mtbr member
    Feb 2004

trek 69er rear wheel

would a 29" wheel work on the rear of a top fuel 69er or the 69er bike?

Expert Crasher
    I really doubt it.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

People of zee wurl,Relax!

... and if we just ... It will fit in a Gary Fisher

If you want a 29" rear wheel I suggest trying a Paragon or HI FI 29er. There are a lot of people who like how the 26" wheel in the rear with a G2 fork on the front is handling so try the little wheel on the back and see how you like it.
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

JWA
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No way. I have my brand new Top Fuel 69er sitting six feet away from me and there is not enough room in the rear triangle. They designed it for the 26", so there's no wasted space.

It's not clear from your message, but if you haven't ridden one you really should. I was dubious about the 69er concept over a full 29er until I rode them. I preferred the 69er 3x9 over the comparable 29er Paragon and the Top Fuel 69er over the comparable HiFi Pro 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    JWA, Sounds like your the guy I need to talk to. I'm really torn between a Paragon and a 69er 3x9. I've ridden the Paragon a few times and it's a decent bike for the price. Nothing special here. I've not ridden a 69er yet but I keep reading such great reviews on them. None of the Trek deals/bike shops in Phoenix are willing to bring one in unless I place an order.
    My main reason for buying the bike is to race it. I already own a Niner RIP 9 but it's too much bike for racing. It's weighs 29.5 lbs. I'd like to get something lighter and faster accelerating.

From what you say below it seems that you've ridden both bikes and done your own comparison? If so, what can you tell me? What made you buy the 69er?

I was actually going to buy the Paragon tomorrow. My LBS is offering to upgrade the cranks, shifters and rear derailleur for 1800 plus tax. That's a pretty good deal.

Let me know what you think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by palmermtb
    JWA, Sounds like your the guy I need to talk to. I'm really torn between a Paragon and a 69er 3x9. I've ridden the Paragon a few times and it's a decent bike for the price. Nothing special here. I've not ridden a 69er yet but I keep reading such great reviews on them. None of the Trek deals/bike shops in Phoenix are willing to bring one in unless I place an order.
    My main reason for buying the bike is to race it. I already own a Niner RIP 9 but it's too much bike for racing. It's weighs 29.5 lbs. I'd like to get something lighter and faster accelerating.

From what you say below it seems that you've ridden both bikes and done your own comparison? If so, what can you tell me? What made you buy the 69er?

I was actually going to buy the Paragon tomorrow. My LBS is offering to upgrade the cranks, shifters and rear derailleur for 1800 plus tax. That's a pretty good deal.

If you prefer the way a 26" rear wheel spins up and you also prefer the way your 29ers front wheel rolls over obstacles, then you "wheel" love a 96er. You may also want to take a look at a Carver. I had one and it was rock solid. I also believe that you can build up a better spec'd Carver for the cost of the Trek.

I'd rather be riding!

I test rode the 69ers (both), the 29ers and the 26ers from Trek/Fisher a while back at demo days. Went only to ride 29ers and was not impressed with anything, but as they had plenty of bikes and few people I test rode all of them on twisty/rocky single track. I was blown away by the Top Fuel 69er ride. It absolutely feels like you are on rails going through turns and the 29 inch front tire takes care of the roots and rocks like its susposed to. The 69er 3x9 was just as good minus the rear shock. In my hands they were much better than the Paragon.

Just my opinion though.

Master of the Obvious
    Palmer,

Today is the day my new bike arrives. I am getting a 3x9 69er, for the last year and half I have been riding a Gary Fisher Rig, and I had a Surly Karate Monkey for 3 years before that so I have some 29er ride time to draw from.

I discovered the Joys of the 69er at our recent demo days! I had in my mind that I wanted an 08 Paragon, but after a day of riding both 29er and 69er, the 69er won (at least for my needs)
    I found the 69er was more flickable in some tight corners that I normally felt awkward while aboard my 29ers. I was fortunate that the demo was a a trail I am very familiar with.
    Also I am going to use this bike a Race bike.

just so you know I am not off the 29er Band Wagon I do a lot of bombing down fire roads in the National Forrest by my house and nothing touches the stability of a 29er at high speed.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's what I needed. I'm going in today to change my order. I just need to get a new quote on upgrading the bike to XT cranks and shifters. Thanks guys. I'll let you know when I get it and give it a good thrashing.

Whatever
    FWIW, I have the Trek 69er singlespeed and it looks like there's plenty of room in the rear there, but I don't have a wheel to try. However, like said before, it handles like it's on rails, climbs very well, and is overall super fun to ride. It steers just like a 26" bike going slow and fast. That said, it is a quick handling bike, so putting a 29" on the back might make it too twitchy.
    just ride

Master of the Obvious
    That's what I needed. I'm going in today to change my order. I just need to get a new quote on upgrading the bike to XT cranks and shifters. Thanks guys. I'll let you know when I get it and give it a good thrashing.
    I left the cranks and Shifters alone, on mine I upgraded to Juicy 7's swapped out the bars and changed the saddle to a WTB Silverado....
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Self made GT ID5 69er here, bet it'll ride close to the Trek 69er in many ways, got to say not noticeably different acceleration from when it was a 26er, at first I struggled with rear wheel failing to get over stuff but not a issue recently, guess I've learnt how to ride it, really is the perfect all rounder setup for me, bags more confidence on rocky descents than the 26er with 150mm forks ( got 105mm Reba's here )

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Very old thread, but wanted to put this here in case someone does a search...

Just wanted to say, I easily fit 700cx35c wheels on my Trek 69er (front and rear). I put a 26er fork on it as well.

It rides okay. I use it as a commuter bike...

Members who have read this thread: 0