mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Suspension fork for 27.5" with v-brakes

Recently bought a Specialized Hardrock 27.5" with v-brakes after many years not riding a bike because of knee and hip issues. Bought the $425 v-brake model instead of the $500 disc version because I'm not going to go crazy, only light to moderate riding, due age and ability.
    Noticed black sticky grease coming out of the right side of shock with the preload knob past seal. Wipe it off after riding and all is fine.
    Already made several upgrades; better handlebars, handgrips, rack, etc. When I went to look online what was available to upgrade the Suntour M3030 suspension I was shocked to find NOTHING for 27.5" with v-brakes mounts! Why didn't the bike shop tell me this at time of purchase, I would have spent the extra $75 for discs for future availability of parts. I'm sure they're aware of it. Maybe the bike shop has better availability to this fork if needed from Specialized than I do online? I can't believe Specialized would put an unavailable suspension fork on a 2017 model!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Take it back and get the disc version. Hopefully you kept the stock parts.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Being upgraded

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Take it back and get the disc version. Hopefully you kept the stock parts.
    Went to the Bike Barn in Manchester NH. Good folks. They're upgrading me to the same Specialized Hardrock bike with disk brakes for $100. Different color but who cares. $60 difference in price and $40 to change over all my upgrades of handle bars, grips, bike computer, etc. Well worth the cost given that in a few years I may be screwed if I want to upgrade to a better shock.
    The owner, Patrick, said that 27.5/650 wheels have only been out for a few years so all the 27.5/650 suspension forks with v-brakes are going to manufacturers of bikes instead of retail so they're not available online. I don't know whether I should accept that but I'm not a bike shop owner and only a consumer. I have no knowledge of the bicycle industry. It's all good!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That was fast!

I'm not a bike shop owner, either. But v brakes have been on the way out for the last few years, and 27.5 wheels have gained popularity over the last few years. Makes sense you wouldn't see many of them paired.

Are you going to upgrade the fork to the Suntour?

Oh, and always keep your stock parts so you can sell in the future and keep the pricey upgrades for a new bike, if necessary. Also helps if the new parts get a lot of use; put the shiny stock parts back on the bike when selling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    That was fast!

I'm not a bike shop owner, either. But v brakes have been on the way out for the last few years, and 27.5 wheels have gained popularity over the last few years. Makes sense you wouldn't see many of them paired.

Are you going to upgrade the fork to the Suntour?

Oh, and always keep your stock parts so you can sell in the future and keep the pricey upgrades for a new bike, if necessary. Also helps if the new parts get a lot of use; put the shiny stock parts back on the bike when selling.
    Got totally hooked up. Patrick upgraded me to the next model up for $100. Went on a 5 mile ride afterwards and honestly, I'm not a balls to the wall rider so I couldn't tell the difference between disc and v-brakes other than the leaking shock. But I do have an upgrade path going forward if I want to change the forks.