mtbr member
    Sep 2007

True (manufactured) 650b bikes and frames

This being a 650b thread and all, why don't we talk about those 650b bikes out there ready to go. If we show more interest in manufactured 650bs, maybe bike industry folks out there will start making more of them, say with front and full suspension. (There are a few good choices in rigid specific bikes, but some of us need the squish factor cause we, well, ride rough stuff fast).

The ones I have ridden, manufactured or well-done modifieds, clearly show that this is the best set-up, even for cross-country, so lets evaluate what is out there and generate some interest. Not everyone is mechanically inclined enough to modify a 26er, but would buy one ready to go

Also, why all the stubbornness on this from the industry, and please leave out costs as an excuse, because the market is there and will grow, and cost will be recouped. I've hear from many riders who are not mechanically inclined enough to modify a 26er, but would try/buy one ready to ride.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Been done before but here's my short list of production 650b specific bikes/frames

A) Haro Beasley (1x9 or Single speed variety)
    B)Soma B-Side - frameset offered by Soma Fab
    C) Ventana El Bastardo - FS frame set

For 2010 you will have:
    A) Haro Beasleys again - this time with at least one model sporting a suspension fork
    B) Haro Sonix 650b FS bike (s) - not sure if they will offer more than one level of this bike components wise
    C) Jamis will have two 5" travel FS offerings for 2010 - not sure if they have any hardtail plans
    D) I can't remember the name of the company - but there is an Aussie company that is testing 650b prototype hardtails (Defcon Cycles is it?)

I'm sure the Ventana and Soma Fab will remain as 2010 offerings.

Then you've got the following companies who design their frames primarily for 26" wheels but fully embrace 650b

A) Spooky Cycles - Mickey is a big fan of 650b and his Darksides and steel Horror Taxi frames work fine with 650b hoops
    B) Soul Cycles - The Soul Icon has room for 650b and Chad is fine with people running 650bs on his frames. I am not 100 percent sure, but I also think the Soul Hooligan also has room for 650b wheels if the right tire is chosen.

Then you've got the myriad assortment of custom builders (Shamrock, Erikson, Groovy etc. etc. etc. etc.) that are more than happy to build a 650b frame for a customer.

Am I forgetting any others?

mtbr member
    Mark,
    I'd say that 90% of the HorrorTaxi frames we sell are setup 650b. In a further point of clarification, our stock Darksides don't fit 650b wheels, but the custom Darksides we build are all 650b. We build the stock Darksides for Germans(kooks! all of them!)

mtbr member
    Carver does one or two, stock or custom, right?

Rivendell if you like lugged steel.

Doug at Curtlo's building one for me, so I assume you can add him to the custom list.

mtbr member
    Oh crap - yeah Carver for sure

Oh and also Rawland Cycles

The White Jeff W
    IBEX was talking about doing 650B at one point. Not sure where that stands.

We're also in early stages of developing two big-wheel FS frames... 29er XC and a 650B AM. 29" wheels offer superior rolling characteristics, but place limitations on frame design. A medium travel XC bike seems the choice here. For a little longer travel AM style bike, we're really impressed with the 650B wheels & tires championed by Kirk Pacenti. With a little coaching from the master, we hope to be among the first companies to offer production-line 650B models... hoefully sometime around mid-2009.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Oh crap - yeah Carver for sure

Oh and also Rawland Cycles

Oh crap, me too--how'd I forget Rawland when I have one hanging in my garage??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    Oh crap, me too--how'd I forget Rawland when I have one hanging in my garage??
    I thought you had one of those.

mtbr member
    And just about any custom builder will build you a 650b. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of builders that fit into this category. The prices will be a little higher than a production frame, but they bike will be exactly what you want (no compromises needed).
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    2010 Beasley will also be a 3x10.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    D) I can't remember the name of the company - but there is an Aussie company that is testing 650b prototype hardtails (Defcon Cycles is it?)
    Yep, thats correct, Defcon Cycles.

Look out for a branding launch in the not too distant future.
    Defcon Cycles - Brisbane Australia

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Blue Dog Customs is on the 650 bandwagon. Check them out at www.bluedogcustoms.com

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    KHS has a hardtail in the works. Give Kona or Rocky Mountain till 2011 probably but rocky could do it for 2010 if there was demand. They have hardtail frames now which fit NeoMotos.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

OS Blackbuck 650B

I know, there were only a handful made, but at $400 for a SS/geared frame that is also excellent handling, it's a great bike.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    I know, there were only a handful made, but at $400 for a SS/geared frame that is also excellent handling, it's a great bike.
    Sorry I missed those.

Members who have read this thread: 0