Is there a reason- Mtbr.com
    Heavylegs
    Apr 2012

Is there a reason

Sorry for the title had to get your attention. Is there a reason that most conversons are done using 26" bikes? I love my 26" and have no desire to go clown, but have heard alot of good about the 27.5" size. My question is I have been looking at a Salsa Spearfish, but it's clown sized. Can I step the wheel size down to a 650 without any issues with geometry or ridability?

banned
    Feb 2012
    A few points from the top of my head: 650b wheel is closer in size to 26" wheel than 29" wheel (intentionally to make conversions possible for more existing 26" bikes) so a 26" frame is a more natural fit. BB height - it is usually easier to tolerate a little higher BB than low BB. Short chainstays of 26" frames = better handling than 29" frames. Weight - 26" frames are lighter. 26" frames have usually slacker HT angle, 29ers are usually a little too steep for good trail/AM bikes. FS 29ers have typically up to 4" travel, the sweet spot of 650b is trail/AM bikes with 140-160mm.

mtbr member
    Always a reason for why people do things.
    No reason why you couldn't do with the Spearfish what you considering - Spearfish is a great bike.
    Usually compromises with bikes and their design/purpose - BB height, chainstay length, headtube angle, AC length, suspension travel, standover height and size etc.
    Where the bike is going to be ridden and how. (eg XC or AM)
    Some 29ers may be slightly better for conversion due to their dimensions/geometry.
    I have just swapped to 650b wheels on my 29er Spark (due to Scott or other manufacturers unlikely release of short travel FS XC 650b for 2013) - want to ride now, not next year.
    My Spark rides just as good if not better with 650b IMO.
    Should get these benefits regardless - lighter, stronger wheels, better acceleration, less gyro effect, not looking like a clownbike, fits in storage better, and usually better climbing and handling etc IMO.
    Other benefit of converting 29er - you can pick the biggest 650b tyre and you know its going to fit and its easy to swap straight back to 29er wheels if you change your mind or riding purpose or style.
    Last edited by LukeSPOOK; 08-23-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    Thanks guys for the quick replie. I have shorter legs a 170ish instead of 175's I'm running now should work if the BB height is not far off. I will have to check the specs

bonked
    If you already have the Salsa frame then feel free to play around with it, but if you don't and you really think 650b is something you might take seriously, then don't waste your money going out and buying a 29er just to try 650b on it. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, see if you can track down a first version of a Soma B-side in your size. That way you're trying a bike made for 650b without spending a ton of money. Or come up to Peninsula for the Big Valley Race next weekend and you can try my wife's b-side

BB height is going to drop quite a bit putting 650b on a Spearfish. And the stays are nearly 18". The stays on my Carver killer-B are almost 3/4" shorter than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'd definitely check on the BB height. I love my Spearfish, but it has a pretty low BB. I run my fork at 120mm(spec'd for 100mm) and have a BB height of 13 1/8" with 2.25" Ardents(unsagged). I like the handling of the low BB, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to go any lower with the amount of rocks were I ride. For buff trails it would be great, but then there wouldn't be much point in going with larger wheels.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52 View Post
    BB height is going to drop quite a bit putting 650b on a Spearfish. And the stays are nearly 18". The stays on my Carver killer-B are almost 3/4" shorter than that.
    The stays on my converted Nickel at 16.7". It cannot get much better than that (and it will get worse with dedicated 650b frames). As long as you can live with some of the limitations of 26" conversions like a limited rear tire size, they are sweet and sometimes of real nice benefits, depending on what you want.

mtbr member
    Spearfish does have a lowish BB (about 12.25" as far as I know), so factor that in depending on what riding you intend to do.

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    IF52 if you mean the race at Camp Manatoc in Cleveland I will be there how would I locate you once there?

bonked
    Probably hanging around the Groovy booth if Rody sets one up, or riding. PM me on the OMBA forum. I'll let you know for sure what my plans are. I just live down the valley from Manatoc. Depending on how tall you are her bike may fit you alright. My bike on the other hand, probably not, what with me being 6'- 5" and all.
    Yes I am!

bonked
    Wound up having to play lumberjack today. Prob won't get out to Manatoc
    Yes I am!

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeSPOOK View Post
    I have just swapped to 650b wheels on my 29er Spark (due to Scott or other manufacturers unlikely release of short travel FS XC 650b for 2013) - want to ride now, not next year.
    My Spark rides just as good if not better with 650b IMO.
    Should get these benefits regardless - lighter, stronger wheels, better acceleration, less gyro effect, not looking like a clownbike, fits in storage better, and usually better climbing and handling etc IMO.:
    Hey that is very interesting, do you have any pics? Are there any drawbacks to it?

NedwannaB

Re Spearfish:

Quote Originally Posted by redd4573 View Post
    Thanks guys for the quick replie. I have shorter legs a 170ish instead of 175's I'm running now should work if the BB height is not far off. I will have to check the specs
    I would advise against puting 650's on. I experienced more then usual pedal strikes on my regular trails running it 29" as it is. That was with 170 crank arms as well. One of the reasons for selling it.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

Members who have read this thread: 0