Switching 29er to 27.5 (but gravel or mountain tires?)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Switching 29er to 27.5 (but gravel or mountain tires?)

Not sure if this would be the right place for this post. I recently purchased a Niner Air 9 2-Star for my wife and she expressed a dislike for the size of the wheels (29er) So, I'm looking into 27.5's wheels and tires. I was thinking of putting a gravel setup rather than full mtb tires. Now gravel tires need specific gravel type wheels or do mountain wheels work well with gravel tires. I know the diameter changes from road to mountain and gravel should be the in-between.

She's not expressing the want to go trail riding much so something that is going to see some dirt/smooth single track and road would probably be what she wants. Other than that she feels great on the bike. (She doesn't like tippy toeing while mounting the bike (which I informed her that shorter women than her size ride 29ers and the different techniques to get on it) She won't have it... lol..

Currently the bikes has 2.5(F) and 2.4(R). Max 27.5x3 which would still put it close to a 29er. I was thinking going 27.5x2.5 (mountain tires) but started considering the gravel aspect just recently. I will post this on the gravel side too because it seems to be a hybrid topic... sorry and thanks in advance.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Someone's making excuses not to ride.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    i would install a dropper post if mounting the bike was the actual problem

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dirty B View Post
    i would install a dropper post if mounting the bike was the actual problem
    Already installed a dropper SDG Tellis 125mm

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I'm going to keep the Air 9 @ 29" and will most likely get the Giant Crosscut tires that was recommended on another thread. My step daughter has turned a liking towards the bike and she's riding it everyday... (Stole mommy's bike, lol.) I ordered today a 27+ Orbea Laufey H30 which has a standover of 678 (roughly 26") which will be better suited for the wifey. We will soon see... ty all!

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Someone's making excuses not to ride.
    This ^^^^^

My wife went from 26er to 29er like 5 years ago and still loves being able to roll over things a lot easier. She's ridden a few 650b (rental MTB's) and still prefers 29.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    This ^^^^^

My wife went from 26er to 29er like 5 years ago and still loves being able to roll over things a lot easier. She's ridden a few 650b (rental MTB's) and still prefers 29.
    I told her this yesterday, she got defensive heh.. she just doesn't feel confident on something she doesn't feel she can control (mounting). She's more worried about mounting and dismounting. My step daughter will be getting gravel tires and eventually I'll switch the fork to a rigid fork but for now, locking out the Judy will do.
    2019 Ibis DV9
    2019 Niner Air 9 2-Star
    2018 Orbea Loki 27+ H10

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by }{yBr!D^ View Post
    I'm going to keep the Air 9 @ 29" and will most likely get the Giant Crosscut tires that was recommended on another thread. My step daughter has turned a liking towards the bike and she's riding it everyday... (Stole mommy's bike, lol.) I ordered today a 27+ Orbea Laufey H30 which has a standover of 678 (roughly 26") which will be better suited for the wifey. We will soon see... ty all!
    I hope I'm wrong, but I'm up for a temporary adoption if need be.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    I hope I'm wrong, but I'm up for a temporary adoption if need be.
    lol, I'm hoping you're wrong too... I have a feeling the Laufey might be a garage kept bike. I'll put some miles on it though... should be fun to throw it around a bit. I could then compare both my 29er CF to the alum 27+ :P (I know, that's unfair) lol
    2019 Ibis DV9
    2019 Niner Air 9 2-Star
    2018 Orbea Loki 27+ H10