mtbr member

A tale of 2 conversions

So I gave up 26ers about two years ago and for day to day riding have never looked back.
    But then, the only bicycle related regret I've ever had was selling an old Ti Merlin.

This situation left me with two bike related issues.
    1) What to do with a 1999 Specialized S-Works.
    2) What to do with a 2004 IF Steel Deluxe.

Well, the Specialized very quickly became a single speed and then became rigid and then a 29er front wheel went on it. And I have to say, for certain types of riding it is an unbelievebly fast bike.

It's light, rigid, but very capabaly of being thrown around. Maybe it's because it's gotten to an age the I don't really care about it any more so I don't worry about beating all hell out of it.

The one strange thing I've notce about it is that on certain downhills it will suddenly lurch forwards, as if someone has pressed a turbo button on it. I don't know if this something I've made up in my head, or if it is a function of the 69 deg head angle that means it responds to downhills, but it is a pretty cool feeling.

Then there was an 26er IF I had made around 2004, to be honest, I never really got on with this bike. It always felt awkward in some way. Too solid to be fast, too small wheeled to be stable.

This bike has had various incarnations, I turned it into a tourer using 700c wheels and Pauls BMX motos. But it wasn't until I put 650b wheels on it that the bike really came alive. It's just so smooth I feel like I could ride it forever, through the sunset, well into tomorrow, and the next day and the next.

So next time any of you are stuck with a bike that you're not sure what to do with, try it different. And then trying riding different things than you normally would. You'll be surprised how things turn out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ovaries on the Outside
    I was expecting to hear of one of the bikes get torn into civil war with senseless killings.

Both are really sweet- I really like your specialized SS.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jencks
    This bike has had various incarnations, I turned it into a tourer using 700c wheels and Pauls BMX motos. But it wasn't until I put 650b wheels on it that the bike really came alive. It's just so smooth I feel like I could ride it forever, through the sunset, well into tomorrow, and the next day and the next.

So next time any of you are stuck with a bike that you're not sure what to do with, try it different. And then trying riding different things than you normally would. You'll be surprised how things turn out.
    Cool

I replaced my Zokes with a rigid alu fork in November last year. Went SS in January, replaced the alu fork with carbon in April, then slapped a 29er front wheel in July. I'm now waiting for my 650B rims and tires to arrive and am thinking this is the last major "upgrade" I'm making for this frame
    The wait is killing me!
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments.
    Modifying these bikes has taken me to different riding pleasures. I always thought that I'd go riding looking for one kind of buz, and I was looking for the perfect bike to give me that kind of buz. But having both these bike around which push me in such different directions I've become aware that there are so many different two wheeled experiences...
    and all of that was before tonight, when I tried 2.35 Big apples on my SIR niner. WOW, that is a hilarious ride, brings out the childish hooligan. Whoopshazamhooray! There are so many ways to have 2 wheeled fun.

mtbr member
    Anything special about that IF? Because if they'll take a 650b rear wheel I'm ordering a set of rims right now.

mtbr member
    There was nothing I specially ordered with the IF, rear wheel was a bit of a squeeze.
    And as you see I've had to do some funny business with a stem to make things work out with my titec h-bar.

Members who have read this thread: 0