Ovaries on the Outside

Synergy Problems?

I bought a pair of Velocity Synergy rims off craigslist six months or more ago. Because I don't have enough room on my mountain bike for fat tires, I just bought some fatty rumpkins and used them to commute and tour. When I was putting the fatty rumpkins on the rims, the bead didn't set great- since I wasn't looking for the problem, I enthusiastically started pumping them up only to have the bead pop out, face a suddenly gluttonous mass of tube for a moment before it exploded. I took more care and managed to not have further problems and the wheels worked great for miles and miles.

Recently my friend picked up some pacenti 2.35s and wanted to try out 650b on his Ala Carte. For the life of both of us, we can't get the cursed bead to stay in on the cursed rims. After blowing out several tubes, we settled on giving the wheelset stony glares, but can't figure a way to make it work.

Since you all are so handsome and intelligent, I was wondering if someone wanted to throw us a bone. I'd get you some beer for thanks, but that ain't happening unless you live in Eugene, OR. Thanks in advance from the severely mentally disabled.

Old man on a bike
    When I was doing my research for my 650b rims I'm pretty sure I saw that the Synergy as well as the Blunt suffered from being a bit undersized, at least for a while, believe the problem isn't as bad with Velocity rims in latest production runs (but seemed there was enough question in that regard to cross them off my list). Don't think there's any cure for that.

Now if that's good for a beer I'd be surprised, but I'd take it, will be up in your area for MBO this summer. Fatty rumpkin sounds like a great name for a beer!
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Contact customer service at Velocityusa and see what they say. They replaced my rims.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Will do. If you guys swing by Eugene, PM me. Beers on me.

Members who have read this thread: 0