Wheel set upgrade for Giant Stance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Wheel set upgrade for Giant Stance

The front wheel on my 2017 Giant Stance 2 is making a lot of racket. The tech at my LBS recommends replacing the wheel set, preferably with something better than the stock wheels. Any recommendations for this upgrade? Thanks.

jcd's best friend
    http://www.speedgearbike.com

Wayne is an awesome wheel builder and has competitive prices. You can get yourself a nice set of aluminum wheels built in the $400-500 range or bump it up and get a carbon set. Email or give him a call! He loves talking wheels!
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Noisy bike, replace the wheels? Sounds odd to me. What's the cause?

(also, $4-500+ wheels for a $1500 bike seems excessive)
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Bearings corroded. I suspected the shock at first because the sound was more of an intermittent stretching sound, like a spring compressing. But he said that the corroded bearings intermittently bind causing the sound.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveQ View Post
    Bearings corroded. I suspected the shock at first because the sound was more of an intermittent stretching sound, like a spring compressing. But he said that the corroded bearings intermittently bind causing the sound.
    Replace the bearings for $20.00

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Ah, I see. I'm not familiar with the hub they put on those. If it's cartrige bearings it's a pretty easy swap. If it has cup/cone and the bearing races (where the bearings sit) aren't too damaged you could just put in new bearings, grease and ride.

If you're looking to upgrade anyway, better recommendations can be made if we know your approx weight and how you like to ride.

Also, if I'm looking at the right thing, Giant's website says those are QR hub. Is that right?

turtles make me hot
    If you're swapping wheels based solely on the noise, fix the noise. It's either the bearings or the spokes need to be tensioned properly. An incorrectly built wheel can make some odd sounds.

Now, if you want better, stronger, lighter wheels or better tubeless or something else, I would suggest Raceface Arcs with the offset spoke bed, double butted spokes and either Bike Hub Store hubs or Hope hubs.
    I build this wheelset for lots of people looking to upgrade stock wheels. I'd do 30mm wide rims for yours.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    It does have cup and cone. The tech said that the races were a little damaged, and that replacing the bearings would be a temp solution. None the less I suppose it would hold me over until I find a more permanent solution. It doesn't look like too hard of a job.

I don't know if the hub is a QR. How can I tell?

I'm about 162, and I ride at two of the mountain bike parks in Miami - Amelia Earhart and Virginia Key, a few days a week. I do the entire course at Amelia, though I'm only up to one of the advanced trails at VK, otherwise just intermediate. I agree that $400 or $500 for wheels for this bike would be excessive. If that were my only option, I'd rather hold off til I'm ready to upgrade to a higher level bike.

Thanks for all of your advice!
    Steve

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    From what I can tell, the wheels are performing ok, with the exception of the constant noise, which is very distracting. I really don't have much to compare with, as this was the first mountain bike that I ever bought new, so everything seemed great to me at the time. I still really like the bike. Of course if there is corrosion, there must be some resistance slowing me down so, as I mentioned in my reply to no apathy, it seems that changing the bearings sounds like a good place to start. You also cited spoke adjustment as a possible cause for the noise. I don't know how to do this. I suppose there's a youtube on it somewhere.

The wheels you describe sound interesting, but I really don't have enough experience to make an intelligent choice yet. I'll check them out.

Thanks for your help
    Steve

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    QR is the older "quick release". Thru axle is thicker and there are a few variations but this pic should give you an idea which you have.

Wheel set upgrade for Giant Stance-bike_wheel_qr_and_thru_axle.jpg

Bearings are the cheapest/easiest option and if it'll hold you a while that's what I'd do as well and you could do it yourself pretty easily and keep an eye on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    There is another option. See if you can get some take off wheels, when someone gets a new bike then immediately upgraded the wheels, which happens a lot. I myself just did this. In wheels were easier to ship, you had thru axles, and I were closer I would get them to you.