mtbr member
    Feb 2009

What are my options?

With the 2009 riding season quickly approaching, I've been thinking about modifying my bike or getting a new bike. I currently have a 2001 17.5" Trek 8000, with v-brakes and pretty much stock and it's been a great bike. It has a 80mm Judy SL front fork, Bontrage Comp crank, LX Shifters, Deore Front, Deore XT Rear and Shimano HG-50 11-32 Cassette. I haven't changed anything on it, except for the seat and tires since I have bought it in 2002. I'd really like to get a front fork with a little more travel and switch to disc brakes. I'm sure by changing my chain and cassette it would help the skipping gears every once in a while when going up hill. I really think I'd like to go to a 29" front wheel, is this something I can do with my frame? Or would it be more economically to just buy a new bike (i.e. Trek 69er 3x9)?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Buy a new bike. Your talking major upgrades. Major upgrades=major $$
    At the end of the day you still have an 8 year old bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I agree, new bike. you would spend more to upgrade and have less.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the response I was hoping for, I hope my wife reads it. I'm pretty sure I want to get a 69er, it just make sense to have a larger front wheel. I like the Trek 69er, but I'm not sure if I like the color too much. Who else makes a 69er? I like Trek because they are engineered and made in the US, plus I've been on a factory tour.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Maybe I can convert my 8000 into a SS!!!

Master of the Obvious
    Where are you located? at the shop I work at we have a 2008 17.5 Trek 69er on clearance.
    instead of this years black and white script paint it is all white. I have the same bike and have been riding and racing it hard for over a year now, and I really enjoy this bike, probably my second favorite all time (my 1978 Mongoose w/ Motomags will remain #1)
    if your anywhere near Arkansas PM me and we ca set you up!

Members who have read this thread: 0