Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spot Rollik 607

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Spot Rollik 607

I think the Rollik 607 deserves its own thread. Post all things Rollik 607 here.

Update: Here's my review:

Last edited by sixstringsteve; 08-05-2018 at 08:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The first time I rode a spot was a Mayhem at outerbike. I was looking to ride an evil, but they were all gone, so I wandered around seeing which bikes were available in my size. I found some bikes at Spot's booth and decided to give the mayhem 650b+ a go. They explained the living link suspension (with the carbon leaf spring), and how they have o-rings on all their bearings, and the type of carbon they used. It sounded good, but everyone claims to have a bike that "climbs like an xc bike and descends like an enduro bike." I rode off with pretty low expectations.

Well, that bike blew me away. The geo wasn't quite right for my style, but I was totally sold on the brand and suspension platform.

This year, at Sedona, I noticed they brought the new Rollik 607 (before it was even announced). I took one out for a spin. I was blown away again. But this time the geometry and sizing was perfect. It's a 27.5" bike, with 150mm rear, 160mm front, 66* hta, 431mm cs, and 76* seat stays, and room for 2.6" wide tires.

I took it out for a ride on hangover trail, and it was a blast. I had way more fun on this bike than I did riding hangover the previous time on my bronson v2. I love the bronson v2, but this bike was so efficient on the climbs, and more playful on the downs. The best way to describe this bike is that it climbs like a yeti sb5+ and descends like a Pivot mach 5.5. It's such a fun bike. I'll do a full video review once I have more time on it, but I am LOVING this bike.

Spot Rollik 607-img_20180422_065730_260.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've always been intrigued by their suspension design, cool stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Glad you found a bike to be stoked on! Got any in the flesh photos of that RIG?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My wife (Dusty betty on YouTube) ended up riding one at Sedona MTB Fest as well, and ended up buying one too. Here's a pic of her on Braille trail in the Soquel/Demo forest in Santa Cruz this week.

Spot Rollik 607-20180423_133353-2.jpg

We'll have a bunch of videos featuring these bikes on Dusty Betty's Youtube channel.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 04-26-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Poser
    Steve, your YT vid of that Mayhem ride, and the Bike mag post of the 607 from Sedona a month or so ago got me started on the 607. I was about to order an Insurgent from Jenson, but the 607 seemed to tick a lot of boxes.

I love mine. Itís already got some mods because Iím used to Maguras and some Backcountry 360s come tomorrow so I can run Rekon 2.8s.

I hope this bike picks up speed. Spot deserves it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Awesome. So you have a 607 too? So cool. I love this bike.

I'd love to see some pics of it with 2.8s on it, when you get time. I'm running a 2.6 DHF front and a 2.5 WT Agressor in the rear. I'm super happy with this combo, but it's awesome to have options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If I ever jump off my Knolly bandwagon it'll be for a Spot. I used to ride a Maverick and their suspension engineer now works for Spot and designed this layout, from what I understand.

mtbr member
    Deleted
    Last edited by skinnybex; 04-27-2018 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Deleted
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    You should watch the video on youtube released today by the Singletrack sampler as he's riding the Rollik 607.....not a good thing but he should have checked his bike earlier. It sure seems like a bad layup to break like that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw5QQyJSyso
    I saw that today just as I was opening my new wheels. Broke my heart. I hope 1)he has no lasting effects from the fall, and 2)neither does Spot. Bad timing.

Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
    I'd love to see some pics of it with 2.8s on it, when you get time. I'm running a 2.6 DHF front and a 2.5 WT Agressor in the rear. I'm super happy with this combo, but it's awesome to have options.
    BEHOLD:

Spot Rollik 607-org_dsc01729.jpg
    Spot Rollik 607-org_dsc01732.jpg

This is my first really nice set of wheels. Never thought I'd be able to tell the difference, but I sure can even just bopping about in my alley. Been dying to try out 2.8 or 3s for years now too. Can't wait to ride Saturday...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ^^All carbon frames are handmade. The location doesn't matter much, it's the quality control and design. And on the topic of Chinese carbon, its quite good these days as they've been ripping off American IP designs and building them for a good two decades now lol.

There's no way to tell if its a defect. The guy crashed multiple times and did not check for damage. When he heard what we presume to be the crack, he rode on. Those are all things you should not do!

Btw, when your carbon frame makes noise like that craaaack sound, that's it crying for help. Then he kept riding down that super rocking section that would make ones dentures fall out. There's only so much it can take... That frame held on for quite a while if we imagine that it had already sustained some damage.

Poser
    Taiwan (and China) is making the best mass production carbon frames. Practically every carbon frame in your LBS is coming out of the same few carbon fabs in Taiwan.

This isnít like ďoh, China can make good framesĒ. They make pretty much all of the good ones. And the great ones. Santa Cruz? Taiwan. Evil? Taiwan. It goes on and on.

I think itís the safest conclusion in the book that Spotís frames are made in the same fab as some very well regarded manus/frames. So is it a design with a weakness, or is this a bug in a first run of frames? I think the latter. And thatís IF a rock didnít smack the frame in the place it broke. Which we have no way of knowing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Agreed. We saw 5% of what happened those past two days. Im not accusing alex of hiding anything, he is a stand up guy. However, we only have a tiny bit of information to base our speculation on.

I'm curious if something happened when he crashed the day before, or at the beginning and said he had a dead leg and his thigh hit a rock.

I have zero worries continuing to ride my rollik on drops as big or bigger than what alex rode. I'm so glad he is ok, and I appreciate his video.

Alex pusheds it hard, and crashes a lot, often ditching the bike mid-air. This isnt a dig, it's just an observation. He tries tough stuff that id probably pass on, but the fact remains that almost all his riding vids involve a crash of some sort.

I wish I had a crystal ball to know what went wrong, but the truth is, we dont know for sure. What's amazing is that he rode it as far as he did after that drop where we hear the crack. He took it down the snotch, followed by the most brutal section of that trail. It held on a long time before it totally broke. I'm just glad he is ok.

It shouldn't have broken in the first place, but remember minaar's cracked v10 (brand new bike) when it hit that pole? I dont blame santa cruz one bit, because carbon frames contacting solid objects is a recipe for disaster. I wonder if this spot had an impact from earlier in the day, or the day before (when he manualed and crashed and was ejected from the bike). It wouldn't take much for a rock to penetrate the carbon on a crash, then it would just be continually weakening through the day.

A lot of people are jumping on the bandwagon hating on spots. I'm still thrilled with mine and I have zero regrets.

I'll hold out and see if this is an isolated incident, or if it's an issue with a lot of frames. Regardless, spot will take care of their customers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I think it's insane where he went down that super rocky section at ludicrous speed, remembering the loud crack sound, cry for help from the frame. Dude...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Alex is a great dude and a talented rider. But he isnt afraid to send his bike flying. Keep in mind this is the guy who refers to himself as the "king of crash" and the "sultan of sketch." Super nice guy, and I really respect him, but with how hard he pushes it (to the point of frequent crashes almost every episode), it could have been any one of a precious set of crashes that led to this catastrophic failure. It didn't snap all at once. It developed a crack, then he continued to ride it hard on one of the chunkiest trails around, until it ultimately cracked completely.

mtbr member
    Deleted
    Last edited by skinnybex; 04-27-2018 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Deleted
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I 100% agree he should have inspected the bike when he initially heard the odd noise earlier in his video. Iím guessing that was the initial stress in the frame and to continue to ride that hard on any trail let alone TWE is a testament to what these bikes can handle.

Look, I obviously have heard plenty of breakage stories on the FB Yeti Group as we have about 11,000 members strong posting frequently. Breakages happen plenty and usually itís the fault of the rider making a mistake and crashing. That being said it brings up plenty of concern to me exactly where that frame failed even if it was the initial moment off the first smaller drop Alex heard something. Yes, the prior days ride could have led to an issue as well but nevertheless it is where it failed thatís pretty crazy.

Iím sure we will hear plenty on the durability of the spot frames in the future since chasing epic is using these for their demo fleet for 2018 and they only have rowdy trips available.
    C'mon dude. The problem is you presented the video as some kind of warning. And even went as far as to suggest it was a layup flaw and ignored the fact that the rider crashed multiple times, did not mention checking for damage or safety post crash, ignored the warning crack from the frame and continued to ride down some really long and gnarly sections. The rider was asking for bad shit to happen, regardless of how nice and great a rider he is. That post of yours set up this tangential digression.

mtbr member
    Deleted
    Last edited by skinnybex; 04-27-2018 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Deleted

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    What do you mean ďCmon DudeĒ ? You started a thread about this specific bike and within 24 hours of your topic I sent a link with the breakage and how Fíing fatal it could have been. Sorry bud but that failure on that frame in that particular spot is bad news and could have cost him his life if he would have went over the edge in a scetchy section or if the broken handlebar would have impaled him due to the crash. He crashed because the frame folded on him and thatís the bottom line.

Yeah I get that you just bought the bike and love it but the facts are this could be a bad run of frames from the manufacturer or it could just be shitty luck by a rider that rides hard.
    Defensive much? You don't even realize that I'm not the OP. You post a video of a random dude crashing multiple times, to the point that the frame finally fails. Make some stupid claims that it is a bad layup, run of frames, now with even more hyperbole. That's some shit posting to me.

mtbr member
    Deleted
    Last edited by skinnybex; 04-27-2018 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Deleted

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I apologize to you as your not the OP. Your the expert here not me. Your blaming a YouTube channel rider and presuming its all his fault like you were on the trails following his every move ? I guess people that buy these bikes wonít ride them fast and would never attempt consecutive drops or extremely difficult sections of trail right ? This should be an extremely capable bike ridden really mellow on green level trails ?

Anyways I hope this is just a fluke occurrence. Take care and enjoy
    Look, you don't know anymore than I do if its from crash damage or a defect. And to post the video suggesting its the latter is irresponsible especially in someone's thread. And stop with the shit posting and hyperbole.

mtbr member
    Deleted
    Last edited by skinnybex; 04-27-2018 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Deleted
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    D'bag huh, sounds about right from the guy claiming lay up and bad batch of runs... smh.

Andrew Lumpkin from Spot here. First of all, weíre grateful that Alex is okay. Rider safety is our utmost concern and whenever anyone crashes, regardless of cause, it makes us all pause and hope that the rider is healthy. Regarding the break, we are currently investigating all possibilities of causality, which are manifold. We became aware of the situation on the same day of the crash. We take these situations extremely seriously so we called Alex and Steve immediately, even though we were very busy at Sea Otter. Alex gave us limited information so that he could protect his story and his sensational reveal. All of our bikes are tested to exceed ISO standards, EN standards and, in addition, meet our stringent in-house standards. Relating to this break, we test our frames to failure in a machine that puts over 3,000 lbf vertical force through the bottom bracket while allowing the axles to move in any directionóitís designed to replicate the worst-case huck-to-flat scenario. In addition to testing all of our frames to optimize structure, and ultimately, failure mode, we test many competitorsí frames in the same ASTM intended use levels to ensure that we exceed their results. Yes, we buy premium carbon frames (many brands mentioned in this thread) at retail and destroy them to study the results and better our frames. Itís an expensive exercise that is well worth the cost. In our initial analysis, one issue is apparentóthe shock was grossly under-pressured and the compression under-damped. It should have had approximately 60psi (33%) more pressure in the shock! Although it had been reported that he hadnít been bottoming out, many frames in the footage show that the o-ring was off or at least at the end of its travel. Only yesterday were we privy to this additional evidence. Itís up to the rider to notice and remedy such a setup issue. Alexís intuition was that something was wrong, but he continued to send it. The purpose of a spring-damper unit is to absorb the energy from the trail or the rider when riding in uneven terrain. If the spring-damper unit is under-inflated and under-damped, it prevents the spring damper unit from absorbing enough of the energy to protect the frame. With this inadequate setup/trail conditions, if you repeatedly deliver a high spike load to the frame, it will likely fail. We hereby explicitly state that if you ride any of our bikes with such inadequate setup, sooner or later expect the same result. Ask any other manufacturer/expert in the field, and they will tell you EXACTLY THE SAME THING. If the frame is not protected from severe bottom-out events, all bets are offóTHE FRAME WILL FAIL EVENTUALLY. Have we had a few broken frames since we started selling them two years ago? Of course. Who hasnít? Thereís nothing new here; this is basic physics. There is nothing inferior about our frames. Then thereís the next factor: the [at least] three crashes on rocky terrain. As we all learned with the famous Minnaar crash last year, crazy things happen in crashes, even to downhill bikes. To define this bike as brand new is misleading due to these crashes and entirely inadequate air pressure and damping setup with the severe riding conditions. Riding aggressive trails aggressively requires suspension adjustments to protect yourself and your equipment. One very important lesson thatís apparent is to always inspect your bike (frame and components) thoroughly, especially when you suspect that something is wrong. This final crash was avoidable. Again, we are extremely grateful that Alex is okay. We will report back when our investigation is complete. -Andrew
    Spots take on this is hilarious, user error!

mtbr member
    Deleted
    Last edited by skinnybex; 04-27-2018 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Deleted
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    It's great to see Spot stepping up and coming to a conclusion which seems Legit. Yeti suffered numerous failures during the 2015 demo launch of the SB6c concerning chain stays and although they ultimatley blamed the carbon manufacturer at the time for a bad layup they were raked over the coals about the failures which prompted them to recheck everything and improve the layup. Not a bad thing in my book.

I actually rode the spot at the 2017 Hurricane MTB festival and I really enjoyed the demo. bike pedaled really efficiently and was pretty good on the downs.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    D'bag huh, sounds about right from the guy claiming lay up and bad batch of runs... smh.

Spots take on this is hilarious, user error!
    I only read it as "if you ride and repeatedly bottom out, the frame might break".

He didn't say user error.

I dunno man, this whole thing is so stupid. I've had two friends text me today about my stupid bike, like I should be sorry I bought it or be careful or whatever. Like, they have a unique thought on the whole matter that I haven't considered. Any time anybody espouses an opinion on it (and unfortunately, including me), the subtext of the back and forth is "you're dumb, no you're dumb, no you. No you"

What a shitty way to start what I was hoping would be a useful thread on setup for this bike. It's like the worst of the internet condensed down into pure annoying.

I just like my bike and hope it doesn't break. I very much doubt it will. If you think it'll break, great. I'll send you a postcard when it does.

I was hoping to get somebody's experience with the Shockwiz on it, deeper thoughts on where sag should be on it, etc etc. rip in pieces.

mtbr member
    Hey Direktor, don't sweat it man and enjoy the bike you bought.

Set your bike up with 27-30% sag and ride. You have a warranty in place from Spot which will keep you covered if anything was to ever happen.

The bike has some great ride qualities and thats why people will buy this bike so just enjoy it.

Go for a ride tomorrow and have fun and you'll be stoked to be out on the trails.
    Last edited by skinnybex; 04-27-2018 at 07:23 PM. Reason: updated
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    May 2013
    All these ambulance chasers don't even own Spots ie:Are objectively clueless. I have owned the Rollik 557 since inception (3500 miles on dirt) and now have the 607. I'm 205 loaded and run 230 lbs in the DPX 2. I think that works out to 17mm sag. Cheers J

PS: Pretty sure if Alexander was on his Diamondback the video edit may look a little different.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I too am tired of all my friends texting me the link to his video, calling me an idiot for buying a spot. One or two people, sure, but it's getting annoying now. Sadly the only thing they know about the bike is that alex broke it. This isnt the first carbon bike to break, but it is one of the more high profile riders to break one.

It's too bad, now this thread is about alex's video, not the actual bike. I wish we had a place to just discuss the bike, for those of us who own one and want to chat about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I would pm a mod and ask for a clean up. If the thread hijacker wants to share this singe instance of a crash inducing frame breaking video claiming mass defect, he can make his own thread and not muck up yours.

mtbr member
    I would pm a mod and ask for a clean up. If the thread hijacker wants to share this singe instance of a crash inducing frame breaking video claiming mass defect, he can make his own thread and not muck up yours.
    I'll help you clean it up but I shouldn't have to endure you running your mouth and calling me out constantly. I feel sorry for you that you get so irritated at the reality of simple imformation.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    I'm a Rollik 557 owner and after just now looking at my bike I can see where bottom out could possibly cause this type of failure. Lots of energy going to the upper pivot that goes through the seat tube. Whether or not this is a design flaw is up for debate. Its possible the rider was bottoming out during the ride and didn't realize it. And it might have something to due with how the living link system feels (I don't know, just speculating here..).

Also I'm wondering about the elevation variable. If you set your sag at say 2500' and then go ride Moab, does that play a factor? Again I don't know, but maybe something that should be considered. And this may not even be the case with the rider, he may have very well set his sag right before ride, I don't know.

I think this is a valuable lesson for both Spot Brand and the rider. My biggest take away is that I need to start riding with paramedics because those guys were awesome!

Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by manwithnoname View Post
    I'm a Rollik 557 owner and after just now looking at my bike I can see where bottom out could possibly cause this type of failure.
    Uh. You know I read this comment earlier and I didnít think much of it, but then I went and looked at my bike and realized...

If the upper rocker truly went too far in a bottom out, the edge of it would smack right in the middle of the Textreme logo. Right where Alexís broke.

I understand thatís what A Lumpkin said, but itís really pretty clear if you read the words and then take a look at the layout.

Not conclusive by any means, but...Iím not very concerned anymore about my own bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Personally, and I doubt this carries much weight, but as a prospective Spot purchaser, I'd rather this stays. No, I don't own a Spot, but I've heard nothing but fantastic things about them and this whole thing came as a big surprise. I do, however, own a Yeti, and the frame breakage stories there haven't been cleaned up, and I'm grateful to know that it's a possibility, and that the company also responded. I vote this stays, as a history of the bikes, and what was done to address it. Because let's be entirely honest here, every time someone thinks about buying one of these bikes for the next 2 years, this will be discussed, just like with Yetis, and that forces things to get better. I don't even own one yet and my inbox blew up from friends making sure I saw this. Because they're concerned for my safety, and I'm concerned for my face. I feel it's a valid concern. Would I love to know more about the bike? YES! There's very little info out there and I'm curious about build weights, DH ability, sprinting response, and yes, will it handle enduro races, or TWE at mach chicken because I would've ridden the same shit the same way he did. Maybe I'm less inclined to break something because I'm a 140lb lady, but still, I need to know my bike can handle it so I'm only second guessing my skill, and not the bike's.

I will say, ya, dude, if you crashed that hard, just once, at least check your derailleur or something. This isn't an aluminum enduro shred sled that you can drop on a boulder. Carbon breaks on impacts. Stop and make sure it's ok. Also, who set his pressure for him? Did he adjust it himself? Was the shock performing properly or leaking air? Lots of unknowns, but also, lots of skepticism and it needs to be addressed fully before trust can be rebuilt. And it's a shame. They're obviously phenomenal bikes, and the company rocks. This is shitty PR for an otherwise great group, and a bum day for someone who seems like a great guy. Also, good on Smokan for taking the beatup bike down so Alex could finish. That's class right there.

Bad shit happens, bikes break, riders get hurt. It's mountain biking. Stop pretending it's safe, and wiping this info under the rug is only removing a measure of information that would ignore possible issues until it's addressed appropriately. I don't want to hurt anyone's businesses by keeping this here, that's not my intent. But consumers should understand what happened, how/why it happened, and what, if anything, was done to address it so we can make more informed choices.

Poser
    A record of the event is fine. The video staying in is fine.

But the posting back and forth discussing each's opinion on the event is meta, at best.

The fact we're 20 posts down from it and still discussing it it enough for future archeologists to divine it's weight at the time. But having been on the other side of this while researching something on any message board, it's a whole lot of next button. Christ, these guys are still arguing about this? Next.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Confused a little. Despite everyone's feelings getting hurt by Andrew's response, why does everyone assume it's Spots fault and the rider had nothing to do with it? It sounds like Spot has examined what they can and have taken a position that is plausable. Maybe he could have hand held a little rather than being so blunt. However then posters here have been more than blunt. I thought I saw somewhere that this was a rental bike. If so that opens up all sorts of possibilities. Not saying Alex was wrong in any way. Maybe the shock failed? All sorts of possible. But the evidence is just that. We may never know what caused it. If there are additional similar failures then Spot will need to respond. Until then, cut everyone some slack. Probably 1000s of carbon frames break every year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah, I decided on my own to just delete the posts I made because thesmokingman continued to whine and personally call me out for only giving my opinion and offering information. Iíve ridden a spot bike and actually thought very highly of the brand but itís very important to remember that products and companies can always improve for themselves as well as their customers.

I look forward to seeing this discussion grow into how the bike performs and different setups people build. Being a Yeti owner I appreciate a unique suspension design and kinematics which the Spot brand bikes have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Some good lessons here, for me anyway. I did the UPS shuttle on my Yeti 4.5 and had way too little air in the shock too. The ring was at the bottom of the shaft. Bike was new. I had no issues but after 2-3 rides, I figured out I had too little air and aired it up by another 30-35 PSI. Now I feel like I get to little travel so need to try tokens but will keep a close eye on the shock pressure.

I agree he should have looked at the bike carefully after that cracking sound. However, nothing may have been evident either. Another lesson...hear a weird sound- examine bike. I bet Spot redesigns something in the next iteration though. The drops on Porc Rim come fast but they are not big drops except for one. So glad he was not badly hurt. A bad crash could end a biking career.

Poser
    Ride report:

Did Chesebro Sheep Corral yesterday, and boy do I love this bike with 2.8s. I have never had so much fun on a bike. This says a lot more about my history of bikes and my improving fitness than it does about the Rollik itself, but still, what a great set of improvements, both bike and self (for me).

1) Steeper seat tube. I never thought my 5010s seat tube was really a problem ever, I just never thought of it, since it was my first modern geo bike after 10 years off. But how did seat tubes get so slack? To keep weight back while going down? Who's on their butt when going down anyway? The Rollik is way easier to get forward on for short steeps. Seems like a no brainer.

2) 2.8 tires. I know this has not even close to Rollik specific, but 2.8 Rekons are light enough it barely feels heavier, but with all the fun of that fat contact patch. The volume is fun too. Take a lot of vibration out. Love it. I think it complements everything else about the bike well, but what do I know?

3) Rollik has that little bit of sproing in the back end that helps on climbs. Really like it. They should lose the living link tag and just call it "S.P.R.O.I.N.G". People reading this considering a Rollik, the Living Link carbon link, while it sounds gimmicky, it does do something unique to any other bike out there. You need to try it to see if it's your cup-o-tea, before dismissing as a gimmick.

4) And of course me and my riding buddies spent 10 minutes while suiting up talking about the STS break. I pointed out that "X", indeed marks the Spot where the bottom edge of the rocker link would contact in a hard bottom out. I have a hard time thinking it was a layup fault now.

One buddy stands by the assertion that even then, that should never be an issue with a design. I countered with, maybe originally the design was specced to have a shock with a little bit shorter stroke and it would never happen in the computer, but when reality happened, something went wrong. Only longer stroke shocks were avail at shipping time? I'm just uselessly speculating.

If it was truly a design decision question like "well, that contact should never be a real issue because who would be bottoming out so hard repeatedly. At that point all bets are off", then well, never underestimate the masses. And that there would be the "flaw".

Steve said it first: "What a fun bike!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If you take all of the air out of the shock and compress it, will the upper link hit the seat tube? (I tried it on a Mayhem and it doesn't contact the seat tube with all of the air out at the end of the shock travel.)

Even if it didn't, if you bottomed out and it didn't contact, it would still put a tremendous amount of force on the seat tube.

Quote Originally Posted by direktor View Post
    Uh. You know I read this comment earlier and I didnít think much of it, but then I went and looked at my bike and realized...

If the upper rocker truly went too far in a bottom out, the edge of it would smack right in the middle of the Textreme logo. Right where Alexís broke.

I understand thatís what A Lumpkin said, but itís really pretty clear if you read the words and then take a look at the layout.

Not conclusive by any means, but...Iím not very concerned anymore about my own bike.

Poser

Spot Rollik 607

Quote Originally Posted by fastpath View Post
    If you take all of the air out of the shock and compress it, will the upper link hit the seat tube? (I tried it on a Mayhem and it doesn't contact the seat tube with all of the air out at the end of the shock travel.)
    Finally got around to this. It doesnít on the Rollik either. BUT, the break is RIGHT where the rocker would contact. Which brings me back to a shock stroke question.

So who knows. Seems like too much of a coincidence for it to break right there without a rocker strike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Gotta say, I'm pretty interested in this bike. I rode the 557 last year at Outerbike-CB and really liked it although now I wish I had spent more time on it. Love the 607's updated geo, threaded BB and sexy look. Until now I've been set on an Evil Calling or Mach 5.5 but the Rollik seems like a better value than either. If anybody's tried the Calling or the 5.5 let me know how they compare to the 607. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Neither the Evil or the Pivot have the 76 degree seat tube angle of the Rollik. This comes into play when deciding between sizes. The steeper seat tube angle would let you upsize without experiencing a light front end on steeper climbs. If you are a tweener for sizing, this makes a difference. For me, at 5' 11", I'm always between a M or L. I would not upsize with an Evil or a Pivot. Cheers J

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Interesting. I'm the same height and it def gets old choosing between M or L. Thanks for getting back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've ridden the calling a tiny bit in moab, and spent a lot oftime on a mach 5.5.

I wouldn't buy any of these bikes based on price alone. They're all expensive, premium bikes with very different personalities.

The mach 5.5 is a great bike. For my style, I'd rate it a 7 in the climbs and a 9 on the descents. Its the plushest feeling bikes I've ridden, without feeling like a soggy wet noodle. It gobbles up chunk. Its biggest downsides for me were the wide swingarm that contacts my knees, the slack sta, the way the front end wanders on technical climbs, the insane price, and the bobbing I experienced when climbing. It's still in my top 5 favorite descenders. I felt like the switchblade was a more balanced bike that sacrificed 5% of the plush feeling for a more aggressive and responsive ride. I could be very happy one switchblade, but I like the rollik better.

I dont have enough time on a calling to compare, other than to say the calling rides like a much bigger travel bike. I dont live the way it climbs, and it's very heavy, but it's a beast on the downs.

The rollik has a super lively feel. Even though I live for the downs, I enjoy climbs too. This is hands down the best climbing bike I've ridden (tied with the spot mayhem). I get zero rear shock movement with the lever wide open, and it has a little extra spring in its step. I feel this on every climb. It's like the bike travels 1 foot farther than you expected it to every pedal stroke. It moves forward with so little effort. I'd rather pedal this bike uphill over any other bike. The closest bike I am compare it to on the climbs (apart from another spot) is a yeti sb5+. It accelerates so quickly (like when you're in your granny going super slow and you need a burst of speed to sprint up a technical climb). I think a mayhem would be my #1 choice for a 40-50 mile epic day. It rides extremely light and quick on the ups.

The downhill performance is where personal preference will come into play. I see downhill performance as a continuum, where on the left you want to feel every feature and get tons of trail feedback, and on the right you have a plush plow bike that monster trucks over everything. It's hard to place where this bike fits on the continuum. If you want to erase the trail and feel like you're on a magic carpet ride (linear/coil feel), this isnt the bike for you. For that stuff, I'd stick with something like a yt capra, a nomad, a mach 6 or firebird, etc.

To me, the rollik feels in between a mach 5.5 and an ibis hd4 on the downs. Its got plenty of travel when you're in the chunky fast stuff, but it doesnt erase the trail. You can still push against the ground with your weight at any time. It pumps well. It jumps so well. Every time I hit a jump, I end up boosting a bit higher than expected. And its not a boost like having too fast rear rebound, it's totally controlled. This bike really rewards an active rider. Its tons of fun to manual things and it loves to get airborne and carve corners.

If your goal is to completely erase the trail, there are better bikes, but if you like to feel and pop off every root/bump, I've never ridden anything else like it. It's really hard to explain.

It's really tough to describe the feel of the bike in words. I really recommend you try one and dont let a $400 price difference sway you on any bike. My advice is always to buy the bike that speaks to you and your riding style, not the bike that has the biggest discount.

Right now i'm experimenting with volume spacers in the rear shock. The last part of the rear travel is more linear than I'm used to. It feels great on the trail, and I haven't felt any bottomouts, but I've pushed the ring to the end on big stuff, and I'd love a bit of insurance to make sure I dont bottom it out. I'll be reaching out to spot to see if they have any rear shock settings they love.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 05-04-2018 at 01:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm between a small and med. I went with the small. On jumps and corners, I'm glad I went with the small. On steep double black terrain I wish I had a medium.

Since most of my riding involves corners and jumps, I feel like I made the right decision.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Confused a little. Despite everyone's feelings getting hurt by Andrew's response, why does everyone assume it's Spots fault and the rider had nothing to do with it?
    Can you think of any example of a metal bike catastrophically coming apart while the rider is on it and doing what it is designed to do?

I can understand a plastic bike breaking in a crash, but that's not what we're talking about here.

A 2' drop is not out of the ordinary for a trail bicycle. I probably hit a feature like that every time I ride and I have only been mountain biking for 6 months.

There is no set of circumstances, suspension setup properly or not, where a mountain bicycle frame should come apart under the rider from a 2' drop.

Unless Alex took a sawzall and cut a good size chunk out of that seat tube before he took the bike for a ride, there is no explanation that can make this okay.

The real question should be whether this was a deliberate design flaw (frame not strong enough to withstand normal riding with potentially marginal suspension setup) or if this was a legitimate manufacturing defect (design was strong enough, but this particular frame was not manufactured correctly and failed from what would have otherwise been fine).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A few things.

1) We are watching an abbreviated edit of a multi-hour trail. Lots happens off camera. Only Alex knows what happened, and there's a chance that even he wasn't aware of any stress cracks or impacts. When I film a hike with my dog and I don't show him drinking water, people always comment "Why don't you ever water your dog? He looks thirsty." They seem to forget that an edit is a collection of snippets, not a complete historical reference of all that happened. Nobody wants to watch every time my dog takes a drink, and nobody wants to watch a 6 hour video of a ride. We want the highlights, and that's what we got.

I'm not accusing Alex of covering anything up. The simple fact of editing video is that you can't show everything that happens in a give day. The point is, we really don't have the whole story in a 13min video. All we can do is make assumptions of what happened between the clips we saw, and that's a dangerous way to come to conclusions. Did he crash it 100 times? Did it fly off a cliff? Did he carry it down the hill in bubble wrap? We'll never know because we simply don't have all the facts.

2) Even though it looks small on camera (the GoPro effect), that isn't a 2 foot drop. It's a 4-6 foot drop, depending on where you take off from and where you land. Regardless, any bike these days should be able to handle a 10+ foot drop with a proper landing. I've had my Rollik off bigger drops, and I've hit 10' gap jumps on it with zero issues.

3) Alex crashed the bike several times before the 4' drop. The drop wasn't his first 1 min on the bike, and I speculate it wasn't the point of the first failure. None of us have all the facts, but I'm surprised that everyone is assuming the first time the frame was compromised was on that 4-6 foot drop. Yes, that's when we hear the first audible crack, but we have no idea what happened to it before then. He hit that drop smooth, and we see him hit more jarring stuff before then, so I really doubt that was the first moment of failure. I think we're hearing a previous fracture get bigger. That being said... all I can do is speculate, since I have the same limited info as everyone else.

4) I'm assuming he rode the same bike the day before as well (see his previous video) where he ditched the bike manualling it and looping out. He's a great rider, but he isn't afraid to push his limits, which often results in crashes, sometimes involving him ditching the bike. It is completely possible to drop a carbon bike at 0 mph and get a catastrophic chip/impact in the frame. That chip will end up fracturing and growing after 20 more miles of punishing terrain, including drops and square edge rocks.

Put another way, if I tip my bike over at the trailhead and it slams into the ground and hits the only small rock around, it can still catastrophically destroy the frame. It just takes one unfortunate rock strike to a vulnerable area, and this will grow to a catastrophic failure over time. I won't fault my manufacturer for that; it's simply the nature of carbon. We all know that carbon doesn't do well with sharp impacts.

Note: I'm m assuming an assumption that he rode the same bike on day 1 as he did on day 2 (or was the whole enchilada day 3 or 4?). The reason I assume this, is because if everyone grabbed a different bike every day, they'd have to pull out the shock pump and reset sag, rebound, and compression settings for the entire group. With a group that size, it'd take forever. If I were running a tour group, I'd keep everyone on the same bike through the week for various reasons.

The truth is, we don't know what happened, other than the frame eventually catastrophically cracked at the end. I'm so glad Alex wasn't hurt, but I'm not worried about my Rollik randomly breaking off a 6 foot drop. I've got 100 miles on my Rollik so far, with multiple 10 foot gaps, and 4 foot drops, and I"m not going to be taking it easy. If I do hear anything, or if I notice any stress cracks or fracturese, I'll share my experiences. In the mean time, i'll keep enjoying this awesome bike. I bought it before Alex cracked his rental, and I'm going to ride the heck out of it.

I'd love to have a separate thread for Alex's video and all the speculation of what happened; the two separate convos on this thread are confusing and getting in the way of this thread.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 05-03-2018 at 06:18 PM.

mtbr member
    sixstringsteve - you are 100% on the mark. Your description of how the Rollik rides I completely agree with. Great description. Your analysis of the whole Alex breaks a carbon bike.. exactly. Alex seems like a great guy and he's very entertaining to watch, I wish him well in his youtube adventures. He does seem more focused on the experience rather than the bike technology, components, configuration, etc. Thats fine, I understand that he doesn't want push or promote any one vendor or technology, but the engineer in me would love to see him do a "bike check" to show the viewers what he's working with before every ride.. I don't know, maybe its something he'll consider after his Rollik experience.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think its been stated but there is no single bike manufacturer that hasn't had their bikes break - alloy, steel, carbon - period. Heck some companies have disappeared completely or almost disappeared because of sooooo many failures. Some have much higher instances of failure than others and some have done a good job of keeping failures quiet via fast replacements of frames, swingers etc... dont let the fact it didnt happen on a video post lull you into thinking "x-brand" bikes dont break...

Ive been on a Rollik 557 for 18 months now. it has been abused due to the fact Im not the most skilled downhill rider and many times hold on from the back seat while letting the bike save my bacon... its banged into some huge square edge rocks, been catapulted into rock gardens, its been bottomed likely too many times, i've ruined some rims/tires - but the bike itself is not showing ANY signs of concern....

i guess what Im saying is - I trust the Spot team, this bike, the design and the carbon layup/high end factory they are using. Could the issue have resulted from the .00??% tolerance in manufacturing process issue that was not discovered? who knows - and unfortunately in manufacturing there is no 100% perfect in anything... from fruit of the looms to ferrarris'

I also very much agree w six strings review of this bike - (well - my experience is 557) - its active and engaging - climbs with aplomb and can dance and plow going down. The only thing holding it back is me!

I am just glad that Alex is ok and able to walk away - heck - he's living the life i'd be living if i hadn't been born a generation too soon!! (btw - wasn't the bike ridden out the next 8 miles - ridden not walked? if i understand the story correctly?)

I believe Spot will do everything they can do on their end to understand what happened. I'll very likely buy another Spot. Can i say with 100% certainty there may not be another bike/brand that finds its way into my garage? No. I demo bikes and buy the one the speaks to me. When i bought the Rollik i demoed a LOT of other bikes and nothing spoke to me like the 557.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I know a few people are wondering about shock pressures. I'm running 110% of my body weight, and it seems to be doing really well. I checked with SPOT, and it's right on their recommended starting point as well. I'm sitting at 25-30% sag.

I'm going to experiment with a bigger volume spacer in the rear shock and see if that changes the feel at all.

Poser
    I'm running 110% of my body weight, and it seems to be doing really well. I checked with SPOT, and it's right on their recommended starting point as well. I'm sitting at 25-30% sag.
    I thought they said 85%?

As it turns out, it seems more like 90% is getting me to 33%-ish sag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I thought they said 85%?

85% is what they recommend for dps shock. Basically you can run the shock soft because that is affecting sump pump and initial shock stroke and feel. Mid range the living link takes over. Deeper hits relys on the shock tuning. The DPX2 seems to be able to be set with a little higher pressure.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I thought they said 85%?

I am set at 110% also. It is working perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looking at the 5-star build on Spot's website; anybody know what the X1 carbon crank is? I've seen the X01 & XX1 and know those are carbon, but didn't know about the X1.

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjc21 View Post
    Looking at the 5-star build on Spot's website; anybody know what the X1 carbon crank is? I've seen the X01 & XX1 and know those are carbon, but didn't know about the X1.
    Looks like an OE version:

http://forums.mtbr.com/sram/new-sram...k-1016464.html

Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
    Thatís what I was told by Spot, itís a version for OEMs. I couldnít identify it either even after it was sitting in front of me after opening the box. Decided to call to find out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I finished building my Rollik 607 just before my trip to Sedona back in early March. Wow, what a bike! I had been on an older Yeti SB5C, which I really liked, but this just does everything better. Descends better, rails the turns better, climbs better, stiffer and is just plain fun. I couldn't be happier. I built mine up with a pike fork, derby 35 rims, onyx hubs, XO Eagle drivetrain, king headset, RSC brakes, 2.35 Magic Mary up front, 2.35 Nobby Nic in back, Bike Yoke 160 dropper, Deity bars & stem, Shimano Pro saddle, Togs, Timber Mountain bike bell and Oury lock on grips. Right at 29lbs with Shimano XTR pedals.

Super lucky to break it in at Sedona for a week. It was an easy bike to transition to. I didn't really need any time to get used to how it handles. Stoked!

Not sure why it posted my image vertically as it is horizontal on my computer?

Spot Rollik 607-img_9809.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^Awesome build you did there. Looks good with the Pike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...ot-rollik-607/

Good press starting to roll in. This echoes a lot of comments you made sixstringsteve.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    All these ambulance chasers don't even own Spots ie:Are objectively clueless. I have owned the Rollik 557 since inception (3500 miles on dirt) and now have the 607. I'm 205 loaded and run 230 lbs in the DPX 2. I think that works out to 17mm sag. Cheers J

PS: Pretty sure if Alexander was on his Diamondback the video edit may look a little different.
    I donít get the Diamondback comment. Honest question...What would have been different? If the DB woulda been a worse break, why?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    I donít get the Diamondback comment. Honest question...What would have been different? If the DB woulda been a worse break, why?
    (He's "sponsored" by Diamondback)

mtbr member
    Ahhhh. Iím picking up what youíre laying down. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    Ahhhh. Iím picking up what youíre laying down. Thanks.
    In his video description, he's fishing by writing that its a mystery breakage, so everyone is on the look out to find a culprit. Would he have done that with his sponsor, most doubtful right?

mtbr member
    True. But please donít let me hijack the thread. I was honestly just wondering. I didnít know he was sponsored.

mtbr member
    Just finished my Rollik. Transferred all of the components from my HD3. First ride was good, but too short. Will report back later...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Steve, your YT vid of that Mayhem ride, and the Bike mag post of the 607 from Sedona a month or so ago got me started on the 607. I was about to order an Insurgent from Jenson, but the 607 seemed to tick a lot of boxes.

I love mine. Itís already got some mods because Iím used to Maguras and some Backcountry 360s come tomorrow so I can run Rekon 2.8s.

I hope this bike picks up speed. Spot deserves it.

Were you able to fit the 2.8s? Spot says that 2.6 is the max, but it does seem like you could fit a 2.8 in there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    rmanalan Looks great! Try a Magic Mary up front. It is truly a magical tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Can you think of any example of a metal bike catastrophically coming apart while the rider is on it and doing what it is designed to do?

I can understand a plastic bike breaking in a crash, but that's not what we're talking about here.

A 2' drop is not out of the ordinary for a trail bicycle. I probably hit a feature like that every time I ride and I have only been mountain biking for 6 months.

There is no set of circumstances, suspension setup properly or not, where a mountain bicycle frame should come apart under the rider from a 2' drop.

Unless Alex took a sawzall and cut a good size chunk out of that seat tube before he took the bike for a ride, there is no explanation that can make this okay.

The real question should be whether this was a deliberate design flaw (frame not strong enough to withstand normal riding with potentially marginal suspension setup) or if this was a legitimate manufacturing defect (design was strong enough, but this particular frame was not manufactured correctly and failed from what would have otherwise been fine).
    I don't want to get personal but if you've only be biking for 6 months, you're essentially clueless. I've been riding 30 years and have seen or read about every type and make of bike breaking. My buddies aluminum Santa Cruz Nomad snapped on the top tube while we were riding at 10 mph on a sidewalk. That was obviously a stress fracture from age and usage but it still happened for some reason. We also both cracked our aluminum GT LTS frames back in the day when they were the #1 bike company. Just google cracked MTB frame and stories of every single brand will come up. It happened to Yeti a few years back and they were vilified for their customer service. I had an SB5 and when I called or emailed a question to Yeti, I still say they are the least helpful companies I've ever dealt with. Ibis is the best.

You may be a fanboy of Alex but he is not a great rider. He's a shit-show on wheels at times. I guarantee you I wouldn't let him ride one of my bikes. I cringed watching him ride in that video. He's an accident looking for a place to happen.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Can anybody comment on the 2.6 nobby nics that come spec'd on the rollik? I ride in the front range/Denver area. Just ordered mine and trying to decide if I should get maxxis tires instead.
    Last edited by COBenG; 05-17-2018 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Bad Grammer

mtbr member
    I've been running on 2.6 NNs for the last 9 months (came spec'd on my HD3). I just swapped all my components to the 607. So, far I still like them. NNs are not often talked about, but I like them because they're fairly light and provide decent grip for most of the terrain I ride in (I'm in norcal). I run them on Derby rims with a 35 internal width... tends to flatten out the pattern a bit which is just perfect IMO.

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by COBenG View Post
    Can anybody comment on the 2.6 nobby nics that come spec'd on the rollik? I ride in the front range/Denver area. Just ordered mine and trying to decide if I should get maxxis tires instead.
    I was skeptical of the nobby nics. Too many flats and cut tires with Schwalbe in the past, and unpredictable traction specifically with the nn as a front tire, but (knock on wood) I've had good luck with the 2.6s on my Rollik. No flats (yes seriously jinxed now) and great traction with a predictable surfy feel when they do lose bite. Been riding the front range, Buffalo Creek and Utah. I'm a maxxis fanboy and bought a DHF/DHR II set when I ordered the bike anticipating needing to switch, but haven't. The Rollik 607 corners and handles incredibly well, not sure what role, if any, the 2.6 tires play in that. I may switch up to the 2.5 DHF/DHR II just to experiment.

I can't ride 45!
    Right now i'm experimenting with volume spacers in the rear shock. The last part of the rear travel is more linear than I'm used to. It feels great on the trail, and I haven't felt any bottomouts, but I've pushed the ring to the end on big stuff, and I'd love a bit of insurance to make sure I dont bottom it out. I'll be reaching out to spot to see if they have any rear shock settings they love.
    Any report back on volume spacer and shock setup? I wanted a more progressive end-stroke so Spot built mine up with a spacer, but I'm unsure of the size. I have a spacer kit on order so curious what your experiments have found.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nope, I haven't picked up a volume spacer yet. The end of the stroke feels great, but I am using all my travel a little more than I'd like (8+ times on a ride at downieville today).

It comes stock with 0.2mm spacer. I'm planning on trying a 0.6mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Just bought the 4-start Rollik 607, and am loving this bike so far. It climbs so well and is so much more poppy and playful than you think a bike with this much travel should be. I have 3 rides on it so far and am working on dialing in the rear suspension. My first ride I inflated the dpx2 to 110% of my weight and It felt a little stiff and harsh in the rear, so mid ride I took some air out and it felt a little better. Before my next ride I was reading the setup instructions from the Spot website and it said to dial the compression tuning all the way down to start out with and dial it up from there for more compression support as needed. I checked mine and it was about 5 clicks from all the way open, so I dialed back to full open and set the PSI back to 110% of body weight. My next ride felt awesome with a nice plush feeling while climbing and traveling at slower speeds while maintaining a firm pedal platform. I do notice though, that I tend to use full or close to full travel even without going off any huge drops or riding really rowdy terrain. I haven't felt any bottom outs while riding, and it feels really good going off drops, it has a bottomless feel to it. Since I don't feel any bottom outs maybe it is perfect and shouldn't worry about it, but I can't help feeling like it would be nice to have a little extra ramp up at the end. I think part of why this suspension design feels so good is the living link creates a nice linear travel progression, but maybe that come at a cost of less bottom out protection? My Dpx2 on the 4 star just has the 1 compression adjustment, not the the high and low speed. Are people on the 5 and 6 star using their high speed adjustment to help with this? Maybe a bigger spacer would help? Ill probably call spot tomorrow to get their take. In contrast I am finding that I have yet to come close to using all of the travel in the fox 36 and will probably be removing the 1 spacer it comes with.

mtbr member
    The Rollik absolutely rips... most fun 27.5" bike I've ridden in the last few years.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    The Rollik absolutely rips... most fun 27.5" bike I've ridden in the last few years.

I agree with this 100%. The bike is just a blast.

Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by rmanalan View Post
    Were you able to fit the 2.8s? Spot says that 2.6 is the max
    2.8 Rekons are fine. But they measure like 2.65 on my calipers.

I have 3.0s on another bike and even those would fit, but it'd be tight and prob not smart.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For anyone running larger tires than 2.6, I recommend deflating the rear shock and cycling it through its travel to ensure the tire wont hit the seat tube on bottom out.

The more I ride this bike, the better it gets. Absolutely phenomenal bike. The only upgrades I've done so far is to swap the 36 for an mrp ribbon. I also upgraded the rotor size. I run a 200mm front rotor and 180mm rear rotor. Big difference. I've got ESI extra chunky grips on too, but that's hardly worth mentioning. I'd also love to swap the saddle for a WTB volt. I don't care for the silverado.

I'm loving the tomato red too. I'm not usually a red fan, but this red has a personality of its own. I'm so pleased with this bike.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to your official review, Steve. Loving mine so far. Best bike I've had hands down. I'm running mine with a Pike... The ribbons are that good, huh?
    For anyone running larger tires than 2.6, I recommend deflating the rear shock and cycling it through its travel to ensure the tire wont hit the seat tube on bottom out.

The more I ride this bike, the better it gets. Absolutely phenomenal bike. The main upgrade I've done so far is to swap the 36 for an mrp ribbon. I also upgraded the rotor size. I run a 200mm front rotor and 180mm rear rotor. Big difference.

I'm loving the tomato red too. I'm not usually a red fan, but this red has a personality of its own. I'm so pleased with this bike.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to your official review, Steve. Loving mine so far. Best bike I've had hands down. I'm running mine with a Pike... The ribbons are that good, huh?

Here she is at Skegg's...

mtbr member
    2.8 Rekons are fine. But they measure like 2.65 on my calipers.

I have 3.0s on another bike and even those would fit, but it'd be tight and prob not smart.
    A full 2.8 is really close to the stays. My 2.6 NNs on 35i Derbys measure 2.55"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm running mine with a Pike... The ribbons are that good, huh?
    Yes they are, but I'm biased. MRP is one of the companies we partner with, so it's imposisble to be unbiased. That being said, when Tess and I were discussion which suspension company we wanted to partner with, MRP was at the top of the list. We reached out to them, and they love what Tess is doing on the channel, and they wanted to partner. We wouldn't have gone to them if I hadn't loved their product. My favorite forks (in order) are the MRP Ribbon, Cane Creek Helm, Pike/Lyric, then the Fox 34, then the Fox 36. Nothing wrong with the 36, I just prefer the feel of the other forks more. In fact, I have 2 like new fox 36s from our rolliks for sale. 2 rides each...

The MRP has some amazing adjustment available with it. I don't love how loud it is (it "whooshes" like a fox), but the ride is phenomenal. If you are a "set it and forget it" kind nof guy, or you don't understand much about suspension tuning, it may not be your jam. It's not complex, but it has such a huge range of adjustment, with a custom tunable negative spring, that you can get it to feel exactly how you want. I REALLY like my ribbon, or else I wouldn't ride one.

In fact, other companies have offered us free products/sponsorship (including free bikes), but I still chose to pay for my Rollik. That's saying something about this bike. The same goes for MRP. I only partner with companies that I'm totally thrilled with their products.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Just curious how others are setting up the dpx2. Are people keeping the compression damping (with the 3mm dial)
    all the way open and going with 110% of riding weight? Also anybody experiment with volume spacers, specifically going with 0.8 or bigger?
    Last edited by COBenG; 06-04-2018 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Addition

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just curious how others are setting up the dpx2. Are people keeping the compression damping (with the 3mm dial)
    all the way open and going with 110% of riding weight? Also anybody experiment with volume spacers, specifically going with 0.8 or bigger?
    On Mayhem, about 10 lbs less than weight. All the way open dial.

I can't ride 45!
    Ok, got the DPX2 volume spacer kit and have started experimenting. My Rollik was setup with .6 cubic inch spacer stock by request. I replaced it with the 1.2 cubic inch spacer to test one extreme thinking I would end up in the middle, but so far I love the softer initial stroke and more progressive end stroke with the largest spacer. Much more active and controlled in the rough and through successive hitsĖand I'm not using full travel on mellower trails like before. It does introduce more motion into the bike and marginally takes away from the firm and planted feeling the bike has stock, but for me it is a better balance. I've tested at Buffalo Creek, Apex, and a two other CO mountain rides.

So I went from pressure of 110% weight, 8 clicks of compression (from full open), and 4 clicks of rebound (from full fast) with the .6 cubic in. volume spacer to 90%, 3, and 5 with the 1.2 cubic in. spacer.

Curious to hear what others are learning as they experiment with suspension setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I plan on running 110% and a bigger volume spacer. I don't need more supple, I just want a little more bottom out resistance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Steve,

Since you've ridden them both at least as much as everyone else (prolly more), if you HAD to pick only one btwn the 607 and Mayhem, what's your choice?

mtbr member
    Hmmm.... I'm mostly a 29er guy, so I'd probably go with a Mayhem with the 140mm fork and a DPX2 in the back. That's probably the "ultimate" do-it-all setup IMO. Of course, this is for the terrain that I personally ride (mostly in CO, but quite a bit elsewhere in the southwest, trending towards "trail" riding vs all-mountain or enduro).

For what it's worth, here's my Cliffs Notes version of the two bikes:

Rollik: SUPER playful, amazingly fun bike that still pedals quite well for a 6" travel 27.5 bike. Wouldn't be afraid to take it on a 25-30 mile ride.

Mayhem: Very efficient climber, surprisingly burly on the DHs, and you can ride it all day long. Wouldn't blink twice at riding something like the Whole Enchilada or Hangover/Hiline with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    So I talked to Paul about setting up my dpx2, he suggested I first try adding more air to prevent using all of the travel so easily. I went from 180psi to 190 psi which is about 118% if my body weight. So far in the trails I have ridden this feels good, still active in the initial part of the travel but not using all of it on blue trails. Seems to match the amount of travel I use on the fork now. Still have the compression damping all the way open.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    After talking to Paul again, I got some clarification. These DPX2 shocks come with a 0.6mm spacer, not a 0.2mm. 0.6mm is the largest that Fox recommends for this shock, but I'm still going to experiment with a slightly larger spacer if I can. The end stroke of the shock doesn't ramp up as much as I'd like. I'll probably try closer to 120% psi too.

I've been riding this bike through some chunky stuff lately: drops, gap jumps, and some really big rocks. It has handled the chunk great, but I recommend taking it easy on drops. With how regressive the leverage curve is at the end, I could see the bike slamming into the last part of its travel on a really big drop and causing issues.

I'll be dialing my riding back a bit until I can get the shock to the point that it's not using the last 10% of its travel on everyday rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    After talking to Paul again, I got some clarification. These DPX2 shocks come with a 0.6mm spacer, not a 0.2mm. 0.6mm is the largest that Fox recommends for this shock, but I'm still going to experiment with a slightly larger spacer if I can. The end stroke of the shock doesn't ramp up as much as I'd like. I'll probably try closer to 120% psi too.

I've been riding this bike through some chunky stuff lately: drops, gap jumps, and some really big rocks. It has handled the chunk great, but I recommend taking it easy on drops. With how regressive the leverage curve is at the end, I could see the bike slamming into the last part of its travel on a really big drop and causing issues.

I'll be dialing my riding back a bit until I can get the shock to the point that it's not using the last 10% of its travel on everyday rides.

Hey Steve, Steven here I commented on youtube asking about pedals and such. Well my Mayhem showed up, I got it from Spot with 140mm Fox 36 fork and the Dpx2 rear shock, so its setup is really close to the Rollik. Well Im encountering the same concerns with shock travel headed close to bottom out even at 120% weight. I just got my spacer kit from Fanatik Bike, I opened up the rear shock and found a 0.2mm spacer installed stock from spot! So I installed a 0.6mm. Right off the bat I can tell I like the 0.6 it just seems more poppy and less prone to bottom out. Interesting that a 0.2 is what mine came with Im sure thats due to the Mayhems setup, but still just didnt seem right. Keep us updated if you get to experiment with yours I think Ive found the Spot for mine with the 0.6!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cool, sounds like the 0.6 was the ticket. I need to pull mine apart and see what's inside. I wonder if the Rollik 607 has a different internal volume reducer than the DPx2 on the mayhem?

Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yeah no problem, thank you for the info. So Im curious, how is your wifes rollik working out for her, suspension feeling good? Is she using too much rear travel with her rider weight or non concern? Id like to know if all the rolliks are shipping with 0.6mm installed or what.. It should be noted that I am 175lbs geared up, I have the 0.6 spacer installed and its now perfect. No more using 95% of travel on light trails like the 0.2 was doing. Only on big hits. I havent mentioned my feelings about this bike yet. Its FANTASTIC! all around perfect bike for my riding, plush yet firm pedaling for sure, I noticed my seating position while pedaling is so perfect on this thing that I used to get knee cap pain on my old bike and that has vanished! Its a more upright position that you can get more power into pedal strokes, its freakin sweet!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Tess loves her rollik. She rides so well on it. She's still dialing in the fork (MRP ribbon), but the rear shock is using all its travel. I'd like to add a bigger volume spacer for her too. She uses almost all her rear travel on all trails.

mtbr member
    Rollik: SUPER playful, amazingly fun bike that still pedals quite well for a 6" travel 27.5 bike. Wouldn't be afraid to take it on a 25-30 mile ride.

Mayhem: Very efficient climber, surprisingly burly on the DHs, and you can ride it all day long. Wouldn't blink twice at riding something like the Whole Enchilada or Hangover/Hiline with it.
    I definitely prefer 27.5 bikes in Sedona up on Hangover. Plenty of tight stuff up there and on the Hogs stuff as well. A 29er on Hiline....no problem.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I definitely prefer 27.5 bikes in Sedona up on Hangover. Plenty of tight stuff up there and on the Hogs stuff as well. A 29er on Hiline....no problem.
    I rode my Rollik 607 all over Sedona this past March. I did pretty much all the main trails plus some except Hangover, and it was awesome. I have done numerous rides in the PNW in the 25-30 mile range with 4500' of climbing/descending and it is fabulous. I came off a Yeti SB5c which is a great bike, but I like the Rollik more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by streighty View Post
    I rode my Rollik 607 all over Sedona this past March. I did pretty much all the main trails plus some except Hangover, and it was awesome. I have done numerous rides in the PNW in the 25-30 mile range with 4500' of climbing/descending and it is fabulous. I came off a Yeti SB5c which is a great bike, but I like the Rollik more.
    I had the original SB5 as well. Maybe the best bike I ever owned overall. I'm still near even seen a Spot, much less ridden one.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I rode hangover on the rollik and it was fantastic.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast