Thinking of modding with a 650 b or 69er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Thinking of modding with a 650 b or 69er?

I am building a bike and just want one do it all bike, I took a trek 4300 22.5 incher and have modded it with MTX 29s and 8 inch brake rotors and run heavy duty 29er tubes + I am thinking of adding 200mm cranks.

I am trying to build a bike for 75% road that I can jump and trail with 25% of the time.A bike for going from A to B as fast as possible that will take shortcuts and jump if need be. I am a big guy so every thing I buy is heavy duty but my bike is getting way to heavy and with a 29 rear wheel with a heavy duty rim and tubes I am noticing slow acceleration along with clutsy handling compared to the original 26 wheels that came stock on the bike. My main priority is speed on straights but with the added wheel weight I have added I may be shooting my self in the foot? as I like to be able to jump and run over things as well with out destroying the rims.

I am wondering how much straight line speed I would lose if I went to a 650 or back to a 26 on the road with a lighter rear wheel setup and kept the 29 in front. How fast are the 650 b compared to a 29 in the rear. The 29 is slower acceleration and heavier but what about at speed can a 650 or 26 keep up woth a 29 on the road?

Any help would be great, thankyou for replies.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What speeds @ road are you talking about?
    25kph? 30kph? 40kph?

I just did some testing with 700C front wheel and different tires - 300g extra weight combined with a little more grippy tire is making me slower for like 2-4 kph.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I like to average 20 to 25 MPH on the road sometimes faster.how much would going back to V brakes help for speed if I ditch the 8 inch rotors? thanks for replying

I can run run light tires but the tubes I run weigh a ton, can I go tubeless? and get it to work ? normal tubes will blow out at will because I run them with lots of air pressure for speed then I hit a curb or jump and they go flat,I am solving my problems one at a time but the biggest problem is I am building a bike that weighs as much as my CR 500 so I might as well just shoe horn my 500cc 2 smoker into my Trek 4300 and be done with it I run a Bontanger XR1 1.9 in rear and a 42 CM roadie on front but use heavy duty MTX 33 rims because I like to jump curbs at high speeds and jump stair cases. I love high speed short cuts through whatever or over whatever, real fun riding in my book.

mtbr member
    I know this is old but what year is your Trek? I have a 2010 I want to mod into a 650B rigid and was wondering if the rear tire would fit on a Large? Seems like you had no problems! lol..
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It'll fit. I put 700x35c on the rear of my Trek 69er and it fit just fine.