Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Sun Charger 650B wheel set....

I just recieved my Sun Charger wheel set from HBG.

This wheel set was built on the new Sun Equalizer 27 rim and Ringle Dirty Flea hubs. The wheel set weighs in at a very respectable 1872g (878g front and 994g rear). Unfortunatly I wont' be able to ride these wheels for a while yet, as they are destined for my NAHBS show bike and I want to keep them looking new until show time.

however, I am looking forward to giving these things an adequate thrashing, and will post reviews here once I have logged some decent miles on them. From the looks of them so far, they are bound to be a great set hoops!

TNC
    noMAD man
    Kirk, you're an evil man. I had just about weaned myself from the idea of the 69'er setup...because I want more travel than what is available from 29'er forks at the moment...and here you come with the 650B concept...as if we didn't already have enough stuff to spend money on...LOL! Now I have a new Nixon 160mm fork coming and just ordered up a front wheel from QBP's Wheelhouse in 650B format. So a tire is now next on the list. Thanks a lot, Kirk. My children will now have to pay their own way through college...wait...I don't have any kids.

And now, Kirk, you have someone else producing another 650B wheelset...and a very nice looking one at that. Will this madness never end.

I'm looking forward to testing this setup when all the part get here.

mtbr member
    2015 Budnitz MTB Ti Limited 650B
    2015 Surly Instigator 2.0 26+/27.5+

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    ...Now I have a new Nixon 160mm fork coming and just ordered up a front wheel from QBP's ...
    TNC, The Sun Equalizer's are great looking and eyelets are stronger, especially important for an AM wheel. The Velocity Blunt looks like it will work better for a Stan’s tubeless conversion, having a flatter semi-"UST" like inner rim shoulder for the bead to seat upon - this will resist burping air under hard tight cornering or off camber sideslips .

I’m curious how the Nixon will work for you. I want a wind down 160 Elite, but am not convinced it can match the damping and stiction quality of my Pushed Vanilla RC shock. My ’05 Elite with ’06 TPC+ conversion is not bad but the stiction is high (but I heard that the ‘05s had many defects in stansions being assembled misaligned – maybe that’s why it was so cheap on closeout when I bought it.)

I’m anxiously waiting for my B wheel parts to arrive.
    Last edited by derby; 01-08-2008 at 10:03 PM.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Derby, I ordered the Blunt rimmed version with a 20mm hub and 14/15 db spokes. Yeah, I think I'm gonna miss the '06 66SL fork that's on the Nomad at the moment. I just got in from riding the Nomad, and it hauls pretty darned well even with that heavy fork. I'm looking forward to seeing how a lighter fork with the bigger front wheel will perform. I'm only losing 10mm of travel, but I'm thinking the larger front hoop will at the least make that a wash as far as ride height and perhaps be a noticeable improvement in rolling quality. I'm hoping there's not a dramatic difference in rigidity.

Members who have read this thread: 0