mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Using XT based bike when raining

Hello guys, i always want to ride when raining. My bike is Merida Big seven 900:
    https://fr.merida.be/vtt/hardtail/bi...t+zwart/2016/#
    Could i use this bike when raining hard, without disassembling and cleaning everything after ride?
    Thanks.

Sneaker man
    You "can" get away with it for a ride or two...depending on how much mud and gunk it gets covered in... but every time you do the lifetime of the drivetrain will be reduced.
    I'll often go 3 or 4 rides in the wet without a clean... but it depends entirely on what happened, very wet and muddy, then clean after ever ride... this can also happen in dry dusty conditions.

But whatever happens, if you don't look after you bike it will turn to crap pretty quick, the "XT" level won't really help there...

Probably a bigger issue, should you be riding the trails when it really wet, you can screw the trails up worse than your bike...what to see if their are trail closures in your area.
    All the gear and no idea.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    What you need is a rain bike. And galoshes.

Name:  rainbike.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  196.2 KB

mtbr member
    Aside from the obvious need to clean things off after a wet and/or muddy ride, lubrication is something to consider. What type of oil do you use? Since my typical rides are dry and dusty, I use "dry" oil and chain "wax" by default. But if I know there's a chance for extended wet and muddy riding, I clean the dry oil and wax off, and lube with a "wet" oil.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Mountain bikes are made to get wet and muddy. It's part of their purpose.
    As long as you're not riding in salt water, not a big deal at all.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Sure.
    HTA of 71.
    Put on some slick xc tyres to match.
    Fasten your seatbelts and go 100% full speed.

since 4/10/2009
    You can ride any bike in the rain. but every bike needs to be lubricated and cleaned at least occasionally. the wetter and nastier the conditions, the more frequently that needs to happen. The quality of your components really don't change that, but you may be able to get by for a little longer before poor care results in excessive wear of your components necessitating complete replacement.

If it's just rain, then a good lubricant that doesn't wash off in the first 30 seconds is going to be important. Beyond that, ensuring that the bike dries off relatively quickly will be your most important task because stuff will rust if the moisture sits on it for too long.

If there's light mud/grit that gets splashed on, then keeping that stuff out of the moving parts is important, too, because the abrasiveness will wear things out faster (I don't really care about it on the frame).

If you're getting mud caked all over stuff, then you should find some other trails to ride. You're not supposed to take the trail home with you. Besides, if cakey mud is gumming up stuff, your risk of outright breaking something increases. Sticks can hide in there more easily. The resistance from the muddy mess itself. The extra crashing you're probably doing. Etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Beyond that, ensuring that the bike dries off relatively quickly will be your most important task because stuff will rust if the moisture sits on it for too long.
    Gotta say, I've never in my life dried off a bike, and none of my bikes are rusty. There really aren't many parts on a modern mtb that are susceptible to rusting in the first place besides the chain, cog and random bolt heads.

I ride them hard and put them away wet all the time, and the only rust ever see is might be some light surface rust on the chain (and then only if I don't happen to take that same bike out again for a few days). That tends to disappears by itself within the first mile of the next ride even if go all-out on the laziness and don't relube.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Gotta say, I've never in my life dried off a bike, and none of my bikes are rusty. There really aren't many parts on a modern mtb that are susceptible to rusting in the first place besides the chain, cog and random bolt heads.

I ride them hard and put them away wet all the time, and the only rust ever see is might be some light surface rust on the chain (and then only if I don't happen to take that same bike out again for a few days). That tends to disappears by itself within the first mile of the next ride even if go all-out on the laziness and don't relube.
    Depends where you store it.

Most of the time, it hasn't been a concern for me, but occasionally, it has. I didn't say that you had to actually dry the bike off all the time, but rather "ensuring the bike dries off" which means being aware of potentially moist/humid storage conditions that would prevent the bike from drying off on its own. At my last house, my bike "shop" was in my basement. I would run a dehumidifier when my basement would be particularly humid, because of the suite of problems that humidity would cause (not just to the bikes).

Leaving it outside is going to make it hard to keep rust at bay. I recall one person on the forum who was upset his bike had problems because he left it outside all the time, fairly close to the coast (salt air). You'd think stuff like that would be obvious, but sometimes it's not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Depends where you store it.
    I usually just toss them either in my shed or in the back of my Suburban.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.