• 12-30-2014
    Johnny_Cyclone
    Who makes the Racer X style bike in 27.5
    Question:

So what bike for 2014/2015 is made in the 650b/27.5 format that would be closest to my trusted 26" Racer X?

Thinking of going this route if possible. Wanting basically a Racer X with bigger hoops (geometry adjusted accordingly for wheel size). Maybe it's the retro grouch in me on the Racer X requirement, but it's what i'm personally looking for in a new bike. ;) .. oh, and with an SLX/Xt range package.

Maybe I'm wrong thinking this way, but.... well you know how some of us old guys can be.
  • 12-31-2014
    KRob
    Well if you want the 71 deg head angle of the RX you might be out of luck ;), but my first real mtb was the HH100x (a Racer X with geometry adjusted for 100mm fork and beefed up downtube, gussets, and boxed in chainstay yoke) and I loved that bike.

After ten years of going to bigger, slacker, longer travel bikes since the HH I recently purchased a SC 5010c and it is the closest thing to the RX but with up-to-date geometry, 27.5" wheels, but more importantly in feel and fun factor that I have ridden.

The RX ( and the HH100x even more so) was an XC bike with the heart and soul of a trail/am bike and that's what the 5010 feels like to me. I hadn't really put that together in my head until you asked the question.

If you love FSR suspension, then maybe the Norco Sight or better yet the Transition Scout.
  • 12-31-2014
    b-kul
    giant anthem 27.5 is the closest thing i can come up with off the top of my head.
  • 12-31-2014
    Daverino
    FWIW I went from a 2004 Racer X to a 2011 Giant Anthem X 26" and found this transition to be "logical" (for lack of a better way to express it). The Anthem felt like a refined and more capable RX-- just as cat-quick, a damn efficient climber, and more comfortable. Lighter, as well. I would second the suggestion to look at the Anthem 27.5.
  • 12-31-2014
    richde
    Why not ask the original builder of the Racer X, he runs Pivot now.
  • 01-01-2015
    JMac47
    Sounds like you would like the new Mach 4. Depends on your budget.
  • 01-01-2015
    Johnny_Cyclone
    I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I was needing suggestions to narrow the search area.

So many bikes out there and wanting to keep the search small, simple, and still get pretty much what I wanted. this will be a real help.
  • 01-01-2015
    doismellbacon
    Yeah, Mach 4 is what I thought of. The original Racer X papa's current state of the art take on an extra fast extra fun trail / xc bike.

The Scout and 5010 are great suggestions too.