Tire height information- Mtbr.com
    KMT
    mtbr member
    Feb 2020

New question here. Tire height information

Hi,
    I need a set of tires that will reduce my total outside diameter (with the tire mounted) by about 6-8 mm. I am running into some clearance issues on a parts bin build. I'm not concerned with the width, I have clearance for about 55mm, but I can't seem to find any way to compare the distance between the top edge of the rim and the center tread.
    (Is tire height the correct term?)

The bike will be ridden mostly on dirt and gravel roads, so tread does not need to be too aggressive, and it has a Headshok, so super cushy, high volume tires are not necessary.
    First post , so please excuse any inadvertent newbie mistakes.
    Thanks,
    T

mtbr member
    The outside diameter difference between my 29x2.35 Nobby Nic and my 29x2.6 DHF is .17" or 4.3mm. The actual tire width difference is close to .12" or 3mm.

I doubt you can determine an exact relationship going down from that - I don't know how wide the tires are that currently don't work - but maybe this will provide some insight. It looks like the width reduction roughly corresponds to the height reduction, but rim width and tire brand may come into play as well.

mtbr member
    A wider rim would flatten out the tire and a narrow rim would make the tire taller.
    EXODUX Jeff

KMT
    mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Thanks for the replies. The wheels that I have are 19mm inner width. I know some of the slick or city tires have a smaller profile/overall diameter, but I was hoping to find something with at least a bit of tread on it, that would not stand quite as tall as the Continental Raceking 2.2s. Ideally something 45-50 mm wide with a lower volume, any ideas?

mtbr member
    What bike are you putting these on? Did you take a 26er and try to turn it into a 27.5? Are the Racekings too tall but the width is okay? Are these for the front and back or is the problem only on the frame in the back?

I'm thinking Racekings aren't much more than 2.1's in reality. The ETRTO is listed at 55 which is 2.16" but that might be an overestimation.

I can't think of anything smaller than a width of about 52 (ETRTO) which is 2.0" in a Maxxis Aspen or Crossmark. They normally run small, so one may work.

It's always good to include ALL info when you post so that people don't have to come back and ask questions.

mtbr member
    650B/27.5 is popular for wider gravel bike tires currently. I just looked through the selection on one site and found this 47mm WTB tire with a fairly aggressive tread (lots of less aggressive treaded patters too). Pretty sure WTB would be able to give you a inflated height measurement if you contact them. Posting in the gravel bike section might also net you information on other available tires that would meet you requirements.
    Mole

Tire height information-wtb-sendaro-47mm.jpg

KMT
    mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Yes, 26er to 27.5. Old Cannondale CAAD4. Swapping out front and back. Width on the Racekings is ok but they are just a bit too tall.

Was thinking of Panaracer Gravelkings or something along those lines, but was hoping to find some info on tire height before purchasing something that might not work. (Already had the wheels and Racekings)

I will look at the Maxxis and see if I can find some info on them.

I thought you used to be able to find design height published by tire mfgs, maybe it was just for road tires because of the short reach vs long reach brake thing.

KMT
    mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    That looks like it might work. I had not posted in the gravel section because it seemed like high-volume wider tires are pretty much it nowadays. Squishing a big wide tire into onto a 19mm (inside) rim is just going to force all that casing up and increase the overall diameter. I figure about 50 mm wide is probably the largest I can go, so the tire you suggested seems promising,
    Thanks,
    T

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Yes, 26er to 27.5. Old Cannondale CAAD4.
    I would go back to 26, or if it'll take it 27.5 up front and 26 in back. Putting 27.5's on a 26 only to be forced to compromise on tires is counter productive.

But if you are just using it as a gravel bike and little tires work for you, then go for it.

mtbr member
    https://www.wheelandsprocket.com/pro...b-378080-1.htm

I ran the 29" version which came in a 1.8" width several times for frames that had tighter clearance. Might be a decent option, plus without the aggressive tread pattern could give you a smidge more room.
    Silly bike things happening.

KMT
    mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Thanks!

KMT
    mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Went with WTB Ventures (650x47). The folks at WTB were very helpful. Seems like they have some sort of calculator or chart, as they could plug in various rim inner widths and give me expected diameter for the mounted tire. The expected was a little under ( about a centimeter), so the frame clearance is more that what I wanted. I have it bracketed now, so when it is time to replace these, I will go about 1.5 to 2 cm larger on the diameter. Thanks for the help!
    Tire height information-img_0721.jpg
    Tire height information-img_0777.jpg
    Tire height information-img_0779.jpg