mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Tiny 27.5 bike for very short female rider?

I am an 4' 11.5" woman with short legs. I currently ride a 2013 Specialized Myka FSR, which has 26" wheels and also a standover height of 26", which is basically the maximum I could handle. Unfortunately they discontinued that bike the next year. As far as I can tell no one makes 26" full suspension bikes anymore.

Does anyone know of a full-suspension bike with similar standover height, probably a 27.5"? Maybe you have a short wife or girlfriend you had to find a bike for?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Wife is 5'. we bought her a xs Rocky Mountain thunderbolt which she loves. One thing your going to have to deal with is that your not going to have stand over clearance anymore.

mtbr member
    Kona Process 134 SE XS.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Not sure what your budget is, but Ive had really good success selling XS Juliana and Yeti Beti bikes to shorter ladies. The Beti has a standover height of 26.3 inches and the Juliana (Furtado) has a standover of 26.9. Worth a look!

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    My wife is 5ft even. She fits on a Yeti Beti (New Geometry). Liv Pique and the Pivot Mach 4. All of these have a short standover that she is comfortable on. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    Wife is 5'. we bought her a xs Rocky Mountain thunderbolt which she loves. One thing your going to have to deal with is that your not going to have stand over clearance anymore.
    Unfortunately I don't have any standover clearance on my current bike. Any more than 26" standover and I'll be sitting on the bar.

mtbr member
    Modern geometry bikes tend to be lower with more standover, despite the very marginally taller wheels (the frame slopes lower around the wheels). So you're good there, any XS bike should do.

But also, how often are you really standing over your bike? It is a major hangup for a lot of people, but its very easily the least important fit measurement. Try some XS bikes, but dont standover them, just give them a ride.

An XS liv pique has 26.0" of standover. The whole liv lineup are awesome bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The Pivot Mach 4 boasts the lowest standover of any full suspension bike on the market. I don't know if that's true, but their XS is pretty small, and all of their bikes are available in extra small.

I feel your pain. As a 5'5" tall man, I fit on a size small bike, but many of my lady friends who want to ride with me have a really hard time finding bikes.

Fortunately, because of the prevalence of dropper posts and people wanting to maximize the amount of drop they can use, top tubes are getting lower and standover is getting better for us.

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    I'm 5' 3" with a very low standover clearance. I think my inseam is 28". The only bikes I've been able to really stand over is the Specialized Helga, which they don't make any more, and another Specialized bike (Ruze?). I have pretty much just accepted the fact that I will not have good standover clearance. Then again, we are either pedaling or standing around waiting for the rest of the group to get going... so how much "standing over" are we actually doing, you know? As long as you're comfortable actually pedaling, THAT's the important thing.

It sounds like ladywrench has some good suggestions for you.
    17 Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5
    15 Framed Minnesota 3.0XWT

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    My wife is 4' 11", a 14' Small Cannondale Trigger is a perfect fit for her.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by gryeti View Post
    My wife is 5ft even. She fits on a Yeti Beti (New Geometry). Liv Pique and the Pivot Mach 4. All of these have a short standover that she is comfortable on. Hope this helps!
    These all look great, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHead View Post
    I'm 5' 3" with a very low standover clearance. I think my inseam is 28". The only bikes I've been able to really stand over is the Specialized Helga, which they don't make any more, and another Specialized bike (Ruze?). I have pretty much just accepted the fact that I will not have good standover clearance. Then again, we are either pedaling or standing around waiting for the rest of the group to get going... so how much "standing over" are we actually doing, you know? As long as you're comfortable actually pedaling, THAT's the important thing.

It sounds like ladywrench has some good suggestions for you.
    I have a 26" inseam (buying jeans is terrible), but it looks like the Liv Pique and the Yeti Beti both have about a 26" standover. There is hope for the shorties!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Modern geometry bikes tend to be lower with more standover, despite the very marginally taller wheels (the frame slopes lower around the wheels). So you're good there, any XS bike should do.

But also, how often are you really standing over your bike? It is a major hangup for a lot of people, but its very easily the least important fit measurement. Try some XS bikes, but dont standover them, just give them a ride.

An XS liv pique has 26.0" of standover. The whole liv lineup are awesome bikes.
    It's been a while since my 5' 2" wife bought her bike (6 years?) but, at the time, no 29" wheeled bike she tried was small enough. Maybe geometry has changed since then though.

She ended up with an extra small Trek Lush SL (was on a XS Kona Kahuna Deelux before that) she's now looking at a XS Juliana Furtado.

Anyone who's ever had an emergency dismount onto uneven ground would probably think stand over is an important consideration.

I don't have stand over problems but I do ride a 2018 Pivot Mach 4 and love it.

mtbr member
    I bet most of us have had emergency dismounts. Honestly, Ive never emergency dismounted my bike into 2 flat feet straddling the top tube. Any of us with big forks only have a small amount of standover at best, until the tube slopes and we're hitting our junk anyway. Its just not much of a concern.

But still, everything slopes like crazy now. Im glad old school frames are gone. XS and XXS frames are available and you can get a suitable full size bike down to about 4'8ish.

mtbr member
    The amount of suspension travel can also have an affect on top tube clearance. The more travel...the higher the bike will be. The Myka FSR has 100mm of front/rear travel on 26in wheels. The XS Pivot Mach 4 with the 100mm fork comes pretty close to the 26in standover you're looking for. If you're looking at more travel than that...it may be difficult to find the standover you're looking for. I think Ibis also has an XS size frame.

Is the 100mm travel on the Myka enough? What type of terrain do you ride?

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    The amount of suspension travel can also have an affect on top tube clearance. The more travel...the higher the bike will be. The Myka FSR has 100mm of front/rear travel on 26in wheels. The XS Pivot Mach 4 with the 100mm fork comes pretty close to the 26in standover you're looking for. If you're looking at more travel than that...it may be difficult to find the standover you're looking for. I think Ibis also has an XS size frame.

Is the 100mm travel on the Myka enough? What type of terrain do you ride?
    The Liv Pique is 130 Front 120 Rear at 26" standover. Yeti Beti (SB5) is 150 front 125 rear at 26.3"standover. My wife deals with this battle every time she buys a bike. These two bikes have given her more options for longer travel.

I totally agree that it depends on the terrain but these options should help with finding whatever bike she needs without having to buy a bike that is too large. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out the Kona Hei Hei Trail in XS. Norco makes the Optic and Sight in XS, as previously mentioned Rocky Mountain, Pivot, Liv, Yeti.

Often another problem is stack is too high making it difficult to get the bars low enough. Syntace flat force stems, and their upside down handlebars can help with this.

I am 5'4" but with long legs/short torso and am on an 2017 XS Kona Hei Hei Trail. One common issue for small frames is fitting a water bottle. One trick that worked for me was a problem solvers bottle boss relocation kit that allowed me to move the bottle down in order to fit it in.

mtbr member
    I'm curious how many people think that there's any sort of percentage of people <5' that aren't <14 years old? So, if you're that short, sometimes you have to accept that you need to look at kids stuff if you want stuff to fit

A quick look at kids bikes reveals a whole lot of bikes available with that sort of standover, they are tuned for light weight people and have shorter cranks, all for a better fit that short people need, you just need to be accepting facts and looking at kids bikes is all.

Here's 2 below from 2 of the big brands with <26" standover. You're welcome.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-jr-26
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I believe a size XS or XXS 27.5 bike will do. A lot of great bike to choose from out there, just a matter of preference. Or try searching from the women specific bike brands. I'm sure you can find a bike you'll like.

Happy hunting!

Jed Peters
    Wife has an XS Yeti that is perfect. She's 5'1".

Also REALLY like the Pivot Mach 4 Carbon in XS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man View Post
    Wife has an XS Yeti that is perfect. She's 5'1".

Also REALLY like the Pivot Mach 4 Carbon in XS.
    My wife is 5'4" with a small Pivot Mach 4. An XS would likely be a good fit for you. Great bike.
    Trek Stache 7
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Bronson

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yeti Beti is on sale at Jenson now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    My spouse is 4'11" and she recently got a Liv Bliss 2 but I can't remember if she got the small or extra small. We went to our local bike shop and she tried out several bikes. This is the one she settled on and she even likes the colors. I know hers is a 2018 model.

https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/bliss-2

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here's another vote for Juliana.

https://www.julianabicycles.com/en-US/furtado

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    You can also look at the Guerrilla Gravity shreddog (135/145 rear travel), or megatrail (150/165 rear travel) they have a xs that will fit 4'-11" to 5'-3". In the xs these bikes both have a 26.5" stand over.

mtbr member
    Yeti Beti SB5!!! You can get a great deal on a used one on Pinkbike if they have the size you need.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just had a chance to demo the Juliana Furtado for an afternoon and it rode like a dream. It descends great, tracked well in corners, climbed better than it looks/weighs. Even better with a quick handlebar trim. My current MTB riding includes 8 miles roundtrip to the trailhead, otherwise I'd be seriously considering a purchase. I'm 5'2" with 27" inseam, and had lots of room to spare, so could be workable for someone 5'0.

If you're anywhere near Woodside Bike Shop in CA, they have an XS for demo as of last week. Had to give 'em a shout out -- it's so rare to have XS high end bikes for demo, and the owner was friendly too.

Another option for very short adults is Spawn Cycles who make some of the best youth MTBs around. I've messed around on my nephew's and they're very nice geometries and builds.

mtbr member
    My gf is about 410 and shes ridden most xs liv bikes and fits great on those. I just got her a trek Cali ht in a size 13.5 but she Demod an xs trek fuel ex 5 and liked that bike but its a 27.5+ bike. The yeti is a nice option if you can spend that much. Giant has a trance jr with a decent spec for just under 2k that is a 26 120mm fs bike