mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Suggestions for Mid-Travel Trail Bike?

I was just looking thread in the 29er forum about modern geometry, and it got me thinking about what, on paper at least, would be just right for my area and ability. I'm looking for a new bike, and leaning 27.5. I'm a large in most frames.

Goldilocks bike would be about 130-140mm travel, 66-67 deg HA, 1200 mm WB, 460 mm reach, 13.5" BB, 75 deg SA, 28-29 lbs.

Two that would fit the bill (but haven't ridden either) would appear to be the Evil Calling and Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt. Calling is probably more capable in the rough stuff, but the T-bolt is probably more nimble and efficient.

Wondering about others I should consider (and demo, if possible). Want a good, solid pedaling/climbing platform, quick under power, but reasonably capable and stable in technical stuff. I do bomb rock gardens frequently, but am not much for air (pretty earthbound).

mtbr member
    There are a lot of great bikes in this category. My list included Pivot Mach 5.5, Evil calling, Transition Scout, Knolly Endorphin, Santa Cruz 5010. I ended up on the Pivot Mach 5.5 and love it so far, but the Evil Calling was right up there and the Knolly Endorphin not far behind it.

mtbr member
    I have one of these and it's beyond awesome. Great pedaling and takes technical terrain extremely well.

https://ridegg.com/shreddogg
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Having a nice day!
    Add the Intense offerings in the mix as well. So many good options now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Please check out the Spot Rollik 150 for the 27.5 and donít rule out the Spot Mayhem as a 29er. Best customer service I have ever experienced and amazing build quality. Also you canít beat the value that they put into their builds for what you pay.

Check them out here:
    https://spotbrand.com/

Rollik is more rowdy (150) and more travel and Mayhem is less travel(130). Both are insane climbers and also great on the descents. I just purchased a Mayhem 5 Star build on Spotís Black Friday sales that I will ride here in the rock gardens of central PA.

Best of luck in your search but donít shy away from direct to consumer companies like Spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolky View Post
    Goldilocks bike would be about 130-140mm travel, 66-67 deg HA, 1200 mm WB, 460 mm reach, 13.5" BB, 75 deg SA, 28-29 lbs.
    I'd include a Whyte T-130 on your short list. They're direct sales, but their U.S. shop is Splitrock Tap and Wheel in Fairfax (CA) right next to the Marin Museum of Biking. They demo and rent Whytes there. I have a '18 T-130. Demo'd, rented, borrowed a lot of bikes from all the major brands before getting it. Love it. Nimble, playful, stable, good on steep techy stuff, a blast on fast flow, and loves to get in the air. I was surprised with how quick it is, and climbs pretty nice as well. My opinion, the best all around jack of all trades bike. Lifetime warranty on all pivot bearings.

https://splitrocktapandwheel.com/

Here's how the 2019 large lines up with the dimensions you posted.

travel, 130 rear, 140 front
    head angle, 65.5
    wheelbase, 1222
    reach, 480
    BB height, 13"
    SA angle, 75
    weight, 28.4 (carbon)
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks for all the good suggestions. I did demo the Mach 5.5 not long ago. Really liked it, but it might be just a bit more bike than I need. Same with the Devinci Troy, which was also terrific. Hoping if I go just a little less capable, I'll gain a bit more efficiency and playfulness. 5010 could work, but it felt a little short to me. I could try an XL, that would stretch it out some.

The Endorphin, Shred Dogg, and Rollik all look great, but don't really have any way of trying them. It is indeed possible the Mayhem would be a better fit for the job here than the Rollik. I'll look into the Whyte, Fred, but know literally nothing about them at this point!

Also, should I try out the Yeti SB5? I know everyone is raving on their new 29ers, but the SB5 looks promising, at least the numbers do.
    Last edited by Stolky; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Turner Flux?
    EXODUX Jeff

ZEN RIDER!
    The more I ride my calling the more I like it and the delta link. I've been a huge pivot dw link fan boy for a long time and the delta link just has such a planted feel with mid travel support. And it just rails corners. I've wiped out a dozen times just because i'm pushing the bike so hard to see how fast I can make it around the twisty sections, especially since I put on the 2.6 upfront.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    I'd include a Whyte T-130 on your short list. They're direct sales, but their U.S. shop is Splitrock Tap and Wheel in Fairfax (CA) right next to the Marin Museum of Biking. They demo and rent Whytes there. I have a '18 T-130. Demo'd, rented, borrowed a lot of bikes from all the major brands before getting it. Love it. Nimble, playful, stable, good on steep techy stuff, a blast on fast flow, and loves to get in the air. I was surprised with how quick it is, and climbs pretty nice as well. My opinion, the best all around jack of all trades bike. Lifetime warranty on all pivot bearings.

head angle, 65.5
    wheelbase, 1222
    reach, 480
    BB height, 13"
    SA angle, 75
    weight, 28.4 (carbon)
    This was my first thought as well. They also have pretty good value imo.

The previous design ('16 - '18) won all sorts of bike of the year awards, and the '19 looks even better. Also, the company just won another bike of the year award with their G170, and their hardtail lineup (901/905) get really high praise as well (numerous hardtail of the year awards from all sorts of publications). So it seems to me that it looks like the company knows what they're doing, even if they're not that common over in the states yet.

I very nearly bought one of these actually.

As the numbers show above, its pretty darn close to what you were wanting. Its HTA is a touch slacker (by .4 degrees), little lower bb (.5in), and bit longer WB (22mm). It is also worth noting that it comes with reduced fork offset, and reviews seem to indicate that it can fit a 29x2.3in tire in the back if you'd like to try that. That would gain back some of the BB height at the very least.

The SC 5010, and Transition Scout are both pretty close to the same numbers as well actually, and both get great reviews.

Good luck deciding on something .

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post

head angle, 65.5
    wheelbase, 1222
    reach, 480
    BB height, 13"
    SA angle, 75
    weight, 28.4 (carbon)
    My 1st choice but budget didn't allow for carbon, then found a closeout 5010 alumn which sealed the deal budgetwise. Would've got a better spec on the '19 T130 alloy but was limited by finances. Still happy with my choice.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

aka bOb
    I've been eying the Eskar Elkat, seems to check a lot of my boxes at least.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The Mach 5.5 sounds like a good fit imo. I wouldn't worry about it being too much bike. Check out Dirtwire TV on youtube..Tom puts it through it's paces on more techy east coast stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    The Mach 5.5 sounds like a good fit imo. I wouldn't worry about it being too much bike. Check out Dirtwire TV on youtube..Tom puts it through it's paces on more techy east coast stuff.
    Thanks, that's a good review. It's true, my impression about it being too much bike are based more on the numbers than my actual demo of it, which was very fun. Maybe I shouldn't over think it.

mtbr member
    Based on experiences with quite a few bikes, I can recomend the 5010. Its an awesome trail thumper. I have a 5010 v3 , and it will be my one bike for a long time. You can get rowdy on pretty much any bike today, because they are all so good. But the 5010 is just so much dam fun to ride pretty much anywhere. The SC description of it, is dead on. enjoy whatever you get.

mtbr member
    how about this? I am quite satisfied with the Fezzari brand. https://www.fezzari.com/cross-country/cascade-peak

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wideawakejake View Post
    Based on experiences with quite a few bikes, I can recomend the 5010. Its an awesome trail thumper. I have a 5010 v3 , and it will be my one bike for a long time. You can get rowdy on pretty much any bike today, because they are all so good. But the 5010 is just so much dam fun to ride pretty much anywhere. The SC description of it, is dead on. enjoy whatever you get.
    5010 is nearly dead on with my target geometry, and have really liked VPP the times I've tried it. I rode the 5010 V2 once, which felt short to me, but the V3 might feel just right. I will demo one at the LBS. Thanks.

mtbr member
    For what its worth, I have the baseline carbon version with the 2.6 tires and non piggyback shock. I rode an AL frame 5010 back to back and I found no difference in how the bikes rode what so ever. Shop made a really good deal on the carbon one, and honestly, I just really dug the matt black with grey letters. I would have been happy with either AL or carbon as far as the ride goes. bike is great as is, although i installed my usual i9 rear hub

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kona Hei Hei trail. 140mm/140mm