Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spot Rollik 607

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ive been riding my rollik in a few bike parks lately and i feel like i have the rear suspension perfect.

Im ruujing a 0.86 volume reducer in the rear with 110% of my weight in psi in the shock. Ive had it off jumps, drops, and big chunky sections, and i still haven't bottomed it out. Ive got about 2% left in the stroke after a hard day at the bike park and thats right where i want to be. It rides better like this than 120% of my weight with the 0.6 spacer.

Last week a buddy and i rode deer valley in park city, UT. It was the perfect bike for that terrain. It handled the double black diamonds so well, and i never felt like i needed more travel. I love the way this thing corners when things get tight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Mine feels lighter than my 2016 bronson, but thats just a seat of the pants scale. I haven't weighed my bikes in years. Weight is usually the last priority when i upgrade my bike. Aside from my hubs, my bike should be pretty light.

Im sure theres a lighter dropper than a bike yoke revive, but its so reliable, smooth, ans well built that i dont mind. Same for my onyx hubs and my 2.6 tires.

I can barely tell the difference when my water bottle is full vs empty on my bike. That being said... now im curious to throw it on a scale and see what it weighs.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
    Ive been riding my rollik in a few bike parks lately and i feel like i have the rear suspension perfect.

Im ruujing a 0.86 volume reducer in the rear with 110% of my weight in psi in the shock. Ive had it off jumps, drops, and big chunky sections, and i still haven't bottomed it out. Ive got about 2% left in the stroke after a hard day at the bike park and thats right where i want to be. It rides better like this than 120% of my weight with the 0.6 spacer.

Last week a buddy and i rode deer valley in park city, UT. It was the perfect bike for that terrain. It handled the double black diamonds so well, and i never felt like i needed more travel. I love the way this thing corners when things get tight.
    Dang I wish I would have been up there that day. I have a season pass and have not seen another 607 there. I love my Rollik also at DV. It handles everything so well. Its always giving me a perma grin. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    IIl be riding dv at least once more this month. The 607 handled fireswamp like a champ.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    IIl be riding dv at least once more this month. The 607 handled fireswamp like a champ.
    Drop me a note when you go. Maybe we can hook up for a few laps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    How is this bike climbing chunky trails? Here in the NE, smooth isn't prevalent at all...
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon X01

Still chuggin' along
    +1
    Lots of tight, rooty,trails with steep but short ups and downs.
    Make Everyday your Masterpiece - George Michael

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Its fantastic for that. I know the ne has a lot of short punchy, chunky climbs. So does the west. Its fantastic for that style of riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks Steve. Two hesitations buying unseen (and I know you are against it, as am I though I have before with my current ride of 3 years).

1) is the seat tube angle. On my Bucksaw I find I run the seat all the way to the back out of comfort in relation to the B.B. but in reality the distance to the bars might be playing a role with that. Salsa MTBs run small.

2) is feeling every single wrinkle on the trail. I dont know enough about why that is and if thats something that can be tuned out at the fork, within reason. I know tire volume and pressure can help, but right now i have too much tire and not enough acceleration. Yes, the rider is in need of losing 5 lbs and is hell bent to address that, but any education on the smoothing out would be great.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Jester7677; 08-28-2018 at 03:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I totally get it. Ask as many questions as possible, im happy to share my experiences.

I like the steeper sest tube angle. It keeps the front wheel down on climbs.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 08-29-2018 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    As a point of information, they seem to be sold out on all sizes except small currently. Paul said he expects stock in Sept.

Still chuggin' along
    Yes, except frame only or 4 star build. I wish they had a 3 star build, too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been playing the game of "what would a 3 star build look like?" Pretty fun game!

I REALLY like how SPOT specs their bikes. I don't think anyone specs bikes better. Santa Cruz comes in a close second (with good tires on every build). Aside from rotor size and a high engagement hub, I feel like SPOT's builds are perfect out of the box. I love the high end dropper they spec (that bikeyoke revive is hands down the best dropper I've ever used. Super reliable too). I love the suspension they choose, incredible cockpit/bars/stem/headset. They put money into specs that matter, and save where it's less apparent (GX Eagle, etc.). Even the tires that come on the SPOTs are great (though I'm generally more of a maxxis man).

A 4 star rollik is $4600. The most equivalent bike in Santa Cruz's lineup would be an S+ bronson at $5200 (and the Rollik is still specced a lot better).

The closest thing to a 3 star SPOT build would be similar a bottomm of the barrel R+ C Bronson ($4400).

This is a fun exercise, to imagine what a 3 star build would look like. Maybe something like this:

- NX eagle, NX cranks, shifter
    - Fox 34 performance or a Yari
    - cheap grips
    - Raceface aeffect dropper (not nearly as reliable as the bikeyoke revive)
    - raceface arc 30 wheels with novatec or sram hubs (which have issues)
    - raceface alloy bars 31.6mm diameter
    - cheap saddle
    - cheap tires
    - SRAM guide T brakes (yuck)

I'd guess that would put it 1-2lbs over the current weight of a 4 star and maybe $500-700 cheaper. This is all just a guess. Maybe $3900 for a complete? If so, that would be a great price for a complete spot, but if it were my bike, I'd end up replacing brakes, seatpost, tires, rear wheel/hub, and I'd feel like the bars/stem/cranks were pretty cheesy. But that's just me. It might put it in some people's budget, which is always a good thing.

Last year I bought a SC Chameleon with the R+ Spec (pretty much the above spec) and I've spent over $1500 upgrading it, and it's still got cheesy parts. It was the best build at the time, but I wish they had offered the 4 star build with my chameleon. I think the 4 star and 5 star builds are the best bang for the buck.

Personally, I think spot nailed it with the 4 star spec. Even the grips are good on these bikes. That never happens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    With their current labor day sale, the mayhems are now at 3 star pricing with a 4 star build. A complete 4 star for under $4k is amazing. That's $200 more than Yeti's new SB150 FRAME.

Still chuggin' along
    that's a great deal!! AND, they have a small matte hot tomato! Believe it or not, I'm still using my Avid Juicy's on my Turner XCE and I'd like to believe they really do have longevity in mind.I haven't ridden 27.5s yet but the 29er I tested (Niner Rip 9) did surprisingly well, very nimble (except for the brakes; I didn't care for the Guide Rs).

Still chuggin' along
    So, I just re-watched your wife's "first impression" of the Mayhem. And congrats on the new baby! How exciting!! I hope she's feeling well! I'm wondering how the 27.5 Mayhem compares to the Mojo 3 and 5010. My LBS won't have a 5010 until October to try and the closest Ibis dealer is too far away for a demo and they won't be near me for demo events until the end of Sept. ...after this sale is over, so I'm flying by the seats of my pants on this. Can you put 2.3 tires on the plus rims? Did your wife notice much of a difference in nimbleness between the Mayhem and Rollik? And does the Mayhem prefer to be planted or does it like being in the air, the way the Mojo 3 is described. I like to pop off roots and rocks and take harder lines.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks. All 4 are great bikes.

To me, the mayhem feels closer to a ripley than a mojo 3, but its more fun than a ripley (and more efficient too). The mojo 3 is super fun with those smaller wheels and tiny chainstays.

The mayhem is a really fun bike. Not as fun as the rollik in corners and jumps, but still fun. Its the most efficient bike of the bunch. I would pick it for xc, trail, and long days.

Mojo 3, rollik 607, and 5010 are a bit more playful with that super short chainstay. So slashing corners, hitting jumps, and wheelies/manuals will be more fun on those.

The mojo 3 is a super cool bike, especially for people who ride at intermediate or novice speeds. Once you start pushing your speed downhill and charging more aggressively, the mojo 3 starts to get a little out of its element. You'll be hard pressed to find the limit of the rollik 607 unless you're at a lift shuttled bike park hitting 10 foot drops.

I wouldn't recommend putting 2.3 tires on plus rims. Theyd be great on something 25-30mm wide though.

Yes, my wife and i both noticed a big difference between the mayhem and rollik. They have a similar suspension feel, but the rollik is a lot more playful to me due to the geo and shorter chainstays.

If you're over 5'9", you may love the mayhem's medium chainstays. Since my wife and i are short , we can maneuver the rollik a lot better.

The mayhem does fine in the air. it'll handle a playful rider well. Its only limitations on playfulness are the 440 chainstays.

If you like to pop off roots and rocks and take harder lines, i would really take a hard look at the rollik. Deoending on where you ride and how choppy it is, the rollik would be worth the extra $600 even though its not on sale. I recommend buying the right frame for your riding style, not just whats on the biggest discount.

If the rocks you ride are cantelope size or bigger, id look at the rollik. If the rocks and roots are smaller than a softball, id go with a mayhem, mojo 3, or 5010.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    As someone who owns all four bikes that you're asking about, I generally agree with Steve's assessment above. If you want to read more about the comparison, here are a couple blogs I published earlier in the year. Note- I don't run anything with plus tires on our demo bikes.

Bike Review: Spot Mayhem 509 29er – Chasing Epic Mountain Bike Adventures

Closer Look: Spot Rollik 607 – Chasing Epic Mountain Bike Adventures

I wouldn't hesitate to ride either the Rollik or the Mayhem on a 30+ mile epic in the Colorado mountains. And I also wouldn't hesitate to ride either of them on the Whole Enchilada in Moab. In fact, I've done both on both bikes and I have no complaints. The Rollik is surprisingly efficient for being a bigger 27.5" bike, and the Mayhem (with a 140 fork) is an amazingly stable trail bike you can ride all day long.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im glad you chimed in. I agree with everytging you said in those reviews. They're extremely well-written.

Ive only owned the 5010 and the rollik. My time on a mojo 3 and mayhem is limited. Your experience is always helpful. Im going to stsrt pointing people to your reviews when they ask about this bike.

I agree about the mayhem being a little tricky to dial in the rear suspension. There are some bikes that feel like they have more or less travel than stated. For example, an evil folliwing mb feels like way more than 120mm. A pivot mach 5.5 feels like way more than 145mm. A nronsom v2 feels like less than 150mm. The spot mayhem feels like exactly 130mm. I wont be mistaking it for a 150mm bike.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 08-30-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Still chuggin' along
    Thanks so much for your guys' help. I'm only 5'4" female, quickly approaching 50 so, this might be my last bike. I couldn't pass up the sale so, I've got a 29 Tomato Mayhem on the way :-) Can't wait!!

mtbr member
    I agree about the mayhem being a little tricky to dial in the rear suspension.
    Absolutely. I've found that with the suspension design, it's MUCH better to start with lower air pressure than too much. If you err on the high side, the bike rides like a hardtail. But I've found the sweet spot to be about 80% of body weight for both myself and my riders. That said, I also like using the climb switch on my rear shock, so it allows me to have a little bit stiffer setup on the climbs when I use "Climb" and "Trail".

Back to the regular posts about the Rollik- a super fun bike in its own right!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Spot just sent me the new volume spacer for the dpx2, the 1.02mm. What are people running for set-ups with the new spacer? 100%, 110%, more?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Run 30% sag and fine tune from there. The volume spacer will only affect the rampnup at the end of the stroke. Im running 110% with the 0.86 volume spacer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
    Spot just sent me the new volume spacer for the dpx2, the 1.02mm. What are people running for set-ups with the new spacer? 100%, 110%, more?
    I installed the 1.02 yesterday and ran 95% today ~30% sag. Primo . Rode at Soquel Demo all day... Lots of climbing, fast flow trails and decent sized drops and never bottomed out. Came about 10mm close, but never did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    thanks for the replies guys, i will start with 95-100% and go from there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DougA View Post
    As a point of information, they seem to be sold out on all sizes except small currently. Paul said he expects stock in Sept.
    Now November. (Sigh) No worries tho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougA View Post
    Now November. (Sigh) No worries tho.
    For what its worth, Ill have my demo Rolliks for sale in October. Ive got two mediums, a large and an XL.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I hear santa cruz has a similar problem with shipment dates getting pushed back. I heard a rumor that sram is the holdup and hasnt been able to get manufacturers the components they need in time. Who knows if there's any truth in that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I am looking hard at this bike...seems like it would be a great bike for my riding and terrain...lots of ups and downs! I'm coming off of a 2016 fuel 9.8 29er which I really like but I want something that is better on the downs and something that is poppy and maneuverable...lots of tight trails.

Does anyone have any feedback on the 4-star build? I'll probably upgrade wheels anyway so main difference seems to by gx vs xo1...I don't have experience with either. My current bike has xt stuff.....

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have the 4 star build and am happy with it, I think the main downside is the gx eagle cassette is a lot heavier than xo1, but I feel it functions just fine. I plan on keeping everything stock until the cassette wears out, then maybe upgrading just the cassette. I'm still not a huge fan of sram guide brakes as I am coming off xt brakes, I do plan on getting a bigger rear rotor. Suspension wise I am totally satisfied with the 4 star build, I don't feel like I am missing the extra high and low speed adjustability.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The 4 star build is great. The rollik will ride quite different from the fuel ex.

If you like 29ers and longer rides, the mayhem is amazing too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    yeah, I've demo'd a few different bikes. really liked the pivot 5.5...but if i could find something that climbed a little better i'd be happy.
    and of the bikes i've demo'd, i seem to prefer the smaller wheels. they just seem more responsive and fun. and thats what i'm looking...its all about fun, right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Perfect. The rollik is exactly what you described. It climbs better thsn a switchblade (and much better than a mach 5.5) and descends better (in my opinion) than both. The mach 5.5 is a little squishier, and the rollik is a little ore lively. The mach 5.5 erases the trail a little more than the rollik. However, if you want the rollik to erase the trail lkke a mach 5.5, you could always try a float x2.

The rollik is an incredible bike. It sounds like the perfect bike for what you're describing.

mtbr member
    If anyone's looking.... our Chasing Epic demo bikes are for sale, and they'll be shipping in a week or two. I've got four Rolliks for sale, all of them are 5-star builds (XO1, Fox Factory suspension, Stan's Flow MK3 wheels, BikeYoke Revive dropper, etc). Two mediums, one large and one XL.

$3500 each plus shipping. If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wow, thats a killer price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I love my rollik. At the moment im borrowing a 6 stsr mayhem 29 witg fox 36 and dpx2. Its fun comparing the two. I need more yime on thr mayhem, but its definitely faster on green/blue trails (which is what most of us ride 90% of the time anyway).

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I love my rollik. At the moment im borrowing a 6 stsr mayhem 29 witg fox 36 and dpx2. Its fun comparing the two. I need more yime on thr mayhem, but its definitely faster on green/blue trails (which is what most of us ride 90% of the time anyway).
    I'd be interested in a comparison. Love my Mayhem, but I am 27.5 curious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'll definitely be doing a comparison video. I'm a small guy, so it'll be in that context, but they are similar, yet different. The Rollik is way more plush and easier to pull into a manual and goof around on. But the mayhem is surprisingly balanced and fun, for a 29er.

I haven't ridden clipped in for 4 years, but the best way I have to compare them is, the mayhem makes me want to clip in and sprint everywhere, and the rollik makes me want to goof off and turn the world into a skatepark. I'm faster on the mayhem, until it gets super chunky. The mayhem makes easy trails more fun. In black diamond territory, i'd rather have the rollik. On blues and greens, the mayhem is more spry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Cool Steve, looking forward to the video. Ive got my Mayhem set up with a 36 at 150mm. Makes it damn capable in the chunk.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've got a 140 36 up front on mine. I can't get the rear end of the mayhem nearly as smooth/plush as my rollik, but I'm still dialing in suspension settings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've got a 140 36 up front on mine. I can't get the rear end of the mayhem nearly as smooth/plush as my rollik, but I'm still dialing in suspension settings.
    Yeah, the rear on the Mayhem is more fussy than most to get setup correctly. I'm not normally very sensitive to changes in rear suspension, but even I could tell a difference in feel with just a few PSI either way. For what it's worth, I ended up a few PSI below Spots recommendation for my weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Great info! So, considering a Rollik over the new Bronson or 5010. Still undecided, but leaning Spot. I'm on the CO Front Range, ride hard (smash rocks and am kinda a hack), but have a Guerilla gravity Smash for that. Age is slowing me down so I'm not crushing it every ride. Looking at smaller wheels and lighter weight bike for my daily driver. The 5010 is the only smaller travel I'm considering, but playfulness and cornering are my wants. This Rollik appears to check the boxes along with better travel.#'s. Ie: maybe the perfect mix of the 2 SC offerings. Here's my question: at 230#'s and used to squishy bikes, can I get the Rollik to be reasonably plush and not bottom out the travel on most rides. I often struggle to dial in air shocks without compromising one attribute for another. Plush or efficiency. Thx!
    Guerilla Gravity stable: Megatrail, Trail Pistol, Pedalhead

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yes, it can definitely be dialed for the ride you state, but there are squishier plow bikes that may be better. While the rollik can smash into rocks, it really benefits from an active rider who is pumping, cornering, and really riding and reading the trail actively. (The same can be saidnfornyhe 5010). To me, the rillik has all the benefits of a 5010, but with more squish and the ability to hit bigger, chunkier stuff.

I havent ridden the new bronson yet, but from what i hear, it's a super capable bike on the downs, almost like a nomad. It tends to be more plow than the 5010 (and tge rollik)

A 5010 wouldn't be great for plowing/smashing either.

Since you're on the front range, id recommend calling spot and arranging a demo. My rollik is my fsvorite bike ive ever ridden, but if i were smashing more than carving and pumping, id go with a different bike. If youre smadhing a lit, you may orefer a float x2 on the rear.

The suspension can be dialed to feel however you want, but it does take a good knowledge of how to tun dr suspension. I wish i could tell you and east, foolproof setting thst yields best reaults for everyone, but it takes some tuning. Im running a biggwr vilume spacer than stock and it's perfect for me.

Also, see if you can give the mayhem a try. I corner, climb, and descend faster on the mayhem. If youre a taller guy you may really like it. Personally, i LOVE the mayhem with plus tires. Its a little slower than with 29s, but so much fun. Th as t being said, i feel the rollik is the better bike for me since i dont csre anout times or speed, and im just trying to jjmp and manual everything i can.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thx Steve! So there in lies my dilemma. No demos available for any of the 3 and all are in pretty high demand so once they ship I'll have little time to make a decision. Gathering info based on others experiences to help me move quickly once they do come here. I'm not worried about smashing rocks with this bike as much as I just want to dial it in for the majority of my local terrain. Very little buff singletrack here, but the Rollik was designed here so it fits the bill. Climb 2000+ feet on singletrack then turn around and go back down. I want poppy so that's good, just don't want to dial out all of the plush to keep from blowing through the travel. I'm pretty sold on this bike. Done lots of trailwork with the Spot Crew so I have a distinct advantage of getting hands on help getting dialed.
    Guerilla Gravity stable: Megatrail, Trail Pistol, Pedalhead

I can't ride 45!
    Patt, seconding Steve's recommendation on running a larger volume spacer. The Rollik is a special bike, but in my experience it takes some playing with shock setup to get the most out of it. I settled on the .86 cubic inch air volume spacer and for air pressure run about 95% of rider weight. That, along with a few clicks of compression dampening, gives me a the ride I'm looking for while not blowing through travel, which I found to be a problem with smaller volume spacers.

The bike seems particular sensitive to rebound dampening settings as well. I'm running much more rebound dampening than I have on other bikes (not sure of number of clicks). I'm actually not sure if this is the bike or the DPX2, but dialing up the rebound dampening has been a game changer for my setup.

For me the Rollik with this setup really opens up at speed and is incredibly controlled through rough terrain. And it still retains the trademark "poppy-ness" and cornering of the bike. It just wants to go fast. At slower speeds and during climbing the suspension feels firm not plush. Hopefully this helps with your setup if you go the Rollik route.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thx Jason. If they do come in Nov, I plan to be on it by Dec.. it'll give me some time to dial it all in. I'll for sure be referring back to this thread

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The rollik sounds like a good bet for you then. Its my favorite bike ive ever ridden. The mayhem is even poppier and climbs even better (and corners extremely well too), but i tend to keep my front wheel on the ground more often on the mayhem. Ill have a mayhem review video soon.

To me, i want to be clipped in on the mayhem and go as fast as i can up and down. On the rollik i prefer flat pedals and goofing off/jumping anywhere i can.

I use a lot of rebpund damping too. I think the liv9ng link adds to a faster rebound feeling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm pretty sure they have the Mayhem to demo. I might go try that out. Awesome info brother thx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    They do have a L mayhem, I demod it last month. Was hoping for a rollik, but nada.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'd be testing the Living Link feel more than anything. I say this with zero knowledge and full disclaimer that I could recant this statement, but the Rollik is my jam. I have a 29er, just looking for the playfulness and mobility of smaller wheels and all day fun. I.dont care much about going fast long distance. Everything here is either up or down. I could be sold on the Mayhem with a 140/130 setup, but my drive is for the Rollik at this point. Gonna demo it but I think I'm an XL. I prefer 35 to 40mm stems and 800+ bars. I'm wide. Hoping it helps me decide faster once the Rollik does come in stock

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That was my same thought, test out the feel. Granted it was a short ride, but the description of some experiences on here lead me to believe it would be more connected (didnt want to say harsh) and less plush than it was - felt very plush to me and yet lovely at the same time. Now this is in comparison to my V1 Following, but the extra 9mm extra rear travel felt noticeable. Another variable: the mayhem had 36/dpx2 vs my pike/monarch combo; and Ive always been a bit partial to the feel of Fox products. As for sizing, my V1 is an XL and the L Mayhem felt pretty similar, would be pretty torn between L and XL on a Spot bike. Would lean XL with short stem. Im 74 185lbs and like to ride loose and fast, but not great at jumps fwiw.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD View Post
    I'd be testing the Living Link feel more than anything. I say this with zero knowledge and full disclaimer that I could recant this statement, but the Rollik is my jam. I have a 29er, just looking for the playfulness and mobility of smaller wheels and all day fun. I.dont care much about going fast long distance. Everything here is either up or down. I could be sold on the Mayhem with a 140/130 setup, but my drive is for the Rollik at this point. Gonna demo it but I think I'm an XL. I prefer 35 to 40mm stems and 800+ bars. I'm wide. Hoping it helps me decide faster once the Rollik does come in stock
    Yup, based on what you describe, the rollik is going to be your jam.

I currently have a Mayhem and a Rollik in the garage, and it's fun to compare them and ride them back to back.

The Mayhem I'm riding at the moment is a 140/130 with the fox 36 and DPX2 upgrade. For reference, I'm runing 2 larger spacers in the mayhem than what it comes with. It comes with a 0.2* spacer that felt awesome and plush everywhere, but when I was hitting jumps it was bottoming out. So I installed a 0.6" spacer, and it ramps up much better. I still use 90% of the suspension for normal riding, and 100% when jumping without any harsh bottom outs.

The rollik feels more plush than the mayhem without being soggy/wallowy. It will also handle more rowdy terrain, and sacrifice very little on the climbing. The only bike I've ridden that climbs better than a rollik is a mayhem.

The rollik is the perfect balance between plush and supportive (in my opinoin). The 130mm travel on the mayhem is amazing for what it is, but for what you're describing, the rollik is the way to go. For most riders over 5'8", i'd recommend the mayhem, as most riders aren't doing manuals, bunny hops, jumps, etc., and the mayhem is a bit more fun on easy trails. But for what you've described, the rollik is the winner for you.

Riding a mayhem will at least give you the idea of what the living link feels like. The two bikes climb and descend faily similarly. Expect the rollik to have more climbing traction (the rollik tracks the ground a little better than the mayhem on climbs). Both bikes will give you the feeling that you have a little extra spring in your step; that each pedal stroke takes you a little farther than you anticipated.

If you've ridden the mayhem, here's how the rollik will feel different:

The mayhem is faster on the climbs. To me, it feels a little bit like a hardtail. Super efficient. No bobbing of the suspension when climbing. A small sacrifice of climbing traction - sometimes the suspension won't conform to the ground quite as much as I had hoped, but if I ride it like a hardtail, no problem. The rollik feels glued to the ground and doesn't feel like a hardtail when climbing. The mayhem is great for sprints or long days in the saddle.

The rollik has that same super efficient feel as the mayhem, where every pedal stroke takes you further than you thought. It doesn't bob at all, but the suspension seems to track the ground better than the mayhem for some reason on the climbs.

On the downs, the mayhem is more progressive and will ramp up quicker. It can be tuned to be plush, or firm, depending on rear suspension setup. The mayhem corners extremely well, and doesn't feel like an awkward 29er at all. I'm really impressed with how well the mayhem corners. While I can still manual the mayhem, it takes considerably more effort to loft the front wheel than the rollik. With the rollik, I try to manual every chance I get. Even though the mayhem has 440mm chainstays, they feel shorter for jumps, hops, and manuals. The mayhem is a lot more playful than a hightower or a yeti 4.5, despite having similar chainstay lengths.

The rollik changes direction faster than the mayhem, and is a little easier to put it where you want it. Those smaller wheels and shorter chainstay really make it fun to whip around corners (especially if you have excellent cornering technique).

The mayhem is a little poppier, in that it'll launch off little bumps and get a lot of air. The rollik soaks the bumps up a tiny bit more, and it's slightly less progressive. That being said, it's still more poppy than a bronson or an HD4. In other words, both are plenty poppy, but the rollik isn't quite as poppy as the mayhem.

The rollik, due to its longer travel, will allow you to get away with sloppy line choice better than the mayhem. It'll also handle much chunkier terrian. That being said, i'd have no problem taking the mayhem on black diamond trails. For trails with steep chutes, lots of tight twisty sections, and cinder-block size rocks, I'd rather have the rollik. For mellow flowy trails (blue and green trails), I think the mayhem is more exciting and can be ridden at its limits more than the rollik.

I hope that helps. It's always a tricky thing to put ride characteristics into words, especially when everyone rides differently and wants something different in the way their bike performs. I'd rather have zero bob with a supportive suspension than a sloppy mattress I can ride down the hill and plow over anything in my way. But some people prefer the opposite.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cool! Yeah glad you say that as I was concerned i wouldn't get a demo ride before pulling the trigger. I.compared geo#'s to my GG Smash and the XL pairs up to the L Smash. GG bikes fit me exactly how I like. I'll get in there next week and get and get on the Mayhem. If I ever did consider one it would be with the 140 36/DPX upgrade. We'll see. Ill report back

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    To me, the mayhem with 650B+ wheels is a riot. So much fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here are a few trails I've ridden. I'll list which bike I'd pick for each trail.

Bike A: Rollik 607
    Bike B: Mayhem 29er
    Bike C: Mayhem 650B+ (this feels like it has an extra inch of travel over then 29er)

Downieveille - This is a tough choice. All 3 would be awesome. I'd probably pick the mayhem 29er.

Slickrock bike trail - mayhem 29er (650B+ in a close second)

The Whole Enchilada - Rollik by a lot. Second place would be a Mayhem 650B+. A mayhem with 29ers would work, but you'd be a little more beat up at the bottom than the other two.

Captain Ahab
    - Rollik

Navajo Rocks
    - mayhem 29

Dead Horse Point, Bar M, Klondike Bluffs - Mayhem 29

mag 7 - mayhem 29 for everyrhing except portal. Id want the rollik for portal.

Flow/Braille in Santa Cruz - Rollik with Mayhem 29 in a close second.

Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz - Mayhem 29

Squamish - Rollik

Hiline, hangover, and high on the Hog in sedona - Rollik

Crested butte - Mayhem 29 (Unless you're riding Dr. Park or evlolution - then I'd choose the rollik)

Gunnison - Rollik or Mayhem 650B+

Eagle, CO - Mayhem 29

Most of northern CA and oregon - All 3. Mayhem 29 if you don't manual a ton.

Bentonville - Rollik if you hit the drops bigger than 4 feet, Mayhem if you don't.

Duthie Hill bike park - Rollik

Tiger MTN
    - Rollik

Gooseberry Mesa
    - Rollik 29

Mt. Lemmon
    - Tucson, AZ - Rollik

South Mountain Phoeniz
    - Rollik (by a long shot)

Pisgah/Duponte
    - Rollik

Chattanooga - Mayhem 29

For me, if the mayhem had the short chainstays of the rollik, I'd pick it 90% of the time. But... it doesn't... so a lot of the time I pick the rollik it's because of the playful short rear end moree than the travel. Not everybody likes short chainstays. If you're taller, you may prefer the mahem. The longer chainstays of the mayhem make it corner extremely well on sweepers and fast corners.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Really, the main things that differentiate them are:

Chainstays

Rollik - 430mm - short, easy to turn on a dime, easy to manual. Handles like a slalom bike (like a SC 5010)

Mayhem - 440mm - more stable at speed, fantastic for sweeping turns, harder to lift the front wheel for manuals and bunny-hops (unless you're tall). Handles like a trail bike - (more fun than a hightower or yeti 4.5, but similar in overall feel).

Suspension feel

Rollik- a bit more plush. More traction when climbing (more like a bronson than a 5010).

Mayhem - sporty, spry, quick to sprint. Quite plush for 130mm, but it ramps up quicker than the rollik. It's a bit more progressive (more like a SC 5010 than a bronson). Geo/feel on the downhill is a lot like the new Stumpy, only it handles better than the stumpy.

Travel

Rollik - 150mm - better for enduro/black diamond trails withi rocks the size of watermelons.

Mayhem - 130mm 29er - rolls fast, stays up to speed really well, turns great, jumps great, but is a little overwhelmed on really chunky trails with watermelon sized rocks. For trails with cantelope sized rocks it's just fine. More fun and faster on "most" trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    To me, the mayhem with 650B+ wheels is a riot. So much fun.
    I spend most of my time with my Mayhem in 29er mode, but have to agree with this. While its not as fast, the plus tires on this bike are a riot! So much traction! Really enjoy it when my local trails turn to moon dust mid summer. I do find I have to be more mindful of pedal strikes as the plus setup does lower the BB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    They sell a spacer to run under the fork for 650B+ to keep the BB up. I especially like 650B+ in terrain with square-edge rocks (southern colorado, moab, arizona). The tires help you keep your momentum on square-edge hits where it would otherwise rattle you to death. At least that's my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Maybe the most thorough review comparison ive seen, but Having ridden many of those trails, it gives a solid perspective of both bikes capabilities. I guess I won't count the mayhem out. Especially since I have the GG for all of the rides you outlined the Rollik being the best choice for

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    They sell a spacer to run under the fork for 650B+ to keep the BB up. I especially like 650B+ in terrain with square-edge rocks (southern colorado, moab, arizona). The tires help you keep your momentum on square-edge hits where it would otherwise rattle you to death. At least that's my thoughts.
    I'm running mine with the Fox 36 set at 150mm, so wouldn't want the spacer installed as well. The BB isn't ridiculously low in plus mode, but I get used to just pedaling through the chunky stuff with the big wheels. I just have to pay a little more attention to where my pedals are with the fatties on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm really interested in getting a Spot. I'm assuming most of you guys don't ride diamondbacks, but I'm trying to compare the DB Release 5C with a Rollik 4 star build. They have the same fork and shock but release is 150/130, which would be fine for me. Release is an XO1 drivetrain vs GX. Release has carbon cranks. Wheels don't matter much to me because I would be using my own DT Swiss'. Release is 32lbs. Release would cost me $800 less with a work discount. I guess what I'm asking is the Spot that much better than the release that it's worth paying $800 more for worse specs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've ridden a Release 5C for a day at tiger mtn. We were on predator. I didnt have time t fully dial in the rear suspension, but i got it close. I was able to ride the whole trail on it. It is a STOUT bike!

I stated this in the review video for the rollik, but for me, no matter how cheap a bike is, or how nice of a derailleur it comes with, if the frame doesn't have the geometry and ride characteristics I like, it's not worth it. Components are easy to swap. Frames aren't. I'd rather have a spot with NX components than almost anything else with XX1 components. It's hard to put a value on how a frame rides, but to me, the frame is everything. It's the soul of the bike. Components will change 5% how a bike rides. A frame changes 95% of how it rides. I can't tell the difference between carbon cranks and heavy aluminum cranks. I can't tell a difference between a GX derailleur and an XX1. But I can definitely tell the difference between a 5C and a Stumpjumper and a Rollik.

I'd be happy to answer any comparison questions you have between the Release 5C and the rollik. The release is a good bike for the price, and its nearly indestructable, but it didn't blow me away. It wasnt great at anything and it wasnt awful at anything. I prefer everything about the rollik except the price, and the thinner carbon on the frame.

The Release 5C is a capable bike, and the frame is STOUT! I doubt you could break one of those frames. I have friends who ride for DB and they love their 5C, but to me, it felt like a heavy, less-plush 5010 with a big fork.

The rollik's frame isn't as thick and beefy and stout as the Release 5C. I don't have issues with the rollik, but if you're ditching the bike down stairs or chucking it in the trees like Seth and Alex, the DB would probably be the better choice.

To me, I'd pay $2k more for the spot over the release. It's easy to compare components side by side, but it's harder to compare how a bike actually rides when you're looking at charts. If you've ever ridden a frame that rode like garbage, you'll know that no amount of components can make up for the crappy ride of the frame. I'm not saying the 5C is a crappy bike; it isn't. It's my favorite Diamondback I've ridden, and it's a good price for what it is, but I would definitely spend more and get a spot... or any other number of frames. I'd rather have an aluminum bronson or 5010 than a 5C.

That being said, a lot of people like bike that i don't and vice versa. Your best bet is to try both, but to me, the living link is really something special.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sorry to be dominating this conversation so much. I just know there aren't many people who have ridden these bikes, and I love sharing my experiences with them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Man what a great, thoughtful response! Super helpful. What I'm after is an all mountain bike that is sufficiently plush and playful but is super efficient. I want a bike that is fast and climbs exceptionally well. Sounds like that's exactly where Spots excel, which is why I'm drawn to them. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna spend more money and there really not be a huge difference in the end. Sounds like there is a huge difference though. Truthfully, that's what I was hoping to hear because the bike looks awesome to me!

I've ridden a Release 5C.

I stated this in the review video for the rollik, but for me, no matter how cheap a bike is, or how nice of a derailleur it comes with, if the frame doesn't have the geometry and ride characteristics I like, it's not worth it. Components are easy to swap. Frames aren't. I'd rather have a spot with NX components than almost anything else with XX1 components. It's hard to put a value on how a frame rides, but to me, the frame is everything. It's the soul of the bike. Components will change 5% how a bike rides. A frame changes 95% of how it rides. I can't tell the difference between carbon cranks and heavy aluminum cranks. I can't tell a difference between a GX derailleur and an XX1. But I can definitely tell the difference between a 5C and a Stumpjumper and a Rollik.

I'd be happy to answer any comparison questions you have between the Release 5C and the rollik. To me, they're not even in the same leauge/category. The release is a good bike for what it is, but it didn't blow me away.

The Release 5C is a capable bike, and the frame is STOUT! I doubt you could break one of those frames. I have friends who ride for DB and they love their 5C, but to me, it felt like a heavy, less-plush 5010 with a big fork.

The rollik's frame isn't as thick and beefy and stout as the Release 5C. I don't have issues with the rollik, but if you're ditching the bike down stairs or chucking it in the trees like Seth and Alex, the DB would probably be the better choice.

To me, I'd pay $2k more for the spot over the release. It's easy to compare components side by side, but it's harder to compare how a bike actually rides when you're looking at charts. If you've ever ridden a frame that rode like garbage, you'll know that no amount of components can make up for the crappy ride of the frame. I'm not saying the 5C is a crappy bike; it isn't. It's my favorite Diamondback I've ridden, and it's a good price for what it is, but I would definitely spend more and get a spot... or any other number of frames. I'd rather have an aluminum bronson or 5010 than a 5C.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    There's a HUGE difference!

Both the rollik and the mayhem are super efficient and climb really well. Based on what you described, fast, efficient, and climbs fast, the mayhem 29 might be your favorite. That bike is a ROCKET and it flies once you get it up to speed. As I stated above, it's not quite as playful as the rollik (due to the longer rear end), but it's still nice and poppy and jumps really well.

It sounds dumb, but the best way to describe the difference for me is... i want to clip in on the mayhem and ride everything as fast as possible, and I want to ride flat pedals on the rollik and goof around as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Looks like my last post didn't post. I hadn't looked much at the mayhem, but it looks like a killer bike too! Looks like I could put my 27.5+ wheels on there too on occasion, which would be nice. You might be right that the mayhem would be a better bike for what I'm prioritizing on this one. I don't have a lot of experience on 29ers though. I can rent a lot of different bikes in my area from the large bike manufacturers. Any recommendations on a trek, specialized, etc 29er that would have a somewhat similar feel to the mayhem? Just so I can compare to 27.5. I'm 5'11 so that should be fine.

There's a HUGE difference!

Both the rollik and the mayhem are super efficient and climb really well. Based on what you described, fast, efficient, and climbs fast, the mayhem 29 might be your favorite. That bike is a ROCKET and it flies once you get it up to speed. As I stated above, it's not quite as playful as the rollik (due to the longer rear end), but it's still nice and poppy and jumps really well.

It sounds dumb, but the best way to describe the difference for me is... i want to clip in on the mayhem and ride everything as fast as possible, and I want to ride flat pedals on the rollik and goof around as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im typically not a big fan of 29ers, but the mayhem is fun in the way it corners and maintains its speed. The following mb feels like a 27.5 even though its a 29er. It is more playful and plush than the mayhem, but i dont like the way it climbs at all. The mayhem feels kinda like a lightweight pivot switchblade with longer chainstays.

Uphill, the mayhem feels closest to a yeti sb 4.5 or 5+, but its still quite different.

On the downs it feels kinda like the new stumpy, with slightly longer chainstays. I prefer the mayhem over the stumpy for everything except manuals. The stumpy manuals a little easier. The mayhem sorta feels like a hightower, but the hta feels slacker (in a good way) and its a lot more fun to jump around on and play than a hightower, and it corners way better.

The rollik is fantastic, but for somekne who wants to go as fast as possible up, down, and around corners, the mayhem has a slight edge over the rollik. It holds speed/momentum better.

Im not a fan of most 29ers, and i still prefer the rollik over the mayhem for my riding, but for taller people and those who want speed, the mayhem is such a solid choice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If youre going to ride the mayhem hard, at 9/10 of its pote tial, i would go for the fox 36 and dpx2 upgrade. If you wont be hitting drops, gap jumps, or pusjong it jard, the regular build (34, non piggyback) is plenty burly and saves weight.

Still chuggin' along
    I wouldn't dismiss the Mayhem 29er for short people either. I'm only 5'4" and coming from an extra small 26" bike, I really thought it was going to be a big adjustment going to 29"" wheels Small size. It wasn't at all. The bike fits like a glove and I've never been so comfortable on a bike before. There seems to be a really good range of sizes that fit well on this bike from short people to extra larges.

Most of my riding is slower, rooty East Coast typical stuff and the Mayhem does well. I'm amazed at how easy it is to climb with it and it definitely performs better at higher speeds. Its a really fun bike to ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I agree. This is one of the few 29ers that doesn't feel huge to me. Im 5'6" and im on a medium. my butt buzzes the rear tire on manuals and steep descents, and it takes a lot of effort for me to bunnyhop (due to the longer chainsrays). If it had the 430mm chainstays of the rollik it would probably be my main bike over the rollik.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Some great discussion here, thanks to everyone and especially Steve for all the details! I'm considering the Rollik or the Mayhem but one thing that gives me a bit of pause is the dropper length capability. I'd be on a medium and it looks like they ship with 125mm Bikeyokes. I've really become spoiled by how much a 150 drop lets me move around on the bike. Anyone have success with a 150 on a medium? I see One Up has a shimmable dropper that'll let you adjust which seems like a really great feature. Maybe I'll contact Spot to see what max insertion on the seat tube is and try to work out just what can fit.

Also, longshot, but anyone compare this to a Ripmo? I'm looking for a travel 'go anywhere, do anything' bike that is still manageable and fun on the tight trails. The Ripmo or Rollik is likely too much bike for much of my riding but they both seem to be quite efficient and can ride smaller if need be. It's looking like the Mayhem 29 with 140 fork would be the smart choice for me but I'm also wondering if maybe they won't update it with slightly more 'fun' geometry like they did with the Rollik.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My wife has a 160 bike yoke reviv on her small rolli. It fits, it's just taller at max insertion than I can use, so I use a 125mm. I typically only like 150mm posts, but for some reason the 125mm doesn't feel like it's in the way when it's slammed.

I haven't ridden a ripmo yet. I've ridden a mojo 3, an HD4, and 2018 ripley. Comparing the living link with Ibis' DW link, the living link bobs less and accelerates faster. The ibis DW link will have more traction climbing and bob a litttle more. On the downs they'll feel very similar, with a little more excitment and spring in the spot.

I can't remember if ibis uses bushings, but I think they do. Spot uses bearings with o-rings on both sides. I really like how stout Spot's pivots are. I feel zero flex in the rear end. I've also hear ibis paint chips easily, if that matters to you. The spot paint has been extremely durable for me. I don't have any chips in the paint.

I think the main difference will be the reduced offset with the fork on the ripmo. You'll deffinitely feel that. It's a pretty cool feeling if you haven't ridden a super slack, reduced offset fork yet. A lot of people love the ripmo. I'd love to compare the two one day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yagr68 View Post
    Some great discussion here, thanks to everyone and especially Steve for all the details! I'm considering the Rollik or the Mayhem but one thing that gives me a bit of pause is the dropper length capability. I'd be on a medium and it looks like they ship with 125mm Bikeyokes. I've really become spoiled by how much a 150 drop lets me move around on the bike. Anyone have success with a 150 on a medium? I see One Up has a shimmable dropper that'll let you adjust which seems like a really great feature. Maybe I'll contact Spot to see what max insertion on the seat tube is and try to work out just what can fit.
    Yep, the long seat tube is one of my only real criticisms of the Mayhem. I'm 5'11" on a large and had to downsize to a 125mm dropper to make it work. A 19" seat tube on a large frame is pretty old school these days. I'm sure Spot will address this in the next version of the Mayhem, but who knows when that will be. In the interim, that One Up dropper looks like a good solution.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Even though my rollik has a short seat tube, the upper pivot bolt that intersects the seat tube is the limiting factor on slamming your post. So... while on paper the seat tube is shorter, that doesn't really make a huge difference since I still have 2" of exposed dropper above the seat collar. When my mayhem has the seat slammed, there's still an inch and a half sticking up above the collar. I'm not sure how I could use a 1" shorter seat tube.

On paper it looks like it'd be awful like a yeti, but when the seat is down it's out of my way (and I only have a 28" inseam).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A little more rollik video from Moab recently.

And a little jimping on the mayhem.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo-T7VeH...emoreweexplore

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Cool, thanks for the info guys. I have about a 30" inseam and I actually find that on a lot bikes that come with a 150, I have to swap to 125 for exactly the reasons Steve mentioned. The One up sounds like a great solution for those of us with shorter inseams.

The Ripmo is getting so much hype, I really have to try one. The Pivot Trail 429 is on my radar also. It seems to be built like a tank but I think I'm going to want more than 130/120.

Unfortunately, it looks like Spot demo events are done for the year and I hate buying something I haven't ridden. A quick trip to CO to ride a few bikes sure sounds fun though! I'm assuming it's not too late in the season yet.

mtbr member
    Man, you guys have me dyin to try a Rolly. Ill never get a demo ride in Phoenix but Ill buy a frame based on reviews and recommendations. But $2800 for a frame, and the frame is 7+ pounds? Is the weight a negative for you? It sure is for me. Why so heavy? Is it super beefy?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It sure doesnt feel like 7 lbs to me. That's gotta be frame and shock... and something else. My rollik feels lighter than my 29lb bronson cc was with a nearly identical build spec.

Ill have my size small rollik in tucson in january. If you still dont have one by then, and the small isn't way too small, you're welcome to take it for a test ride.

I dont usually weigh my bikes. I probably should, but there are no parts id swap put, so its really just a number to me. It doesnt feel heavy to me.

mtbr member
    Thats mighty nice of you. I may just take you up on that. Im a medium or large frame guy but Id jump on the opportunity. Im in no real hurry to buy...need to generate a good $20K+ in net income to pay 2018 taxes before I even think about a new toy like a bike frame. So 2019 will be when I buy anyway. Maybe Ill think of a reason to get down to Tucson and bring my 26 down for a little Mt. Lemmon action.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
    Man, you guys have me dyin to try a Rolly. Ill never get a demo ride in Phoenix but Ill buy a frame based on reviews and recommendations. But $2800 for a frame, and the frame is 7+ pounds? Is the weight a negative for you? It sure is for me. Why so heavy? Is it super beefy?
    Cant speak directly to the Rollik as I have a Mayhem, but yeah its a beefy frame. Easily the stiffest bike Ive owned. Does not get deflected and will go where you point it.

Like anyone, Id prefer it if it were lighter, but I wouldnt want to give up the frame stiffness for a couple of ounces.

For reference the new Yeti SB 130 (very similar to the Mayhem) is also sporting a 7lbs frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Id be curious to hear how the sb130 compares to the mayhem. The sb130 is very intriguing bike on paper.

mtbr member
    Id be curious to hear how the sb130 compares to the mayhem. The sb130 is very intriguing bike on paper.
    But its a Yeti, so hopefully you never find out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The numbers on the SB130 do look good. The slightly longer top tube and shorter seat tube are what Id expect/hope to see in an updated Mayhem. That said, if you follow the SB130 thread over in the Yeti forum, sounds like they are having some issues with frame flex/loose rear ends. Yeti customer service doesn't seem to be winning any awards dealing with the issues. It's also a $3500 frame. Ouch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    If anyone's looking.... our Chasing Epic demo bikes are for sale, and they'll be shipping in a week or two. I've got four Rolliks for sale, all of them are 5-star builds (XO1, Fox Factory suspension, Stan's Flow MK3 wheels, BikeYoke Revive dropper, etc). Two mediums, one large and one XL.

$3500 each plus shipping. If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM.
    One black medium and one red XL Rollik are still available. Both are 5-star builds, as mentioned above. $3500 plus shipping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    One black medium and one red XL Rollik are still available. Both are 5-star builds, as mentioned above. $3500 plus shipping.
    Are you willing to strip down the black medium and sell the frame only?

mtbr member
    No, unfortunately not. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Great information Steve. I am in Phoenix and make my way to Sedona a few times a year. As you probably know, not a lot of flow here. Sounds like riding South Mountain and Sedona (blue mostly but some black as I advance) you are taking the Rollik all day? Really debating between these two but if the Rollik does climb that well, sounds like the perfect South Mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For blue trails, you will probably prefer the mayhem. It's more fun to ride 130mm bikes to their limit than to ride 150mm bikes at half their potential.

I usually ride national and mormon trails on south mtn. The mayhem climbs faster and keeps its momentum better, but the rollik is my preferred bike for that terrain.

For mt lemon id pick the rollik. For macdowell regional park, id pick the mayhem.

The mayhem would be fine on all the sedona trails, but for the big trails like high on the hog, hangover, and highline, I'd rather have the quicker turning and easier bike placement of the rollik. For slim shady, both would be awesome. The mayhem would keep its speed up so well, and turn that trail into a flowy trail.

The rollik changes direction better, and the mayhem keeps its speed better well. If your trails arent super steep, the mayhem usually gets my choice. If the mayhem had 430mm chainstays like the rollik, it would be the perfect trail bike for me (but people who dont lift the front wheel much would rather have long chainstays)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Now that's exciting!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Did that video maybe get released a bit early? Neither the Mayhem nor the Rollik show this type of link on Spot's homepage. Looks like some updated bikes are coming which is indeed exciting.

Also, the Rollik 607 is on "sale" but if I'm not mistaken, the prices are the same as they were before. I only pay attention to the frame only and I think it's always been $2899?

Edit - Looks like a Rollik update since current HA is 66.4 and is referenced in video. Maybe a more permanent re-design for the link that a couple of people had broken frames due to. (Not trying to rehash that!)
    Last edited by yagr68; 1 Week Ago at 10:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's all speculation at this point, though the fact that it was released on their YouTube channel gives it a bit more validity. For all we know, this could just be a concept/prototype. Either way, it's exciting to see companies like Spot pushing innovation and trying new things.

The current (v2) upper link is plenty permanent. There are zero issues with the new link. It wouldn't make sense to redesign the rear triangle when the existing link works just fine. If this is an indication of something that'll make it into production, it's going to be either a new bike or an update to an existing model.

If you look closely, you'll notice it's an entirely different rear triangle. Neither the mayhem nor the rollik have a rear end like that. I believe the rollik and mayhem share the same front triangle too (though I can't conform that), and I wonder if they're able to keep the same front triangle for this model as well.

It introduces a new pivot, and I wonder if it would still keep its legendary sttiffness.

I'd love to try one with a 64* hta and a reduced offset fork (as an experiment). It may be totally worse, but it may be awesome too. Either way, the current rollik is still my favorite bike I've ever ridden.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 1 Week Ago at 11:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks Steve. Now that you have had more time on the Mayhem, any thoughts on the HTA? You had mentioned in your previous reviews you thought it could be slackened a bit but I am guessing that would be relative to the Rollik? I currently have a Hightower, like it dont love it. Agree that the VPP really hangs up on certain terrain. Looking for something that pedals a little better but is as good down hill. The more I ride I think I am looking for something a little more playful. The HT doesnt turn into corners as well as I would like but that is likely down to me (probably). I am after slightly newer geometry and the SB130 and Ripmo just seem like too big of a bike. I am going to pick up a Mayhem or Rollik, just narrowing it down and spending way too much time overthinking as I likely wont ride either before purchasing. The deal on the 6 star Rollik right now I think is a ridiculous amount of bike for the money, just down to 27.5 vs 29 at this point.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great timing! Im uploadong my mayhem review right now. It should be available in a few hours.

For my style, i like the mahyem with the 140mm fox 36 and the dpx2. The head angle on the mayhem feels perfect for the type of bike it is.

I discuss rollik vs mayhem a bit in today's video. The mayhem is still really fun, but the rollik is easier to loft the front wheel for short riders. For people over 5'8, i think the mayhem may be the perfect bike for most. My buddy is 6' and he can manual my mahem for days. I think it's mostly my short legs that make it tough to manual for me.

The rollik has more travel and is more plush than the mayhem. The mayhem is significantly faster. Both jump extremely well. I like both a lot more than the hightower, stumpy 29er, and almost every other 29er. I feel like its more fun to ride a 130mm bike at 10/10s than to ride an enduro bike at 70%

Remind me where you live, what your favorite trails are, what your riding style is like, and how tall you are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Looking forward to the review! I am 6 feet tall and live in Phoenix. Ride a lot of South Mountain and am trying to get a habit of going to Sedona more often and started heading down to Tucson to ride as well. I relatively new to the sport so still learning but am riding a lot and am addicted at this point. I dont necessarily like riding Mormon and National every day, but am enjoying them more as i advance. Trying to ride all of the south mountain trails and different terrain to keep learning. Havent spent a ton of time on 27.5. My few bikes have been 29ers. Love the roll over but I keep finding myself wanting to carve through the trails a little more, I just enjoy that more than bashing through stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Man, either would be great for you. The rollik will erase the trail a bit more. The mayhem will make you want to go as fast as posible everywhere. Based on your height and what you've described, i think i would recommend the mayhem. Its such an incredible bike, and if you're not riding big chunk like hangover or mormon/national every day, the mayem with the 140mm fork sounds like the ticket. Its an incredible bike.

If you talk to paul at spot and tell him Steve from Dusty Betty recommended the mayhem, he can add his experiences too. He knows my riding style and preference, and he has a lot more experience on the mayhem than I do. He's a fantastic rider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    And for favorite trails, I would say that Javelina and the west end of desert classic (a little more chunky and elevation change) are my favorites here as well as Haws. Love Mescal/Chuckwagon loop up in Sedona and the 50 year/chutes in Tucson.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    [ORIGINAL REPLY EDITED] - I got confused on the chutes vs slabs of 50 year trail, sorry!

For the trails you mentioned, Mayhem all the way.

The chutes would be a blast on the mayhem. It would be so fast and keep its speed up so well. It would handle those sweeping turns and dips like a champ.

Mescal/chuckwagon, as well as javelina would be best on the mayhem, where it can keep its momentum the whole time.

Both of these bikes have a huge overlap, and both can be ridden on any trail. If you like keeping your speed/momentum up, the mayhem is the ticket.

If you're getting into slow moves, either up or down, on technical terrain (hiline, hogs, hangover, 50 year chutes, etc.), then the rollik will let you place the bike exactly where you want a little easier. It also has a bit more room for error if you accidentally get off line and have to plow through the nasty stuff.

Both are incredibly fun due to the living link. The rollik is a fantastic AM/Enduro bike, and the Mayhem is a fantastic trail/AM machine.

Have you ridden a plus bike before? The mayhem with plus tires would be awesome on 50 year, as well as a lot of the sedona trails. It'll be a little slower and won't keep its momentum quite as well as the 29er, but it almost acts like adding 15mm of travel to the bike. With plus tires, the mayhem can tackle some seriously brutal pieces of trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    @Tchilds, I mispoke in my original reply (now fixed). I got confused and thought you were talking about the big rock slabs of 50 year trail, not the chutes. For the chutes and the other trails you mentioned, mayhem 100%

My favorite section of 50 year is the upper section with the big, SUPER steep rock slabs. I'm talking the sections that are too steep/scary to walk down. For that super technical stuff, the rollik would have the upper hand for me. That trail has a lot of 2' ledges mid-climb, and I feel the rollik is easier to lift the front wheel and muscle over technical terrain like that I'm able to clean all those climbs on my rollik, but I'm not sure I could do it on the Mayhem due to my size. On the downs, the rollik is going to be eaisier to guide down the technical chutes and steep, loose hairpin turns due to the slightly shorter rear end and the smaller wheels. It can be done on both bikes, but i feel the rollik is 20% better for that trail. However, with you being 6' tall, that extra 1 cm of rear chainstay on the Mayhem may not make much of a difference at all, and it may actually end up fitting you better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I know this thread is about the rollik 607, but there have been a lot of questions about how it compares to the Mayhem. Here's my review of the Mayhem. Part 2 compares it to the rollik.

Last edited by sixstringsteve; 20 Hours Ago at 05:07 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast