Used Frame Build - Knolly vs Ibis vs Evil- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Used Frame Build - Knolly vs Ibis vs Evil

I'm looking to transfer my current mid travel 650b build to a carbon 150mm 650b frame that's a couple years old. My budget of $1000-$1500 puts me pretty squarely in the Knolly Warden Carbon or Evil Insurgent arena, but I could probably stretch for a HD4 if the right deal came along. I'd be transferring over my pike (with air spring swap), non-boost wheelset (I'd have to get a rear hub adapter for the HD4), cranks, drive train, etc. My riding is pretty heavily in the trail/all mountain category, based in the Rockies, but I've recently been putting more and more air under my tires, hence the reason to go up a little bit in travel. I still put in the occasional 3-5k' day of climbing however, and not all of our trails are black diamond+ territory, we have our share of smooth-ish blues. I do have a dedicated bike for the parks, so this bike would only be a trail bike.

These 3 all seem fairly similar in geometry, plus or minus. I believe all 3 should be fairly durable (no warranty since I'll be the 2nd owner). My gut says the Ibis pedals the best and has the most pop/play, Knolly will be the best technical climber and an all around descender, while the Evil will probably be the best when the descents get the rowdiest but maybe not super efficient on the climb. Can't really demo bikes since they're all used at this point but I've ridden both an Ibis and Knolly, never ridden an Evil. Not interested in going up to the 160+ category like the Slayer/Firebird/Patrol/Spartan. I did see the Salsa Redpoint but for some reason I didn't get really excited about that one, and the head angle would need an angleset immediately.

Is my synopsis somewhat accurate? Is there one to avoid of the group? Another obvious one I'm missing?

Hisforever
    Synopsis is pretty on point. Iíve ridden all of em. Funnest evil/warden-ibis
    Climbing. Ibis/ warden / evil worst
    Seen some killer warden And evil deals. Not So much w the ibis. Iíd buy ibis right now since Iíve ridden it the least and like to try everything- Is pick ibis for long rides

Prob the best all around. Size up over down if between sizes I think ie: 5í10 on a large

locked - time out
    Mar 2014
    This would make my decision so easy if I were you... why buy used when you could buy new w/ warranty...

https://shop.knollybikes.com/collect...ce-bikes-parts

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Agree with GT87, those close-out deals on the Carbon Warden are hard to go past. For me, if the prices are fairly similar then having a warranty vs not having one would mke it a fairly easy decision.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Those are all out of stock in size L unfortunately. Otherwise yes, I would have done that in a heartbeat and not even posted.

Edit: which I'd be fine with in terms of reach and top tube. I'd just get hosed on the dropper length with the taller seat tube. Maybe not the end of the world.