MtB life
    Feb 2019

Stuck on a new bike purchase

Hello fellow riders. Iím stuck on a new bike or new to me bike Iím interested in getting. Mostly Iíve ridden a 2014 giant trance 27.5 med. owned it for a few years and enjoyed being on it. Hard times came and I had to seek it a year ago.

Around October I bought a 2016 Raleigh kodiak 27.5 med. just to get back out riding again. Wasnít my top pick but it got me back out riding. This bike always felt kinda smaller to me and rides more like a entry level giant stance vs the trance I had. So I donít ride it much now present day.

my bday is coming up and Iím looking to getting a new or new to me bike that will get me back aggressively riding again. I was looking st the 2019 giant trance 2. 27.5 medium. But looking into the used market a friend of a friend has a 2016 Santa Cruz 5010c 27.5 Large for sale. A very nice looking bike and priced reasonably. Only issue is that itís a large. Bummed me out.

A buddy of mine said he read that Santa Cruz runs smaller in size. Not sure how much truth to that there is l, which is why I made this thread. Would this bike be a good fit of how do the Santa Cruz bikes size up. Grant it I know I need to ride it to know it and so on. Bike is 3 counties away and I donít wanna make the drive without doing the research first on knowing what my chances are.

I am 5í8Ē tall without my five tens shoes on. My ride style is more aggressive with jumping and a lot of stand up riding. Enjoy technical so much more than XC.
    Last edited by jesse9183; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:26 AM. Reason: Making paragraphs

mtbr member
    Paragraphs help a lot!!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iím 5í11Ē and rented a 2019 5010 a few weeks ago. It fit me perfectly. Iíve got a feeling that the large would be too big for you, especially since you enjoy jumps and technical features.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'm 5'10.5" and bought a L V3 5010(2019). The 3rd version 5010 has a longer reach and wheelbase than the v2.

I was considering a v2(2018) 5010 and with my height I would've wanted an Xl.

IMO, if you're interested in the used 5010 go ride that sucka! You may find at your height that size is perfect for you

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I am 5-10 and have a 2015 5010 Large - fits me well. It's true that this bike ran small and I normally ride a medium in other bikes. The 2019 is not "small for its size" as was the case in prior years and I am a medium on that bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The older ( ie:2016 ) santa cruz bikes definitely ran small. Look at the geometry charts.. that's a pretty outdated geo. You would most likely fit a large fine. Having said that, I don't think their older vpp suspension was that great.. and that 5010 is more of a carver/slasher and can get overwhelmed on more techy stuff. Personally I'd opt for the Trance in a heartbeat. I've ridden a friend's 2018.. really good bike for the money. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Trance is going to be more versatile and forgiving if you like riding chunkier technical stuff and favor gravity over xc. Pros and cons to each bike in the jumping category though neither would be my first choice for a DJ bike obviously: 5010 will be livelier and poppier, but will likely punish you a bit more when you case a landing. In the 2016-2018 SC lineup, the trance is more comparable to the Bronson than the 5010Ė I test rode and advanced 0 before getting my Bronson and the two were neck and neck, but had whole different handling and riding characteristics. Bronson livelier with more trail feel. Giant more magic carpet-like in stock suspension arrangement. Bronson after x2 upgrade allowed me to kind of change that as I please, but the Giant suspension design was just inherently plusher through trail chatter in stock configuration. The Bronson kind of handled bigger hits betteró but I digress.

Put it this way, I see Trances with some regularity at my local lift serviced park, and 5010ís very rarely if at all. On the local trails that are probably more XC oriented though technical, chunky, with a few fun mini DH sections thrown in, I see more 5010ís and 5010 travel class bikes than longer travel bikes. YMMV.
    18í SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27 hoops, i9 hubs, Float X2

2018 SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9 hubs, DHX2

MtB life
    Feb 2019
    Thanks all. Iíve decided to go with a 2019 giant trance 2. 27.5 med frame. Changing the hubs out and handle bars before it even leaves the shop. Iím happy about my choice. Another bike for the garage.

mtbr member
    That sounds like a really great choice, plus it's new and you've got full warranty, should anything happen. Also Maestro suspension really is very good, think you'll be happy with that bike for a long time. I'd personally have taken the lesser travel and gone for the 29er version, but then I'm also 6'2" so 29ers just work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse9183 View Post
    Thanks all. Iíve decided to go with a 2019 giant trance 2. 27.5 med frame. Changing the hubs out and handle bars before it even leaves the shop. Iím happy about my choice. Another bike for the garage.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??