What About The CO-OP DRT 1.3- Mtbr.com
    DHer since 05’

New question here. What About The CO-OP DRT 1.3

Hello, my name is Jacoby, and I am an avid downhill Mountain bike Racer. I currently have a 2017 Specialized pitch (as a commuter). I live in Marin, and so everyone here, are all XC riders. It is not my style, but I try to keep up with them on the uphills, and they try to keep up with me on the DH parts. My bike has served me very well, and I love it, but it is getting very old, and the mechanical disc brakes, are starting to have some problems, the shocks are dead, Etc. I do not want to spend a lot of money on an XC Bike, but want one that I can ride with my buds. I have recently come across the CO-OP DRT 1.3, and it seems very cool, but I cannot find someone to rate it for me. If anyone could tell me what they think about it as a commuter/XC bike, please comment below. Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
    Jacoby

mtbr member
    Did you test ride it? My initial thought is that is will be pretty similar to your current bike. Sure some diffs, but not wholesale changes/improvements.

DHer since 05’
    I have not test ridden it yet, but want to. I know, however it is 29lbs. That is better than what I have now. I don’t need such a heavy bike, because I can take on some challenges when it comes to downhill, but uphill is important too (for XC). If anyone has any suggestions for quality XC cheap MTBs that are lighter than 30lbs, please tell me!

Bipolar roller
    What About The CO-OP DRT 1.3-1218b69b-d0ea-42e6-8b6d-30e9aded20fa.jpg

How about something like this? They have 27.5” versions as well, but as your focused on XC then 29er would be the way to go. Also, might want to post this in the 29er forum as 29ers are the “go to”wheel size for anything XC.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod181496
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

DHer since 05’
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post

How about something like this? They have 27.5” versions as well, but as your focused on XC then 29er would be the way to go. Also, might want to post this in the 29er forum as 29ers are the “go to”wheel size for anything XC.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod181496
    that looks great!! Thank you so much for your recommendation!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I don't have a DRT1.3, I have a DRT1.2. I believe the 1.2 is the same frame as the 1.3 but is a lower spec component level. IE, the 1.2 has a coil fork while the 1.3 has an air fork. The 1.3 also has better cranks, derailleurs, tires, brakes, hubs, etc. Arguably for the price difference the 1.3 is a better deal than the 1.2, but I'm not any top tier mountain biker and I don't really need "the best". The DRT1.2 had the tapered headset and hydraulic brakes and was very comfortable for the right price, for me.

I did test ride the 2019 Specialized Pitch before buying the DRT1.2 this summer, and honestly, the two bikes, to me, felt drastically different. I never thought the Pitch was comfortable, while the DRT1.2 was very comfortable. I recommend you ride the DRT1.3, because if you really love the Pitch, you may not like the DRT1.3 at all.

From a spec standpoint, I think the DRT1.2 was much nicer that the Pitch I looked at, and the 1.3 is only better than the 1.2.

Your Pitch is a 2017, so it's arguably not "really old", if you truly love it, have you considered just swapping the fork and brakes and tires?. Hydraulic discs are awesome and will make it feel like a different bike during braking into a corner. A decent air fork will change/improve bump response and bring down the weight. Good, light weight tires will bring down the weight and make it corner and recover differently, and lighter if you go tubeless. I guess it really depends on how much you want to spend since doing what I recommended will put you into the $500+ upgrade range relatively easily.

The DRT1.3 will never be a downhill bike in the sense of what a "downhill" bike really is. However, if by downhill you mean that you like to quickly descend XC trail hills, then DRT1.3 is probably fine for you with that, I do a lot of that with my DRT1.2.