Thread: Sub $1k bikes

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Sub $1k bikes

Interested in getting back into riding, but not really looking to make it a main hobby of mine again. Any bikes <$1k that I can be happy with in stock form as a longtime rider? Mostly trails.

Just a flesh wound
    Not enough information. What kind of trails? Hardtail or full suspension or rigid? A used bike might be your best bet. A used 29'er might be cheaper as they have been around a lot longer. Giant has really good pricing, but they also have proprietary parts. Fezzari in Utah is an interesting model for bike manufacturing and sales.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

Bikesexual
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Bikesexual
    There is a Commencal Meta just above your budget that looks perfect, same with the Cannondale Trail 3 - I had one (26) but it was an awesome bike. You want to stay away from Suntour Forks unless you do the $200 upgrade.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Julio - I travel national parks and would like to ride a lot of the different style of trails. Hardtail more than likely. A budget full suspension probably isn't worth the headache.

jcd - I was just about to ask about that one after reading the list.
    COMMENCAL 2016 META HT AM ORIGIN RED 2016

Looks pretty nice. It's been so long since I've been into riding so these new components are over my head as far as knowing what's good.

Bikesexual
    I agree at that price you can get a sweet HT - I'm not the most experienced around here btw.. but that's very solid ride. It looks like its on sale if they have your size, there are others in there but I just browsed the list and two I mentioned caught my eye.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The 2017 is a hundred bucks more and looks to have whole new list of components

Bikesexual
    Even better
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    check if where you work has the corporate discount from Diamondback. Pretty big price cuts if so.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Duplicate post
    Last edited by MASC1104; 11-12-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MASC1104 View Post
    check if where you work has the corporate discount from Diamondback. Pretty big price cuts if so.
    I used a generic code to get access.

The mason trail, mason 2016, atroz, sync'r, recoil comp are all in my price range. :?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

BikesDirect stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
    Interested in getting back into riding, but not really looking to make it a main hobby of mine again. Any bikes <$1k that I can be happy with in stock form as a longtime rider? Mostly trails.
    I got the Gravity FSX 2750 from there. You have to really make sure you put it together properly and tighten every single bolt/screw/nut. I'm quite happy with it and have plenty of miles on it (had it 3 months). It was $449.00.

Mountain Bikes | GRAVITY FSX 27.5 LTD | FSX 275 LTD | SHIMANO 24sp FULL SUSPENSION 27.5 w/ DISC | BikeShopWarehouse.com | Have you checked out the <b>Gravity FSX275 LTD</b>? <br><br> If not, you should! 27.

But I would not do this unless you know how to fix almost everything on a bike yourself.

I've got close to 300 miles off road mostly. It's gone through some awesome crashes also. It always road out (except for a flat once). It's been on lots of intermediate single track with small sections of black.

It's 30 lbs (for the XL size) assembled. It's pretty heavy duty on stuff.

It handled fine on pavement going 40 mph. (Downhill 6% grade with 45 mph tail wind.)

It did well on pretty rough mixed gravel/small rocks at 31.2 mph with turns on a fire road.

Bad things:

Rear shock is junk, need to replace it with something that's 300+ at sometime. But it does work somewhat.

The front quick release comes loose all the time. I look down at it before getting to the nasty stuff. I will replace that part.

It's a little tall, putting center of gravity a bit high up for steep descents/drop offs. Once I get a dropper post for it, I'll cut the little riser off of the bike so I can get really low.

Rear brakes squeak after a while, so at breaks I turn the calipers back about 1/8th a turn until it's got the gap it wants.

It does well in loose sand with the stock tires. You have to lean back some, but it keeps going.

All in all, I'm quite happy with it. I ride every other day weather permitting.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I was between that And the mason but tha mason is $100 cheaper and 27.5+ and still 1lb less. 30.7 vs 31.9

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I was between that And the mason but mason was $100 less, lighter, boost, 27.5+ And had a tappered head tube. The tokul has 1x gears and the fox fork... sounds like a good deal too

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Commencal meta am ht

A great bike for the money is a commencal meta hardtail. They are good bikes for getting into the sport and riding anything your local trails throws at it.
    COMMENCAL 2016 | META HT AM ORIGIN 650B YELLOW 2017

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bumping this back up since I haven't bought anything yet.

2015 tokul 3
    2016 tokul 3
    DB mason comp 2016
    DB Rely
    or 2017 commencal meta ht?

And corporate code for Raleigh? Raleigh4u doesn't work

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
    Bumping this back up since I haven't bought anything yet.

2015 tokul 3
    2016 tokul 3
    DB mason comp 2016
    DB Rely
    or 2017 commencal meta ht?

And corporate code for Raleigh? Raleigh4u doesn't work
    Decisions! and then they throw another bike in the mix lol - I've been promoting the Commencal but that doesn't mean much because I don't have one. My buddy is about to pull the trigger on a FS Commencal. As I said before, if I was on the market for a HT, that would be my choice, they seem solid as mentioned above. The only thing on the Salsa I don't like is the Tektro brakes, don't remember what the Meta has but nice ride.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit