Are there any 27.5 rims that will work with V-brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Are there any 27.5 rims that will work with V-brakes

I have an Ibis silk ti that want to setup with 27.5 wheels. The rear is v-brake only. I was wondering if there were any v brake compatible rims out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Haystack Calhoun View Post
    I have an Ibis silk ti that want to setup with 27.5 wheels. The rear is v-brake only. I was wondering if there were any v brake compatible rims out there.
    If you go to the drop down menu on prowheelbuilder they have a rim finder tool. You can search for just 650b/rim brake. Looks like they only have a couple velocity models for you, but you could call them too.

Sometimes the Chinese carbon outfits have sort of odd combos like that... Might be worth a look.

Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Have you measured to make sure your V brakes have enough reach to work? I'm assuming you're converting a 26" frame.

Velocity Quill, Soma Weymouth, and Velo Orange Voyager are a few rims that come to mind.
    Last edited by seat_boy; 01-18-2020 at 03:57 AM.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    You might find the rims but unless you have relocated your brake studs, V brakes will not work. Since its Ti, why not have a Ti frame builder convert it to disc brakes?
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    You might find the rims but unless you have relocated your brake studs, V brakes will not work. Since its Ti, why not have a Ti frame builder convert it to disc brakes?
    I was thinking the same thing. Compatibility would be my concern, although looking at some V brakes online, it does look like the radius has some adjustability.

Ride what you like!
    See the slot that the brake shoe is mounted in? That's the adjustability. Are there any 27.5 rims that will work with V-brakes-tektro-926al-mini-v-brake-single-p221031-361930_image.jpg Some vees don't have that feature. Not sure if it'd span the distance from where it needs to be on a 26 rim vs 27.5. Logic dictates that you'd need .75" of adjustment range to make up the difference (1.5" bigger rim diameter/2 to get radius)
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiThundrrr View Post
    See the slot that the brake shoe is mounted in? That's the adjustability. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tektro-926al-mini-v-brake-single-p221031-361930_image.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	1306191 Some vees don't have that feature. Not sure if it'd span the distance from where it needs to be on a 26 rim vs 27.5. Logic dictates that you'd need .75" of adjustment range to make up the difference (1.5" bigger rim diameter/2 to get radius)
    Most V-brakes even with that adjustment range will not reach properly to a 27.5/650b rim. You can buy on eBay some v-brakes with extra long reach adjustment, but those are a poor solution as it changes the pull ratio some and they never feel as good because of that. I've tried a few times for customers and the results have always been sub-par.

OP, I agree, the best bet (while costly) is to have a ti-frame builder weld on a disc tab/brace for the rear end of the bike. I know the guys at Dean Bikes do a fair amount of modifications to older frames, there is always a merlin/litespeed in there that is getting a modern headtube or disc tabs welded on.
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    It's not a 1.5" diameter difference, it's only 1" (559 BSD to 584). So you need 0.5" of vertical adjustment.

Many people have reported that the Tetkro CR-720 canti has enough adjustment for this to work.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiThundrrr View Post
    See the slot that the brake shoe is mounted in? That's the adjustability. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tektro-926al-mini-v-brake-single-p221031-361930_image.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	1306191 Some vees don't have that feature. Not sure if it'd span the distance from where it needs to be on a 26 rim vs 27.5. Logic dictates that you'd need .75" of adjustment range to make up the difference (1.5" bigger rim diameter/2 to get radius)
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

Ride what you like!
    Lol I said "logic dictates". Nothing logical about 27.5, I guess
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here