Thoughts on my Upgrade of 2016 GT Verb Sport- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Thoughts on my Upgrade of 2016 GT Verb Sport

Iím new to MTB but use to be a hardcore BMXr back in the 80s when I lived in Southern California. I love GT bicycles and have been a fan all my life. Iím hooked on MTB now just like I was hooked to BMX back in the day. I bought a GT Verb Sport from Dickís during a one day sale and I think I got a great deal, however after watch countless hours of GMBN I may have made a mistake. I love the fame on this bike and have been slowly upgrading it. So far Iíve upgraded the pedals to crank brothers stamp 1, changed the 70mm stem to a 40mm with 20mm rise Truvativ Hussefelt stem, also got a 700mm Truvativ Hussefelt comp handlebar to match with Deity lockon grips, I put TBR EXO Maxterra 2.5 DHF Maxxis in the front and TBR EXO Maxterra 2.3 Aggressor in the back installed on stocked 584X20 6061 ASD10 Alexrims wheels. My latest upgrade this Friday was switching out the stocked Kind coil shock to a Rock Shox Monarch RL 165X38. I donít have a lot disposable cash so I thought upgrading little by little this would be a great way to turn an okay bike into something nice. All my rides have been enjoyable since day one, I think my BMX experience is the reason Iím able to ride difficult and technical trails and have fun. So with that said sometimes I see videos, pictures and other riderís bikes and I start to question weather or not I should have a 5K bike or continue on my journey? Thanks for listening.

mtbr member
    Ride what you have. It's obvious that there are things you could do to the bike to make it better, but those things cost. If I were in your shoes, I'd make a few key upgrades, and just ride it. And keep an eye out on local swap & shop groups. There are almost always opportunities to get good parts on the cheap.

Shimano QR skewer for the back wheel. Biggest problem I had on a cheap full suspension was this wondering back end feel from a cheap quick release. A thru-axle would solve it, but wouldn't work with my frame. The shimano QR skewer uses a cam that applies a lot more force. DT swiss also makes a ratcheting QR axle that's good, but costs more. Either are worth it though. If you ever have a wondering feeling on the bike, this is what I'd do first.

Fork: A good airfork will make one of the biggest differences on that bike. I never thought I'd care that much till I upgraded my fork. Night and day. Much more important than the rear shock. Air cartridge, rebound, larger diameter stanchions, light weight. They all combine for a well controlled front end. I also never thought a through axle would make as much of a difference either, but once again, huge surprise. Id look at something like the following and get a new front hub/front wheel that can take a 15mm thru-axle. Either that, or something like the rockshox recon silver QR if you don't want to get a new front hub. I still run a recon silver after 6 years. Same one too with multiple re-builds. The steel stanchions are invincible and solid.
    https://www.bikewagon.com/part/forks...-cd-milo-white

Brakes: Get some 180mm rotors off amazon, a rear 180mm bracket, and 20mm post mount extension bolt/spacers. Shimano also makes a mechanical brake that uses the larger brake pad size of their hydraulic brakes and similar to AVID BB7. It's a good upgrade over the tektro novela brakes. The stock levers will work with the shimano brakes too. Hydraulic shimano brakes would be better, but cost more.

Wheels: Obviously everybody wants wider and lighter and stronger and cheaper. Can't get everything you want, but wider is always nicer. Unfortunately, since you went 2.5" out front, you've greatly exceeded the 21mm internal width of your stock rims unless you have high pressure. It's added weight without the benefit. For a 2.5" tire, I'd look at a 30mm internal rim width. Either that, or go back to super light 2.1" tires.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Iím confused about the tire as it rides ten times better than the 2.1 tires. The gear techs at Jenson USA said they would work just fine. Iím not riding Whistler or anything crazy like that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    BMB, your good. If your liking the bike, it's good. Keeping riding it and when something breaks, upgrade that part. Someday you'll want a better bike, but you'll know when that is by just riding your bike a bunch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Seems like a nice bike. Iíd just continue to ride it in its current state then as you progress then maybe think about a newer bike. Iím sure what you have is plenty capable