mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Trek 69er buyers beware

They have you thinking your getting a decent set of XT cranks, by all the pictures and what listed in the hard copy catalog. But when you get the bike it has some OEM Deore cranks of lesser quality than LX.

Mike
    Mike

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by WindWalker
    They have you thinking your getting a decent set of XT cranks, by all the pictures and what listed in the hard copy catalog. But when you get the bike it has some OEM Deore cranks of lesser quality than LX.

Mike
    The Trek website shows the 3x9 hardtail with XT but the full specs states Deore. Not unusual for the specs to change between the photo shoot (prototype/preproduction bikes) and the shipping of production models.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    it's true. they look like they have XT chainrings, and previous model XT arms, but they are more like the LX or deore. They should be XT's though, and I have seen and riden the bike with XT's. Trek also skimps on the X.7 shifters and Juicy 5 brakes, both nice, but don't match the bike. gotta reach that pricepoint somehow. great ride!
    FOR SALE: 2007 Epic Marathon, 2008 Reba SL 29 new

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Not unusual for the specs to change between the photo shoot (prototype/preproduction bikes) and the shipping of production models.
    I guess that be the case. Maybe not unusual, but it is the first time it has happened to me. In the hard copy catalog I got from the dealer it has XT listed. But heck who looks at paper catalogs anymore... No worries, although it does subtract some value from the bike, overall I still like it. Just wanted others to have a heads up.
    Mike

AKA Dr.Nob
    I looked at buying a 69er and came to the conclusion that it was one of the worst specced bike for the price there is. Cranks, brakes, fork, rear shock and running gear all too cheap IMO.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

pvd
    mtbr member
    if you were sold a bike with xt, it should have xt. if you took posession of the bike, whatever it has, then you agreed to the deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Aren't this years Deores just last years XT anyway?

Master of the Obvious
    You really have to admire the efforts some folks put into hating a certain brand....
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Deores = last years XT's? I have a set of 06 XT's I will check it out.

As far as purchase - I build my own bikes thus saving my LBS the time, so after the purchase I leave with a bike in a box. Mostly because I swap alot of parts right from the start - bars, brakes, saddle, 1X9, you get the idea, no need to have them build a bike I take apart to start over. So no way to know of any discrepancies.

Like I said I'm happy with the bike, actually the more I ride it the more I like it, but the fact still remains, it is marketed with XT and comes with less. I just think others that are considering the purchse should take into consideration the lower componentry. Would it have stopped me from buying the bike? Nope. Would I have like to have no surprises and XT's? Yep.

Also on that note - the new EX-7 comes with the same cranks and it specificly list them as Shimano M542. Since the XT are sometimes refered to Deore XT, the listing for the 69er is Deore with no other designation, so it seems this could be a grey area.

Mike
    Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Specialized does the same thing with it's FSRs. Or at least used to do so. I had the 2002 speccy spec'ed cranks that looked pretty no name, but the part numbers were for 2001 XTs. (back in the octalink days and visually LX/XT/Deore all looked pretty much the same but for color) I thought I'd read somewhere that 08 deore is basically a black anodized 07 xt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

cranks....

I just checked the two 69er's that are in our shop both have LX cranks. stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Epic Marathon, 2008 Reba SL 29 new

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The Deore and last years XT aren't the same. The Deore are not Hollowtech and weigh about 70grs more than the XT's. That's just the arms, not including the stock rings. But I use a Salsa ring so the quality of the rings is unimportant.

And now some have been speced with LX...
    Mike

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by WindWalker
    The Deore and last years XT aren't the same. The Deore are not Hollowtech and weigh about 70grs more than the XT's. That's just the arms, not including the stock rings. But I use a Salsa ring so the quality of the rings is unimportant.

And now some have been speced with LX...
    Every bike catalog I have seen has a "specifications subject to change without notice" disclaimer. Many times the "preferred" parts are not available on time and others are used rather than delay production/shipping. Completely normal.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0