That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008

wide 26 front, narrow 650B rear?

Hypothetical question here but would it make sense to run a fat 26" tire in the front and a narrower 650B tire in the rear ending up with similar wheel diameters? Say a 26X2.6 in the front and a 27.5X2.1 in the rear. Or even 26X3 in the front and 27.5X2.5 in the rear (if they make them, I don't know)

That way you could have a big meaty front tire and a lighter faster tire in the rear keeping both wheels at approximately the same diameter.

mtbr member
    Hmm...There is someone here that runs the 27X2.3 Pacenti Neo-Moto in the rear, with a Surly Endomorph 3.7 up front.

Heres the link:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=485536

TNC
    noMAD man
    Big, fat, tall 26" tires are almost always relatively heavy...aren't they? Plus the tallest 26" tire I ever ran was a Michy DH 32 which is an almost dirt motor motor sized 2.8. I ran it in the front on a Monster T and a Super T. This tire was huge in height and width. It still wasn't as tall as a 650B NeoMoto. The Neo wouldn't come close to fit safely in my Marz forks while the 2.8 Michy had acceptable clearance.

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    I am sort of surprised that a 26x2.8 was not close to as tall as the NeoMoto (2.3"?). Maybe Michy makes really low wide tires?

I know for 3" tires the Intense DH has really short sidewalls, Duro Wildlife Leopard is sort of in-between and Gazzalodi's are possibly the tallest out there.

I don't have a tape with me but I think my Gazz measures over 28" when mounted on a 46mm rim. it is just a few mm less than a 27X1-1/4" wheel I had on the same frame.

I might never build up this frainkenbike but I think it would be a fun ride.

Thanks for the link to the "space oddity"

Members who have read this thread: 1