mtbr member

What 150-160 mm travel bikes without low bottom bracket?

My current ride is a 2011 26 inch Giant Reign. One thing that bothers me about the several new 27.5 longer travel bikes is the low bottom bracket height. Ive ridden a few on demo days, and keep pedal striking.

I know the new long and low geometry is pretty common, but are there any good longer travel bikes that are made for more tech terrain? Here in sunny Tucson AZ it is really rocky, and makes riding lower BB bikes less fun.

Maybe I just need to adapt and compromise.

mtbr member
    Shorter cranks? Thinner pedals? Practice?

Can't help with frame suggestions sorry.

mtbr member
    How many mm from the ground is your current bike?

mtbr member
    I think the 2011 Giant Reign had a BB height of 13.9"....the Reign X was 13.7"
    The 2016 Pivot M6 BB height is 13.6", as is the Yeti SB6c.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Lower BB height is the new norm on these bikes.....I am also in Tucson, my bike is a 150mm Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail. When I first got it, I was constantly hitting rocks and getting strikes. First, ditch the cranks and go 170. Second, the DB Inline, while a great shock, rode low in the travel for me. Put on a Debonair or a Cane creek DBAir, felt like a different bike. A lot of the manufacturers are also recommending high sag percentages and that increases the bike riding lower.
    At first I hated the low BB, but once I swapped cranks and shock, I like it much better than before. Also get some thin pedals......I use VP harriers, cheap thin and light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Some bikes with not crazy low bbs:

Trek Slash
    Trek Remedy
    Knotty Warden in the high setting

I had an HD3 with a Pike 160 and pedal strikes were not an issue. I'm on a nomad 3 now and definitely get more pedal strikes, but I seem to have gotten used to it. If it became I problem I'd consider going to a 170 fork and a +1 angleset, which would raise the bb about 4mm while leaving me with a 73.9 STA and 65.4 HA. I'd also consider the 170 cranks, but at 6-3 I don't like that idea much.

mtbr member
    I have been demo'ing a Intense Tracer 275c in large. Has a 13.5" BB
    I didn't have any problems with pedal hits.
    Bike was FUN.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    My Enduro is 360mm or 14.4". But I am running a 170mm fork which will have lifted it a bit. I'd think your Reign is pretty normal.
    Either run less sag
    Shorter cranks
    Thinner pedals
    Taller fork
    Get used to it, just a matter of timing your pedal strokes. And the easiest and cheapest solution!

mtbr member
    Less sag is a good idea, and consider a suspension design [DW link perhaps] that rides higher in its travel.

mtbr member
    You can always try to get a frame built for a shorter travel fork and put a taller fork on it. This would change stack and reach, but you could adjust for that as well. Check out http://bikegeo.muha.cc

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Little bit bigger tires can also move you up.

mtbr member
    The Plague comes in at 13.5" with 160mm travel, so that is very close to where you are at. Oh wait, you can't buy the bike yet...

What 150-160 mm travel bikes without low bottom bracket?-plague.jpg

mtbr member
    Reducing sag isn't really a good choice, though it would work, it negates the purpose of a long travel suspension. Removing sag lifts the bike, but at a cost of reducing the negative travel in the suspension so when you go over roots, rocks, etc your suspension will not have enough negative travel to keep you in contact with the ground fast enough. This comes into play at slower tech sections more than high speed stuff but it still not the right way to go about getting more ground clearance. Depending on your fork and shock you can always stack more tokens for a more progressive rate so it will be plush on the bottom but the spring rate will increase as the shock/forks compress. You can always try to adapt to a lighter riding style by staying off the seat more. Keeping your weight on the seat over bumpy section like rocks, roots, etc will definitely result in more pedal strikes if you are not aware of your stoke over that terrain. Hope I didn't over complicate this lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Check out Devinci's bikes. I've been doing a lot of geo research lately and their bb's seem to be higher than the norm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Liteville