mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Turner Flux with 650b Front Wheel

I built up a 650b wheelset this week (I've got a custom steel Pacenti HT on order )

So for fun, I set-up my Flux with the 650b front wheel and did a quick shakedown ride on my lunch break today. The bike has a tall 2.4" 26" MutanoRaptor rear and the 650b Pacenti 2.3 Neo-Moto in the front. The fork is a Fox Vanilla set to 100mm.

The Mutano is 26 3/4" tall and the Moto is 27 5/8" tall.

The bike felt very nice. Front end rolled very well ... very much like a 29er. Bike felt like riding the Reba at 115mm ... front end up a bit, but not out of control high.

I liked the way it rolled bigger log piles and the one fairly big boulder on my lunch loop. The front end doesn't drop away quite as much on the back side of the logs with the taller wheel and front end.

You can see from the pics that the 27.5er looks good on the Medium Flux. Just right in fact!

I'll keep riding this set-up for a while to get a better feel for it. First ride impressions were very favorable.

-SUB160
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All Mountain: Ventana El Chamuco
    XC: Turner Flux

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    NICE!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Great write up, thanks! I can't wait to start playing with my 650Bs!

- AR

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sweet,thanks for the write up! I have a Flux too and have been wondering how much better/different the 650B wheel would be too. Any chances a 650B wheel would fit in the rear as well? I would love to convert both if possible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by caudex333
    Sweet,thanks for the write up! I have a Flux too and have been wondering how much better/different the 650B wheel would be too. Any chances a 650B wheel would fit in the rear as well? I would love to convert both if possible.
    The 650b is not going to fit in the back of the Flux ... I have not tried it yet because I have not built the rear wheel yet ... but the MutanoRaptor fits with about 10 mm to spare ... and the NeoMoto is approx 11 mm larger in radius. Not going to make it.

I'm going to keep riding the 650b on the front for a while ... seems like a nice tweak to the way the bike rides.
    All Mountain: Ventana El Chamuco
    XC: Turner Flux

mtbr member
    Nice! Cool that not only did you add the 650b in front, but that you are able to run such a meaty and wide tire in the rear on a Flux!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

so how is it riding???

sub 160--are you still rolling the 650 up front on the Flux? i am probably going to buy a Stans 650 and go ahead an put it on my medium flux. wondered what you thought.

Members who have read this thread: 0