mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Trail bike shopping time! Stumpjumper? Bronson? Something else?

Spring is coming and I've got the new bike itch. It's been a while since I've been in the market and I would appreciate some opinions!

About Me
    I've got a decent size quiver and generally don't have too much trouble pulling out something appropriate for most everything I ride. (Everything in sig, plus a '05 KHS DJ and a '14 Fuji Altamira CX 1.5). My average every day ride is pretty typical MTB stuff--15-20 miles, maybe 10-12mph pace, some aggressive terrain and quick handling, but also some cardio and some climbs. Often I find that my 26" Butcher (with the small wheels and a full AM buildout) is a bit cumbersome, and my Superlight29, with a full XC build-out, is a little bit too focused and not as fun to toss around. I don't want to pedal the Butcher 20 miles, but I don't want to miss out when a gnarly line pops up either.

The Motive
    So, I think I want to replace the Butcher with a 650b trail bike; something that pedals much better but doesn't give up too much capability, and is fun to toss around. Right now the SL29 is my go-to, and this new bike would replace it as a daily. Then I'd sell or part out the Butcher and leave the SL29 for race day business.

At any rate--here are the contenders! Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated.

Specialized Stumpjumper Expert 27.5
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/st...=239995-128850
    This is my top choice on paper; I think it sits in a unique place in the market where it has longish travel for how reasonably it pedals. I haven't ridden this one in particular, but that's my impression of the late-model Stumpjumper's I've ridden. Plus, I actually like the idea of a storage compartment in the frame. Carbon wheels are a plus too, though I rather doubt the roval quality would be near ENVE. Downside is that Specialized seems kind of pay-to-play these days.

Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon C / S Kit
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bronson
    I'm also a big fan of Santa Cruz, though I do miss the single pivots. This seems like a great option, and fwiw I think it has better aesthetics (green!), but at the same time I am concerned this bike would hit a little bit more AM than I'm aiming for--how would I feel about it on mile 19?

Other things I should consider? Kona process? Yeti SB6? Or maybe I'm shooting too high with 150mm and should give more thought to a 130mm?
    Little Bear: SC Superlight 29 | Goldilocks' Bear: Evil The Calling | Big Bear: SC Butcher

mtbr member
    Have you considered the 5010 Vs the Bronson? A bit lighter but still probably as much travel as needed.
    I went from a 5.7" to the Yeti SB5 and after getting used to it, find it has plenty of travel for me in Utah, including Moab and Hurricane. (It's like the 5010's evil - or not so evil - twin). Nice thing about the SB5 is it rides very well with a 160mm up front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Have you considered the 5010 Vs the Bronson? A bit lighter but still probably as much travel as needed.
    I went from a 5.7" to the Yeti SB5 and after getting used to it, find it has plenty of travel for me in Utah, including Moab and Hurricane. (It's like the 5010's evil - or not so evil - twin). Nice thing about the SB5 is it rides very well with a 160mm up front.
    Yep 5010 and SB5 are in the cards too definitely. That's good to hear that it's enough in Utah--I guess I don't have a great feel for how much the trade off would be. I also might do a few odd lift-access days with this bike, but if 130mm would pedal a lot better than 150mm I could always just rent on those days.
    Little Bear: SC Superlight 29 | Goldilocks' Bear: Evil The Calling | Big Bear: SC Butcher

mtbr member
    I think a 5010 could replace your butcher in terms of capability, and replace your butcher in terms of how well it pedals. Its just all over a much better, more capable bike.

It wouldnt be a tradeoff, it would just be better. You're in a good position when buying a new bike these days!

Id check out a giant trance too. Same deal, its just better all around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I think a 5010 could replace your butcher in terms of capability, and replace your butcher in terms of how well it pedals. Its just all over a much better, more capable bike.

It wouldnt be a tradeoff, it would just be better. You're in a good position when buying a new bike these days!

Id check out a giant trance too. Same deal, its just better all around.
    Well I'm already pretty excited for a new bike, but when I hear stuff like this, spring can't get here soon enough! Normally I'd say I could go down to PA; ironically they have more snow than us at the moment.

I forgot about the trance. That's definitely something I should check out.

edit: It looks like the Trance Advance 2 would fit nicely. I like the idea of 150 front/140 rear a lot; fwiw the chainstays are a touch longer (17.1") than the SJ (16.5") or the 5010 (16.77"), and about the same as the Bronson (17").
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-advanced-2

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You may check out the intense spider. 17 frames are on sell for $1200 right now. It's suposed to have a little more progressive suspension than the 5010 and pedal a little better. The 5010 is suposed to be a little better in the rough. Intense based their new slack xc bike off of the demand for the spider as an xc whip. Maybe keep the AM bike and use the spider for xc and trail days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There are so many good options out there! The 5010 is a good option, but personally I went with Ibis Mojo3 after I test rode it. Just so fun, DW-link is such a good pedaling platform but also eats up the chatter and big hits and you have options to run 2.3-2.8 tires. Giant Trance is great bike for the money and rode well also. But the biggest bang for the buck is the direct to consumer brands...and the Canyon Spectral on paper is hard to beat.

SC warranty is best in the industry...you know that...but have you need to use it, cuz you pay for it in the upfront price?

But no matter what I would get in demo rides on the trail before pulling the trigger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    Maybe keep the AM bike and use the spider for xc and trail days.
    That could be an option too. I told my gf I was planning on parting with the Butcher and she said "noo that thing is a beast!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    SC warranty is best in the industry...you know that...but have you need to use it, cuz you pay for it in the upfront price?

But no matter what I would get in demo rides on the trail before pulling the trigger.
    I actually did have to use it on the Butcher; the pivot pin on some frames was a weak point and under hard use I and a bunch of others managed to wear it down and cause some squeaking and compliance. On just my word they sent me a new one immediately as a stop gap and a revised part a few months later as a long term solution. Was quite pleased since AFAIK it wasn't really a structural issue.

And yeah I'll test ride as much as I can; unfortunately I'm probably not going to find too much locally that's in stock and will probably order based on the closest available stuff I can ride.

mtbr member
    As everybody has alluded to, you can't go wrong nowadays. Even though I can afford any bike brand, I decided enough was enough when bikes started hitting $8-10K. I'm lucky to have Intense within 30 miles of my house and just as long as I call ahead, I was able to demo whatever I want from them. I ended up getting what used to be a $10K MSRP bike for $5500. I have had 4-5 Santa Cruz bikes but I wasn't going to pay $8-9K for the new Nomad or Bronson when I had just as much fun on the Tracer.

My *new* advice to people is to look at YT, Intense and Canyon first. Hopefully they will push the entire industry to get realistic with their pricing. The 27.5 YT Jeffsy, Intense Spider or Recluse and Canyon Spectral could be great options for you. I had the Yeti SB5 with a 140 fork and think it's the best all around bike I ever owned. I sold the frame and moved over to the 5010 which is the bike I grab for days like you mention. I think it would slot in nicely with your quiver but so would any 140-150 bike nowadays. I think if you get a 150 bike with modern updates, that Butcher will never see the light of day again.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Santa Cruz pricing is pretty on par once you get over about $4k.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    As everybody has alluded to, you can't go wrong nowadays. Even though I can afford any bike brand, I decided enough was enough when bikes started hitting $8-10K. I'm lucky to have Intense within 30 miles of my house and just as long as I call ahead, I was able to demo whatever I want from them. I ended up getting what used to be a $10K MSRP bike for $5500. I have had 4-5 Santa Cruz bikes but I wasn't going to pay $8-9K for the new Nomad or Bronson when I had just as much fun on the Tracer.

My *new* advice to people is to look at YT, Intense and Canyon first. Hopefully they will push the entire industry to get realistic with their pricing. The 27.5 YT Jeffsy, Intense Spider or Recluse and Canyon Spectral could be great options for you. I had the Yeti SB5 with a 140 fork and think it's the best all around bike I ever owned. I sold the frame and moved over to the 5010 which is the bike I grab for days like you mention. I think it would slot in nicely with your quiver but so would any 140-150 bike nowadays. I think if you get a 150 bike with modern updates, that Butcher will never see the light of day again.
    Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. I don't mean to knock the online brands as I think they're fantastic and I too hope it helps throttle down pricing, but I'll probably stick with one the dealer-based brands; when I'm active in the local racing and trail-building scenes I interact with a lot of the employees and owners of the LBS's in the area and have generally been quite impressed with their contributions, particularly over the last 5 years or so. I think you're right about the Butcher, I'm really looking forward to getting a modern 650b.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220
    Santa Cruz pricing is pretty on par once you get over about $4k.
    I agree, but at the same time I feel that once you get above 2 or 3 the value starts to fly out the window and the numbers are more or less made up. It is what it is; I have a stressful job and the fun MTB gives me makes it worth it even if the sum of parts doesn't.

mtbr member
    I really like the look of the 140/150 bikes...

Norco Sight 27.5, Cannondale Trigger - both have had great reviews & look like great do it all machines.

Personally, if I wanted a little more under the hood - I'd up size out front i.e. hello 160 ^^

FWIW - my dream bike is a Pivot Mach 5.5 (w/ slightly narrower rubber, possibly,)

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_03 View Post
    ...but I'll probably stick with one the dealer-based brands; when I'm active in the local racing and trail-building scenes I interact with a lot of the employees and owners of the LBS's in the area and have generally been quite impressed with their contributions, particularly over the last 5 years or so.
    I agree that local shops do more than just move bikes at the lowest price.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

Dream it, Do it.
    Some reviews of 27.5" bikes:

Specialized Stumpjumper: I haven't written a review on the Stumpy but have ridden it on our local trails. It does what you would expect it to do, but I did not find it to be exceptional in any area compared to other bikes, esp from smaller brands.

Santa Cruz Bronson: I liked the Bronson a lot. Our review of the current v.2 Bronson is at: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...t-150mm-travel

Other choices for 27.5" bikes that climb and descend well are:

Alchemy Arktos: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...mm-rear-travel

Turner RFX: Climbs well by any measure despite having 160mm of travel. I've had two people say that the RFX climbs better than their Santa Cruz 5010: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...mm-rear-travel

Turner Flux: Faster handling than the longer-travel RFX: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...mm-rear-travel

DeVinci Django: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...-django-carbon

For a less expensive option, the Fuji Auric is worth a look:

Fuji Auric: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...mm-rear-travel

I know you are mainly looking at 27.5" bikes, but these 29ers have handling that is nimble enough to be worth a look:

Pivot Mach 429 Trail: Super fast both uphill and downhill! https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...mm-rear-travel

Yeti SB5.5: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...i-sb5-5-review
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    You can get a carbon intense spider with a pike for $2400 right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Some reviews of 27.5" bikes:

Sweet thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    You can get a carbon intense spider with a pike for $2400 right now.
    Wow...not bad!

mtbr member
    I agree, but at the same time I feel that once you get above 2 or 3 the value starts to fly out the window and the numbers are more or less made up.
    I get that they're expensive but you can't buy a decent FS below 2k to begin with.

Anyway, you've got some good recommendations to start with, the only other thing I'll add is you should check some 29er AM bikes too. Modern geo FS AM 29ers feel much different than the XC 29ers. I had wrote them off until some recent demos. I ended up with a Hightower LT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I get that they're expensive but you can't buy a decent FS below 2k to begin with.

Anyway, you've got some good recommendations to start with, the only other thing I'll add is you should check some 29er AM bikes too. Modern geo FS AM 29ers feel much different than the XC 29ers. I had wrote them off until some recent demos. I ended up with a Hightower LT.
    My father actually has an all-mountain 29er that I've enjoyed putting some miles on. I can't believe how well it does most everything. But I'm not a big guy at 5'8/160 and so anything with more than 120mm or so plus big wheels feels big to me. And yeah I definitely don't mean to whine about the prices, I suppose it was an offhand remark.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Merchant Review
    The Flux reminds me of my Kona hardtail that I rode back in those days with its eagerness to chase its tail on trails that wrapped around trees only with 120 mm of fully active suspension travel.
    Oh man I need to check out a flux. My favorite bike of all time was an '05 Kona Kula Primo XC HT. I only got to enjoy it for 6 months from new (thanks a lot chainstay killing rocks!) but threading that thing through twisty trails was like MTB nirvana. edit: 120mm is probably a little less than I'm looking for, but if I can get that feeling again then maybe I can deal lol.

mtbr member
    I have a Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg that I love to pieces. It seems to really fit your criteria extremely well.

Guerrilla Gravity | Shred Dogg | Info, Geometry, and Specs

Being made in CO is very cool too.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I have a Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg that I love to pieces. It seems to really fit your criteria extremely well.

Guerrilla Gravity | Shred Dogg | Info, Geometry, and Specs

Being made in CO is very cool too.
    It does seem to fit pretty well, and CO is definitely awesome. Being made in CA was one of the things I used to be able to like about SC lol.

mtbr member
    It does seem to fit pretty well, and CO is definitely awesome. Being made in CA was one of the things I used to be able to like about SC lol.
    If you're interested, Guerrilla Gravity has brand ambassadors around the country so that you could try one out.

They're a very rider-focused company and have awesome customer service.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

ZEN RIDER!
    Evil Calling
    Pivot 5.5
    Both climb well with the DW & Delta link. Both are fun and the Calling you can take to the bike park and it rails corners.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    Evil Calling

Both are fun and the Calling you can take to the bike park and it rails corners.
    I actually happened across The Calling last night. Gorgeous bike. The want-factor is high, but so is the price. Hmm...how much do I really need that 2-ply tp anyway?

By the way thank you very much everyone for the great suggestions. It kind feels like I'm at an ice cream stand picking out a flavor. I can't go wrong but I only get to pick one!

mtbr member
    Seems how everyone else is throwing suggestions out there I'll add the Knolly Endorphin to the list. 130mm rear with 150mm front is surprisingly capable (especially with a shock like a Cane Creek DBCoil IL) yet the bike is still fun, playful, and not "too much bike" for longer all-day type rides. I think with modern geometry, larger wheels, bigger/better tyres and bettwe quality suspension 130-140m rear is heaps for the average "trail" type rider in most situations, and there are loads of great options out there. Focus on finding a bike with the kind of fit and geometry you want and then go from there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Welp, just spoke with my favorite LBS and right now I'm leaning toward a custom build on an Evil The Calling. The single pivot, slack and low geo, and awesome teal/green got to me.

I know I want a 140mm Fox 34 up front; and will probably keep the budget somewhat realistic with a GX Eagle drivetrain. Any other components stand out to anyone for my use?

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Seems how everyone else is throwing suggestions out there I'll add the Knolly Endorphin to the list. 130mm rear with 150mm front is surprisingly capable (especially with a shock like a Cane Creek DBCoil IL) yet the bike is still fun, playful, and not "too much bike" for longer all-day type rides. I think with modern geometry, larger wheels, bigger/better tyres and bettwe quality suspension 130-140m rear is heaps for the average "trail" type rider in most situations, and there are loads of great options out there. Focus on finding a bike with the kind of fit and geometry you want and then go from there.
    I agree, from what I read I think 130-140 is a good range.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    With a burly fork up front, you can have a whole lot of fun with 140mm out back on some decent DH trails, and still have a bike that can be enjoyable on a long XC adventure. It'll come down more to your tyre selection than anything at that point.

I have a Norco Sight, 27.5 with 140mm out back and normally run my fork at 160mm. It's an aluminium model, no carbon parts, Zee brakes, wide rims + tyres, dropper - plenty tough/fun on DH stuff, yet I manage top 10% result on local > 50km XC races with it. Modern trail bikes are really capable of a lot - no it's not the fastest for either extreme (XC nor DH), but it sure is a hell of a lot of fun.

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    Ha! I just bought a Shred Dogg from Guerrilla Gravity! 150/135. But you can adjust it from 135 to 160 in the rear so when I have park days I can go bigger! It's alloy and a lb or so heavier than the first bikes you were looking at but I love the versatility.
    SR Suntour guru. envelo rep.

http://www.instagram.com/darkins44

mtbr member
    It sounds like 5010 or Tallboy would be more in your target zone than the Bronson, as noted by others.

I know you are coming from 26" so 29" seems like a big jump but some of the mid travel 29ers coming out are so dialed. You no longer lose that playfulness. See Yeti 5.5, Tallboy... Also love the look of the new Transition Smuggler. The 5.5 is ridiculous maneuverable and will eat up some impressive stuff. I actually think this travel geo type 29er will become more and more the standard trailbike for men. I am not a 29 crusader, just something to consider- I run an an older stumpy 29 built light as my long ride cc type bike, Nomad 4, and a transition dirt jumper 26" so definitely appreciate all wheel sizes for different things. Worth considering and riding one at least imo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone, MTBR rocks. So after more reading and thinking I'm going to pull the trigger on a The Calling frame today. Here's the spec I'm leaning toward for the build, I'd love to hear some comments on that if you all don't mind:

Frame: The Calling (M) in Angry Dolphin, MRP bash+integrated headset.
    Fork: Fox 34 140mm perf. (Kashima is cool but I like the all black colors)
    Kit: GX Eagle, Aeffect cranks
    Wheels: Crank Bros Iodine 2 (they're weird and that's cool)
    Cockpit: Aeffect, wide low rise and stem to fit
    Brakes: SRAM Guide RS
    Pedals: XT w/trail cage
    Saddle: Chromag mood DT
    Tires: ??

Quote Originally Posted by DriverB View Post
    It sounds like 5010 or Tallboy would be more in your target zone than the Bronson, as noted by others.

I know you are coming from 26" so 29" seems like a big jump but some of the mid travel 29ers coming out are so dialed. You no longer lose that playfulness. See Yeti 5.5, Tallboy... Also love the look of the new Transition Smuggler. The 5.5 is ridiculous maneuverable and will eat up some impressive stuff. I actually think this travel geo type 29er will become more and more the standard trailbike for men. I am not a 29 crusader, just something to consider- I run an an older stumpy 29 built light as my long ride cc type bike, Nomad 4, and a transition dirt jumper 26" so definitely appreciate all wheel sizes for different things. Worth considering and riding one at least imo
    No doubt, my Superlight is a 29er and I've got a pretty good amount of seat time on my father's 130mm stumpjumper 29er, I'm quite fond of the way wagon wheels roll but at 5'8 think I'll have more fun with a 27.5 for trail.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Fatty
    Ha! I just bought a Shred Dogg from Guerrilla Gravity! 150/135. But you can adjust it from 135 to 160 in the rear so when I have park days I can go bigger! It's alloy and a lb or so heavier than the first bikes you were looking at but I love the versatility.
    I think Shred Dogg is my #2 choice right now if the Evil doesn't pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by phreeky
    With a burly fork up front, you can have a whole lot of fun with 140mm out back on some decent DH trails, and still have a bike that can be enjoyable on a long XC adventure. It'll come down more to your tyre selection than anything at that point.
    Speaking of tire selection, that's the only thing I'm not sure on yet. Any thoughts on High Roller II F/Ardent R?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Oh, and since I'm going a little smaller travel I decided to keep the Butcher. Ms. ghost is fine with that so why not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Frame is here!

I unboxed it like Christmas morning:

Close up of the delta link, build quality is absolutely en pointe. The super deluxe; give it a coil and I'd think it was from a dirt bike. Thing is stout.

Even the box it came in was awesome.

I dropped it off at my LBS and they are going to build it up with the following:
    -X01 Eagle kit
    -Aeffect cockpit and cranks
    -Fox 34 140mm
    -Crank Bros Iodine 2 Wheels
    -Butcher 2.6 front/Purgatory 2.3 rear (2.6 if theres clearance)
    -MRP Bash
    -Matching Angry Dolphin Grips
    -Fox Transfer Post

I am seriously excited about this bike.

Members who have read this thread: 21