mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Upgrading Wheels to tubeless

I have a 2016 Giant Stance, and i believe it comes with 15mm front thru axle and a 135x5 rear i believe.. What options do i have for wheel upgrades as far as size of the rear axle, as i want to buy a tubeless wheel set? I see that there is not much of a selection for the 135x5 qr rear axles and a nice tubeless wheelset. I know i may be limited by the frame and wasnt sure if any other options were available that will work, and still make my cassette work and everything.

Sneaker man
    can't you just ghetto convert you current wheels to tubeless?

You should be able to get plenty of wheels that will fit, not like it's 26er or something... or just rebuild the wheel with a new rim.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretzy1990 View Post
    I have a 2016 Giant Stance, and i believe it comes with 15mm front thru axle and a 135x5 rear i believe.. What options do i have for wheel upgrades as far as size of the rear axle, as i want to buy a tubeless wheel set? I see that there is not much of a selection for the 135x5 qr rear axles and a nice tubeless wheelset. I know i may be limited by the frame and wasnt sure if any other options were available that will work, and still make my cassette work and everything.
    Its the Hub not the rim,
    Need to find a hub that can run that axle
    I9 can, DT Swiss can. a few others also.
    Too Many .

Dream it, Do it.
    DT 350 and 240 hubs are easily convertible between 9QR x 135 and 12 x 142 thru-axle. You can convert a 12 x 142 thru-axle to fit your 9 x 135 spacing.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Although I'm not completely sure, I'm betting your Giant has a 12x142 rear axle spacing. Pretty much most newer bikes 2012- 13 and newer are running that size. Boost, which is 12x148 is also coming around. Not many mountain bikes these days are running 10x135 rear hub spacing.
    As for running tubeless, again I'm guessing your wheels that came on that bike are tubeless ready or compatible.

mtbr member
    Which model Giant Stance is it? 1? 2? Did you get it locally? If so they can probably let you know if they can be easily set up tubeless. Stans No-tubes has a conversion and many people set up ghetto. There are multiple threads on this site. You may want to give it a try before you drop $$ on a wheelset. There are dozens of youtube videos on the subject. Here's one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByBAItDM3Ws

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    can't you just ghetto convert you current wheels to tubeless?
    Yep, a few wraps of Gorilla tape, a valve (or one cut from a old tube), some Stan's, a tubeless tire and I bet you'd be fine.
    2018 Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 500
    2018 YT Capra AL
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Which model Giant Stance is it? 1? 2? Did you get it locally? If so they can probably let you know if they can be easily set up tubeless. Stans No-tubes has a conversion and many people set up ghetto. There are multiple threads on this site. You may want to give it a try before you drop $$ on a wheelset. There are dozens of youtube videos on the subject. Here's one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByBAItDM3Ws
    This. '16 had the "2" model with QR both front and rear and the "1" with QR/15mm combo. By the OP's description, that should make it the "1". Either way, the rear is 135mm and conversion should be quite simple. Not sure I'd suggest the tube method over tape though, especially for the inexperienced.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Mine is the 27.5 "1" version. Has the 15mm/qr combo. I have looked into the Stans tubeless kits, and those seem pretty legit too. I was just wondering what rear hub to go with if i was going to buy new wheels, without sticking to the skinny qr. Someone told me I may be able to go with 135x9mm or something like that.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretzy1990 View Post
    Mine is the 27.5 "1" version. Has the 15mm/qr combo. I have looked into the Stans tubeless kits, and those seem pretty legit too. I was just wondering what rear hub to go with if i was going to buy new wheels, without sticking to the skinny qr. Someone told me I may be able to go with 135x9mm or something like that.
    135x9mm IS the standard QR measurement (not 135x5mm - the skewer is 5mm, but the axle is 9mm). The wheels you have should convert just fine. No need to upgrade unless you want to for other reasons.

Sneaker man
    It seems more like you're looking for an excuse to buy new wheels, if that what you want go foryour life, plenty out there and tubless to boot. But ifyou jsut want to go tubeless and thinkyou have to buy new wheels, than that not the case. Just do a backyard ghetto job on it and presto, ther you go, don't have to spend $$$$, just maybe some new tyres an sealant/vales.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    ok, since I just went thru this with my XtC Advanced, I will suggest this. See if the rear drop out can be changed over from 5x135 to 12x142, it was nothing more than a drop out kit for my bike.

Then once you have done that the sky's the limit for you. You can then run 12x142 rear and 15x100 front wheels with thru axles.
    My Giant's - 2014 Propel Adv Di2 - 2014 TCR Adv SL4 - 2014 Anthem Adv 27.5 - 2014 XtC Adv 27.5 - 2014 TCX Adv Pro

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    ok, since I just went thru this with my XtC Advanced, I will suggest this. See if the rear drop out can be changed over from 5x135 to 12x142, it was nothing more than a drop out kit for my bike.

Then once you have done that the sky's the limit for you. You can then run 12x142 rear and 15x100 front wheels with thru axles.
    Exactly. As you probably found out the only thing with the Giant drop out conversion it's proprietary to their thru axle which I believe has a specific pitch on the threads.

To the OP, if you come across some wheels with either DT 240/350 hubs you can get replacement end caps for a 135x10mm qr t/a which will fit right in the existing dropouts. As for just going tubeless, the easiest/most economical way is to get a conversion kit from Stans No Tubes(there are others) for your wheels to start.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Easton Heist
    REAR HUB TYPE X5, 10X135QR OR 12x142 REAR
    https://www.eastoncycling.com/produc...s/heist-wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I had my Heist 27's all season, like them a lot. Especially for the $$. They come setup tubeless out of the box.