Titus SB 650b conversion- Mtbr.com
    Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006

Titus SB 650b conversion

Reading this forum has me convinced that I can resurrect my '03 Titus Switchblade by going 650b.
    I've looked for some way to utilize this fine bike for a while and this is like a gift.
    A committed 1X9 and SS 29er since 2008 I've kept this bike for more mountainous terrain that would be better served by a 26er so it's been in the basement fleet pretty much unridden ever since.
    My Dean and Turner 29ers are the goto bikes.
    Got adequate, but not great wheels.
    Good price on Velocity Blunts from sixfifty.com on ebay.
    Now getting tires but not sure how wide a 650 I can use.
    The Kenda Nev 2.3 is coming as I'm pretty sure it will fit my Fox FX100 in front.
    Wish I could confirm the 2.3 on the rear so I wouldn't have another two weeks to wait for the rear.
    Can I use dimensions for the Nev 2.3 to assure fit or should I just order the 2.1?
    Where would I find those dimensions? how measure? would those dimensions be consistent?
    Appreciate any help.
    2015 Turner Sultan
    2012 Moots MootoXZ
    2008 Turner Sultan
    2007 Dean Colonel 29r
    2003 Titus Switchblade

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Your Fox fork will fit any 650b tire. Just make sure to let all the air out of the fork and check for rub on full compression. You may need to install a travel limiting shim if you get significant rub. As far as the frame, unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to test fit the tires you want. Even if a tire fits without rubbing the chainstays or seatstays, it may rub the seat tube or derailleur hanger on full compression. Another problem is that it is difficult just to measure the frame and determine if the side knobs will clear. Especially because tire tolerances can vary a lot.

But if I had to guess, I would assume the 2.3 Nev would not fit. The 2.3 is a MASSIVE tire and there are very few 26" frames that would fit it. The 2.3 Neo Moto is a shorter tire and is much more likely to fit. I personally think the Neo is much better than the Nev anyways, the Nev makes it feel like you are riding in a bowl of oatmeal. The Neo is much faster rolling.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006
    Thanks, ljsmith
    I am afraid you may be right.
    Bikes of that vantage have some narrow width limits too, IIRC.
    To be safe I could wait for the 2.3 to arrive and verify, but eliminating the Nev 2.3 would let me get the rear ordered.
    Are you thinking the 2.1 might not fit either?
    What are you running on your Epic?
    Friend with earlier model may be interested.
    2015 Turner Sultan
    2012 Moots MootoXZ
    2008 Turner Sultan
    2007 Dean Colonel 29r
    2003 Titus Switchblade

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    On the rear of my Epic I run either a Racing Ralph or a Quasi Moto, but it is strictly a XC bike. On the front I run either a Wolverine or a Racing Ralph. I have used both Nevegals and Neo Motos, but both are more tire than I need for the trails I ride and just slow me down.

But the reason I say you really need to test fit is because I originally had a 2004 Epic. According to everything I read on this site it was supposed to fit 650b with no issues. So I tried it and the 650b did fit, but it would rub on the seat tube at full compression. That is why I got a 2010 Epic because it has so much room for 650b with no rubbing ever.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

650B Switchblade confirmed

I have a 2004 Titus Switchblade that I have been riding 650B front and rear for the last year and a half. The rear will not fit a 2.3 Neo. or Nev. but a 2.1 Neo. fits. Clearance for mud isn't great but in every other way, I love my Blade as a 650Ber.

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006
    Thanks SJ,
    Got 2.1 Nev for the rear and 2.35 for the front on the way. I was afraid the 2.35 wouldn't run on the rear. I'm not sure of the year model of my SB, but it was the last year of the 27.2 seatpost.
    It was a sweet bike in its time and I'm hoping the 650's give it a second life.
    Titus was a great company from '98 to '06 when I dealt with them.
    2015 Turner Sultan
    2012 Moots MootoXZ
    2008 Turner Sultan
    2007 Dean Colonel 29r
    2003 Titus Switchblade

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I find my neo-moto's roll as fast as 29. Nevs...meh

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had a 2002 SB for 3 years. It did everything so well. I thought I wanted to go a different direction in my mtn biking so I sold it. What a mistake. One day I came across a beautiful 2005 and bought it. Since switching to a 29er hardtail I have not ridden my SB. After reading this I will start the 650b conversion. I knew I was not going to sell this bike and now I am very excited to get it rolling again! Thank you for this thread. If you all could post some pics of the rear tire clearance I would appreipciate it.

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006

'05 sb

Quote Originally Posted by 2BARPH View Post
    I had a 2002 SB for 3 years. It did everything so well. I thought I wanted to go a different direction in my mtn biking so I sold it. What a mistake. One day I came across a beautiful 2005 and bought it. Since switching to a 29er hardtail I have not ridden my SB. After reading this I will start the 650b conversion. I knew I was not going to sell this bike and now I am very excited to get it rolling again! Thank you for this thread. If you all could post some pics of the rear tire clearance I would appreipciate it.
    The SB changed somewhat in '05 and the only way to be sure of a 650 fit is trying the actual tire and wheel.
    I'm 90+% sure the right tire will work for you.
    I used a 2.1 Kenda Nevagal but a picture in the compatible sticky thread shows a 2.3 on an '02 model. Do a search in that thread to see the picture but still until you or someone tries the conversion on your year model there is some doubt.
    IMO it's a return worth the gamble because the wheels put my SB back in rotation as a ride.
    It is much better as a 650.
    2015 Turner Sultan
    2012 Moots MootoXZ
    2008 Turner Sultan
    2007 Dean Colonel 29r
    2003 Titus Switchblade

mtbr member
    Some of the older Switchblades came with Quasi-Moto rear ends. I believe those are the rear ends that will work to clear 650b hoops. So make sure to find out if that's the rear end any particular Switchblade may have on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've been trying to sell my SB. Without success but now I'm thinking of conversion.
    Seven Sola fully rigid MTN SS
    #1⚙️All year
    Seven Evergreen gravel grinder
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Supplejoe View Post
    I have a 2004 Titus Switchblade that I have been riding 650B front and rear for the last year and a half. The rear will not fit a 2.3 Neo. or Nev. but a 2.1 Neo. fits. Clearance for mud isn't great but in every other way, I love my Blade as a 650Ber.
    Hey supplejoe, what chainstay do you have on your SB? The wider Quasi one
    or the narrower one?
    What fork are you running and what BB height does the SB have now?

This thread has got me bringing the "old" 04 SB out to play again!
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO Pushed Version!
    2015 Ibis HD3 w/ Push ASC3
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Resurect Switchblade

Sorry for the slow reply - allot going on.
    I have the standard SB chainstay and not the heavy duty Quasi-Moto one.(Even on my Quasi-Moto)
    I stick with 2.1 Neo-motos on Stan's Flows because there just isn't allot of room for a larger volume (re:taller) tire on the rear.
    I'm using a X-Fusion Velvet and a Fox Vanilla with 2.3 Neo-Motos on the fronts.
    I really can't give you an accurate BB height because I live in PA where rocks eat pedals so I reversed my linkage to raise my BB. I would tell you that others have stated that adding 1/2" to the BB height should be pretty accurate.
    I hope this helped.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Supplejoe View Post
    Sorry for the slow reply - allot going on.
    I have the standard SB chainstay and not the heavy duty Quasi-Moto one.(Even on my Quasi-Moto)
    I stick with 2.1 Neo-motos on Stan's Flows because there just isn't allot of room for a larger volume (re:taller) tire on the rear.
    I'm using a X-Fusion Velvet and a Fox Vanilla with 2.3 Neo-Motos on the fronts.
    I really can't give you an accurate BB height because I live in PA where rocks eat pedals so I reversed my linkage to raise my BB. I would tell you that others have stated that adding 1/2" to the BB height should be pretty accurate.
    I hope this helped.
    That's for the info. I went ahead and got a Maxxis Ardent 2.2 up front and a Maxxis
    CrossMark 2.1 in the rear with the Quasi rear stay. Maybe 5mm clearance in back and a 14.5 in BB on
    my 2004 Talus SB. Having trouble getting the shock to lock in the lower setting
    so I don't know if I can get the BB a little lower but it should be ridable as is.
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO Pushed Version!
    2015 Ibis HD3 w/ Push ASC3
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Another Successful Titus Switchblade 650b Conversion

I did it too! My 2008 Titus Switchblade was sweet as a 26er but it's even better as 27.5er. I was able to do the change without a weight increase due to extremely light 30mm wide Velocity Blunt SS rims....highly recommended BTW. My SB is now better in every category, handling has mellowed in a good way, less twitchy yet still responsive. The 26" "harshness" is gone! I've got a nice ride for a few more years....650b conversion is highly recommended for a Switchblade. Oh, took the opportunity to change gearing which also made a big difference. Went with 24,32,42 up front and 11 - 36 in back. BTW, Shimano's Shadow Plus technology is awesome, eliminated chain slap completely, the bike is silent, just a whisper from the jockey pulleys....way cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titus SB 650b conversion-tsb_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You are exactly right. Converting the Blade to 650b does make it better in every category.
    Imagine buying a new 650b bike with the build quality of your Switchblade! $$$$$$

Members who have read this thread: 1