mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Trek fuel ex 8 17.5"?

Seeing what you guys think on a bike and sizing.
    was planning on buying a used 2016 trek fuel ex 8 27.5" for $1700. Great condition from post, that seems to be a good price. Seem worthwhile?
    i know bikes are best to be sat on to get the proper sizing, I am 5'8" and according to the trek website I am at the back end of the 17.5" size and the front end of the 18.5". Anyone at this height have experience and what works good for them? Newer to riding and want to make sure I get the correct long term fitting bike. Thank you.

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi,

I'm 5'11 and riding Trek Fuel ex 17.5"/18.5" with 50mm stem, it might be a little long large for you but try it to see if it fits you.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    sounds good, thank you. will go in and get a little ride on a 17.5", did ride an 18.5" 29er and seemed a little tall for me. Will know better once I can ride the other bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    im 5 8 and i run a 17.5 and i think it is perfect in fact I just bought a new bike in the same size

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The size sounds right, but try it if you can. I don't think you
    can go wrong with the Fuel EX, they are great bikes.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    At 5'8" tall, I fit PERFECTLY on a 17.5" Trek Remedy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thank you, what about the bike itself. Does that sound like a decent price for what I am getting. Retails $2900 new, original owner states that it does not have too many miles on it. Only has a small chip in the paint but other than that is in great condition.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakngs20 View Post
    Thank you, what about the bike itself. Does that sound like a decent price for what I am getting. Retails $2900 new, original owner states that it does not have too many miles on it. Only has a small chip in the paint but other than that is in great condition.
    If the owner can prove ownership, then it sounds like a fantastic deal.

I found a similarly smoking deal on my Remedy last year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    What do you mean by proving ownership? Not as simple as here is the bike, and buying?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Problem with the advice above is simple, not one person is mention their inseam. That makes a difference. Makes to ride both sizes first.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have a '15 Fuel ex8 and love it, though I wish I went with a larger size. I didn't like the stock evolution fork so I upgraded that. I think you should be fine with that size. Worst case scenario is you get to throw on a shorter stem and/or cut the handlebar down a tad. Mine came with a 70, so if the '16's are the same you'd have plenty of room to go shorter.

What size bike are you used to pedaling?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a Fuel eX8 27.5 and love it. the 2016 is even a bit better spec'd then my 2015. For $1700 that is a great deal IMO. Even if it does have a scuff or two. Mine has held up well for 2.5 seasons so far. I wouldn't go nuts worrying about proving ownership.... if you like it, buy it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Eyeballs: My hard tail is an 18.5".
    Went through with the purchase and adjusted everything for my weight and bike is in great condition. Just need to get it out there on the trails. Overall with all the reviews, seems to be a good purchase for the price. Thanks all.