap sus fork and go rigid. Are there 650B tires which are high-volume enough to run the air pressure down to 8 psi?

I am reading about the 29+, but it is not yet available, and adapting one to the front of my old HT looks expensive and awkward. Suggestions on a 650B rim to check out?

mtbr member

Yes...that is what I am looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    It won't make it longer ,but like a 29er ,you will get extra stability like having a longer wheelbase.Your front wheel won't tuck under as much in loose corners. Is that what you are after?
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to be doing the conversion on a Jamis XAM. Cool bike, but I feel like the WB is a little short for my tastes, and am hoping that the 650B will help that OTB feeling I get sometimes.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I am hoping that the rise in BB height doesn't negate the stability of the wheels.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Try front only as raising the BB will increase the short WB feeling negating any positives from the front wheel.

mtbr member

Not sure I follow....

Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Try front only as raising the BB will increase the short WB feeling negating any positives from the front wheel.
    I have a liberal arts degree...don't quite like the math. Can you explain this to me a bit clearer? What are you describing exactly?

Are you saying that the 650B will really do nothing in terms of changing the OTB feeling...if I go 650B front and rear? I am hoping the little bit extra tire diamter will negate the OTB feeling somewhat.

It's weird because I've ridden 43" WB bikes before (29ers) and have not had this feeling. The WB on the XAM is 44 inches. The BB is highish, though. I am thinking that the lack of BB drop has everythin to do with the OTB feeling.

Thanks.

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb View Post
    I have a liberal arts degree...don't quite like the math. Can you explain this to me a bit clearer? What are you describing exactly?

Are you saying that the 650B will really do nothing in terms of changing the OTB feeling...if I go 650B front and rear? I am hoping the little bit extra tire diamter will negate the OTB feeling somewhat.

It's weird because I've ridden 43" WB bikes before (29ers) and have not had this feeling. The WB on the XAM is 44 inches. The BB is highish, though. I am thinking that the lack of BB drop has everythin to do with the OTB feeling.

Thanks.
    Look at the picture. Print it, and get a straight-edge and a pencil.
    Note that the BB is much closer to the rear axle than the front axle.
    Add a bit of height to both wheels. You get the BB higher by that additional height.

Now, make the front wheel bigger. Draw a new line for the earth. The front axle raises up the full amount you added with the bigger wheel. The rear axle does not move at all. The BB is raised up a tiny amount, as it is much closer to the rear axle than the front axle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will 650B make me longer...?-10_xam2.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    650b will also make you wider, if girth is important
    Firmer as well Longer and wider is no good without firmness you know
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

mtbr member

OK...girth and firmness aside...

Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Look at the picture. Print it, and get a straight-edge and a pencil.
    Note that the BB is much closer to the rear axle than the front axle.
    Add a bit of height to both wheels. You get the BB higher by that additional height.

Now, make the front wheel bigger. Draw a new line for the earth. The front axle raises up the full amount you added with the bigger wheel. The rear axle does not move at all. The BB is raised up a tiny amount, as it is much closer to the rear axle than the front axle.

This is interesting...and helps becuase it made me realize that I was perhaps phrasing my question incorrectly.

So...will converting to 650B giev the impression, the feeling, that I have a longer wheelbase? I mean, I will e adding an inch or so in diameter to each tire. That not lonly raises the BB, but also lengthens the bike's footprint, right?

I guess I won't know until I mount the wheels and ride them.

Thanks!

Flow like water
    On smooth pavement, you will not have any impression of a longer wheelbase with larger diameter tires. Your wheelbase will not be longer if you measure it. It is simply not longer.

What is true is that your larger diameter tire will contact a bump in the track sooner than a smaller diameter tire.

Members who have read this thread: 0