mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Technique Assistance For My 27.5

So I have been progressively riding more aggressive trails near me, and would like some pointers on technique.

My bike is a 2019 Stumpjumper 27.5 medium. I am noticing that when climbing, I sometimes encounter the bike steering left and right if I don't have any prior momentum.

I also notice if I don't have prior momentum when going up a technical I will occasionally pop my front wheel up.

I have a dropper, should I be seated high when climbing or mid. I notice when I am low it gives me more ability to lean forward and try to keep the nose down.

Any thoughts and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Keep the dropper up when climbing, scoot forward on the saddle and lean over the handlebar more. A lower gear will help sometimes also. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I like to drop the seat a little when going up technical climbs, it allows a little better ability to move the bike around underneath you.

As far as the front end wandering, try getting more weight on the front wheel, keeping your momentum up, and looking further ahead. It's a challenge, keep at it.

mtbr member
    On climbs, try sliding forward on the seat just prior to encountering the increase in pitch and dropping your elbows. Sliding forward will have the effect of decreasing the distance between your butt and pedals, reducing leg extention....for that reason, I don't generally lower the seat for climbs, technical or not...I keep the dropper up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zsavage View Post
    I also notice if I don't have prior momentum when going up a technical I will occasionally pop my front wheel up.
    Are you talking about when your back wheel hits a rock or log that you just got your front wheel over? If so, you want to unweight your back wheel by driving your hips forward. GMBN has a recent video tutorial on that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvjR...=youtu.be&t=75

However, if the front wheel is popping up on climbs where your wheels aren't bumping into anything sizable, in addition to what grubetown wrote, you may find that driving your shoulders toward the handlebars in sync with your pedal drives (even though you want to try to stay smooth with pedal power application) can help keep the front wheel down when things get steep.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Not sure how to your saddle and bars are set up but try moving your saddle a cm or two forward on the rails, this will move your wieght a little more forward and should help with the issues you are having

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    This is all very interesting and should prove to be helpful when I start tinkering tonight when I get home. A part of me wishes I got the 29er, but i felt at 5'10 to 5'11 the 27.5 seemed best and more versatile. Climbing is the only thing that is proving "challenging" which frankly has resulted in me developing better technique and is helping me build strength and endurance.

mtbr member
    I find if I am looking farther ahead I tend to hold my line better than when I focus just a few feet in front of the front of me and then tend to drift off of my desired line.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Try bending your elbows and put your weight on the front, better if dropper post is up and sit closer to the front part of the saddle to maintain traction. Good luck!