Transform a Trail Bike to more City/Cross Country Friendly Bike.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Transform a Trail Bike to more City/Cross Country Friendly Bike.

Hi, I'm kinda new here so I will start with showing the bike I have.
    It's a Vitus Sentier VR 2019 27.5 (1x11) which I am really happy with. But I have already started to watch Full Suspension bikes. I'm thinking of buying one next Summer.

I ride trails and in forests for about 90% of my time, But now and than I just like to take the bike through the city and long bicycle roads from place to place. I know that the 27.5 with Magic Mary tires are not optimal for this but hey at the end of the day it's a bicycle, and I'm not targeting for the most effective ride, but rather I use what I got.

Now if I switch to a full Suspension I would use that bike for trail and forests only. I would also like to transform my bike that I have now for something more road/Cross Country friendly. As far as I know tires would be the thing to start with. What tires is recommended for asphalt/light offroad usage? And I guess its good to consider an shorter handlebar.

Like I mentioned, I'm not out to chase times and have the most effective bike for the purpose, bur rather use what I got and improve the things that can be improved with a little effort and money.

* Tires
    * Handlebar
    * Something more to think of?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transform a Trail Bike to more City/Cross Country Friendly Bike.-o6qq7ck.jpg  

mtbr member
    Tyres, that's it, nothing more you could really do to make that more road friendly. Or if you really are only going to be using it on road, then either buy some new 29" rims and re-lace the wheels or buy a second set of 29" wheels to run the slicks/semi slicks on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks for the reply!
    I was also wondering about new wheels. Is it possible to fit 29" Wheels on a 27.5" frame/fork? just by looking at it, it looks like there is a lot of room left. I would have to measure I guess.

mtbr member
    Well, given that a 23mm road wheel/tyre measures out to 2100mm, which is just a bit bigger than a 26x2.3" wheel/tyre, can't see any reason why you can't fit a nice 38mm 29er/700c wheel/tyre combo in there. The benefits of going to the 29er/700c wheel/tyre is that your gearing will not suffer, will in fact improve for faster road riding.

Just looked at your wheel spec and I would definitely recommend changing out the rims at least, while those ST i25s are sturdy for the trail, they are heavy and way overkill for the road.

The other thing you could look at is to get a smaller cassette that has more closely spaced gearing, like say a 11-34, but not sure you can find anything but road cassettes now in that range and not sure if Shimano road and mtn gearing is the same. Another problem you might get into going to such a smaller big cog compared to the regular 40/42 mtn 11spd is the cassette touching the spokes, as those big 40/42 cogs sit so far out that they're actually behind the normal place the big cog is in.

Quote Originally Posted by DasAuto View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    I was also wondering about new wheels. Is it possible to fit 29" Wheels on a 27.5" frame/fork? just by looking at it, it looks like there is a lot of room left. I would have to measure I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Hitching a ride
    2.35 Mezcal front and rear and you're done.

Bikesexual
    Hmm personally, I would sell the Vitus and fund a gravel/CX bike. They can be found used at great prices.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    You'll probably want to up your gearing if you plan to use it on roads/flatter terrain. With the gear ratios on MTBs, you'll be quickly under geared as you get more road miles on your legs. I'm not sure what/if road cassettes are available in 11 speed, but the front chainring you can easily increase the size. You may need a new chain to accommodate, however.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'd say it depends. I would buy that full suspension you want first and see if you still use the hardtail. If you don't use the hardtail much at all, I would sell it and buy a used gravel bike or more XC focused hardtail or rigid. If you still use the hardtail for mountain biking, I'd buy a second set of wheels and tires and then just swap wheelsets when you want to use it in town.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Tyres, that's it, nothing more you could really do to make that more road friendly. Or if you really are only going to be using it on road, then either buy some new 29" rims and re-lace the wheels or buy a second set of 29" wheels to run the slicks/semi slicks on.
    this. Semi-slicks for urban prowling
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thank you guys! Now I at least have some options in mind. For now I will ride this bike and see what is up for next season. Glad I found this forum, looks like there are much to read about.